Author Topic: New to being bald!!! Where to start!  (Read 5550 times)

Offline melkins22

• Sly Guy in Training
New to being bald!!! Where to start!
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
So....I am not balding and have a ton of hair, but I love the bald look  O0 (so sue me).  I used clippers and got it as low as I could and then used a headblade to actually do the razoring, it wil work well I have a feeling once I get used to shaving my dome.  I was wondering if you guys could all give me your TOP 5 TIPS for shaving and all things bald related.  I want as much info as possible.  I used some Nutragena shaving cream and aftershave but didn't know if there were better products.  Also, because I am not balding..even after I shave I see hair color (even though it is smooth)...anyway to fix this? :(  Thanks and I look forward to being a Sly Bald Guy!

<>MIKE<>

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
Re: New to being bald!!! Where to start!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »
Top Five?

1.  The razor you use is not that important (most are pretty good, pricey and less so; blade life depends on how thick/coarse your follicles are)

2.  The cream you use is not that important (I find cheap[ish] 'Barbasol' perfectly OK)

3.  Take a shower before shaving and soap and wet the head while showering (and let post-shower lather sit a bit, shaving head last, after you've shaved the lower reaches)

4.  There will be occasional razor cuts, but fewer with experience (they heal rapidly)

5.  There's nothing to be done about "shadow" (except hope your hair goes white fast)

Offline melkins22

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
Thanks ming..so far so good..keep em coming
<>MIKE<>

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »
I would very respectfully disagree with Brother Ming on a few points. My top 5:

1) Shower shaving will yeild a closer shave for most guys

2) The HeadBlade is a dream tool for the Head Shavers of the World

3) Creams not foams

4) Sunscreen & do-rags will be your best friends

5) Hats in the winter!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
1) I'm with Koz on shaving in the shower. Much closer and more comfortable shave in my experience.
2) HeadBlade, YEAH! It's my fave. The Personna M5 Magnum is a close second but hard to find since they got booted out of Walmart by the big boys (Schick, Gilette).
3) HeadSlick, a cream, is my favorite. It is made by HeadBlade and I think these guys are totally dialed in to scraping the dome. There are also good gels out there like King Of Shaves. And don't overlook the mug and brush!
4) On the sunscreen front watch out for brands that use "synthetic estrogen". I guess the jury is still out on the long term effects on virility and there has also been a question raised on whether these substances can actually increase the risk of cancer. One of them is "oxybenzone". It is used in most of the commercial brands. Hats and do-rags seem safe enough, though. They are my choice. Check with a dermatologist on "safe" sunscreens for men or do some online research.
5) On the topic of bloodletting I keep an electric as backup until my gouges heal. Panasonic makes great wet/dry shavers and they can be had relatively reasonably if you go to the Panasonic Premium Store online. They sell "refurbished" units. I had a hang-up about this until someone explained to me that a refurbished unit is a new unit with all the bugs worked out. While it's true that with experience the incidence of serious cuts will decrease I have found that more experience sometimes leads me to become overconfident and careless. And that is when I do my best bleeding.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

marty22

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:37:41 PM »
welcome!

Offline melkins22

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
Thank You!  I have been using the Headblade, and I am trying to find a place to get there creams and lotions....Meijer (a store up north where I got my blade) didn't sell any...
<>MIKE<>

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
Walgreen's carries their stuff or you can go to their online store to make purchases. Can't remember if they have a store locator on their website or not.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
Headblade is great to do business with via their own onlinestore.  If you link to their website by clicking on one of their ads here on SBG you get a decent discount whe you get to their check out page.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Enter your email address: