Author Topic: should i go fully sly!?  (Read 4614 times)

Offline 8kphil

• Learning the way of Sly
should i go fully sly!?
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »
at the moment i shave my head with wahl clippers with no guard on and have adjusted them so they cut even shorter,just dont seem to be able to go all the way and shave it sly! how did everybody else here get past this stage?,things im bothered about are,my girlfriend not liking it,what friends will say and shaving rash etc, help me out please guys  :)

Offline daviekumd

• Sly Jr.
    • facebook
Re: should i go fully sly!?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:47:23 AM »
it's almost cliche at this point, but I'll say it anyway...you have nothing to lose by trying.  if it doesn't go the way you hoped, it's back to your current level in a week.

Troy

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »
I was stuck at that stage for awhile too but I knew the day would come that I'd go fully sly.  I worried about the same types of things and you know what?  It wasn't worth it and instead I should have been thinking about how great it was going to be.  You might be surprised how few people notice or say anything about it when they are used to you having very short hair.  A couple of times since I've gone sly I've thought I could just do a no-guard shave again but it's not satisfying once you've experienced the real deal.  My advice is to do it and don't worry about it.  It's a terrific confidence builder. 

Offline football guy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 12:10:06 PM »
have you talked to your girlfriend about it? i was worried what mine would think too, but after i talked to her about it was alright. She said she really liked the look and had been dropping hints that i should shave it off, even before i started to thin. Now she always lets me know if i've been lazy and have a bit of stubble growing, and sometimes she shaves it for me, which is an awesome way for us to bond. So talk to you girlfriend about it, she might surprise you

Offline 8kphil

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »
s
he actually told me she prefers me with hair a while back,but that isnt an option anymore,she does like the shaved look,just not sure about fully shaved.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
Again, try it. You've got nothing to lose. It grows back -- much faster than most of us would like in fact!

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:26:51 PM »
Just do it...if you don't like it...it grows back...but you will like it SLY!!! O0

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:00:49 PM »
If you have been so far, you have almost nothing to lose!
Try it! Shave smooth and enjoy it.

Don't be scared. I think that ocurred with most of us here, including me. I wanted very much, but was afraid getting completely smooth. Then I just did it and didn't regret at all and kept my smoothness.

marty22

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:59:59 AM »
agreed.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 08:54:03 AM »
Don't think so much about the ifs and buts. Go for it, and then you'll see what's best for you.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »
My wife had been cutting my hair for several years, doing the taper cut thing, and surprised me one time with a no-guard buzz.  I kept it short for several years and was extremely hesitant to go full sly.  That last 1/16th seemed like such a big step. 

People were so used to seeing me with the short hair, that when I finally shaved it off, in spite of all my imaginings, it turned out to be a real non-event.  My wife, who was against it at first, said that it "wasn't all THAT bad".  My mother said I looked "cute", and other than that, nobody said anything at all about it.

On the plus side, a smooth shave feels really good, and the bald jokes and comments stopped completely.

I think that although it seems like a big thing, you're almost there, and that last little bit isn't as big a deal as it seems now.

Offline 8kphil

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 12:48:40 PM »
thanks fellas what a great bunch of ppl you all are,im almost convinced! haha just need to read up on the best way to shave it now. :/O

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »
I started razor shaving my head waaaay back in 1983 and it was one of the best things I ever did.

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
Women love a smooth dome, they hate slidding their hands across stubble  O:O