Author Topic: Ever consider a book?  (Read 6458 times)

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
Re: Ever consider a book?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 10:26:01 PM »
OMG I have your books!   What a small world we live in.  Your JQuery in Action book was one of my most used books last year.   Beginning Drupal 7 was my first book.   It was quite a journey.   I wrote 600 pages in 4 weeks while working full time and heading into surgery (gall bladder).   Its taken 12 weeks to edit those 600 pages.   But I now know the publishers processes and procedures.   Pro Drupal Development is a significantly more difficult book to write as documentation on Drupal 7 is sparse at best.

Wow still amazed!   JQuery in Action saved me hundreds of hours of frustration. 

Any other authors out there?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 10:46:32 PM »
OMG I have your books!   What a small world we live in.  Your JQuery in Action book was one of my most used books last year.
Too cool!

Beginning Drupal 7 was my first book.   It was quite a journey.   I wrote 600 pages in 4 weeks while working full time and heading into surgery (gall bladder).   Its taken 12 weeks to edit those 600 pages.   But I now know the publishers processes and procedures.   Pro Drupal Development is a significantly more difficult book to write as documentation on Drupal 7 is sparse at best.
Did it surprise you how much work it actually is, over and above the writing?

I had no idea when I worked on my first...

Wow still amazed!   JQuery in Action saved me hundreds of hours of frustration. 
Glad to hear it!

P.S. I just pre-ordered your book -- gotta support a fellow sly author!  O0

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
I didn't have a clue how much work the editing process would consume.   I was pretty elated over how quickly the initial write was.  The edits have been a very painful process - but the end result is significantly better than the first pass.     A friend of mine wrote a book back in 1995 and said that he could have made more money by working the same number of hours at McDonalds.   I hope that's not the case!

Thank you for the pre-order.   I'll do the same on your next edition of JQuery. 

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »
I think a head shaving book would be a good idea. One guy from a DE forum (Badger and Blade) wrote a book on traditional wet shaving (Liesureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving) and it's had great success. It started just like this...a typical guy on a forum thinking it would be a good idea and just taking the initiative to get started.  O0
- Eric W-

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
         I like comic books       b@b~

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »
A friend of mine wrote a book back in 1995 and said that he could have made more money by working the same number of hours at McDonalds.   I hope that's not the case!
Well, as I've said, if you're in it for the money, you may be disappointed.

For me it's a resume builder.

Offline zed

• Sly Guy in Training
  • run with the hunted
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 04:05:58 AM »
Hi I know I am responding to an old post but I think a book on this subject would be great. I'd love to do it as a graphic novel but my drawing not great. Anyone out there interested in illustrating with me? I can do sketches well enough to show what I have in mind but obviously would want you to bring your aesthetic to the table too. I worry there is a shift backwards in accepting and embracing baldness, at least in England. Recently a few celebritys have had hair transplants - each to their own but I think the subtext of such action suggest hair is always better. I disagree. I have an idea for a graphic story if anyone interested to work on it?
Just so you get an idea I love the work of Will Eisner, and Harvey Pekar
Hang loose
Zed
"The higher we soar, the smaller we look to those who cannot fly.' Nietzche