Author Topic: Something to think about.  (Read 27324 times)

Offline buuckkweet

• The sly helpful hardware man.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Hmmm...clam chowder???
Something to think about.
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:24:26 AM »
Hi SLY Brothers!

Around the middle of October, one of my friends did something VERY foolish by his own hand.  He made the decision to drink and drive. 

VERY FORTUNATE no one was injured because it was a one vehicle accident. 

His truck is trashed. 

He HAD a CDL license.

He is driving on a temporary license that he will have to surrender soon. 

His Mom and Dad are shelling out a lot of $$$ for a lawyer for legal representation. 

The county that this incident took place in is VERY strict on DUI offenders. 

Basically........the court is going to drop the hammer on him.

All of his parent's $$$ can't help him. 

December 13th is his court date. 

This is not going to go away overnight. 

His troubles are just beginning.

So the next time you have a few drinks, use your cell phone and call for a ride, or appoint a designated driver. 

Give me a bucket of drywall mud and a 6" taping knife, and I'll show you a new way to resurface your carpet.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Something to think about.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »
Very sound advice. The old adage that you will reap what you sow usually comes back to haunt us.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:56:55 PM »
GOOD POST.  This is really something to think about.  I made, with the holdays here, this is a sticky.  Hope some people benefit from your friend's misfortune.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:28:20 PM by wpruitt »
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
I can relate...good post.  I'm still dealing with the financial fall out from my EX's 2nd DUI.  She is in prison now.  She was out "partying" and other things(off and on for a month or so) with her DUI instructor(Group Dynamics is a required course for DUI offenders in Wisconsin)...and was leaving his house when she nearly killed a man and injured several others.  Of course she fled because a married(at the time) woman had now business being where she was at the time.  I didn't know the truth until after I bailed her out and retained her lawyer.

I am thankful to have her out of my life and it is a Blessing...

Ironcially, the last I heard, the technical college that he is employed at doesn't let him instruct anymore, but put him in charge of Traffic Safety.  When I asked them(as per my lawyer) to offset some of the cost in this, their dialogue abruptly ended with me...

But the money is nothing compared to other's losses or what could have been...

Just a few weeks ago, no more than 3 miles from my home on a road I travel a lot...a drunk driver, at 7am in the morning...swerved into the other lane and caused a crash.  A mother and one of her two children were injured...but her other boy, probably on their way to school...died at the scene.  I believe he was 8 years old.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »
Thanks for posting this. It cannot ever be stressed enough.

I'm guilty of doing it.... once. I was 17, and had just bonged a few beers at a friend's house before I had to leave for work (that's a teenager's sense of responsibility for ya). That was the scariest drive of my life. I was in and out. It felt like I had next to no control of the car. Luckily, I made it to work OK, but I don't know how...
That was enough for me to learn my lesson. Over 10 years later, and I have never even attempted to do it again. Never will.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 06:47:01 AM »
I can't remember when it was but you can research the posts about my personal incident with drinking and driving. Your friend will survive this and hopefully with a ton more wisdom. By the time my specialty insurance was paid, fines, lawyer, etc. one FREE night of drinking cost me over $13,000.00. I wish others could read our stories that have been through things like this and not make the same mistake. Unfortuanately experience has taught me that most people end up having to learn this lesson on their own. Someone I was very close too, saw what I went through ended up getting a DUI himself. I used to do alot of "preaching" about this but now I don't. But if there is anyone out there with an ear to hear it's real simple............DON"T DRINK AND DRIVE!
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline LatinCoffee

• Como estas?
  • Sly
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »
Wow---sucks to be your friend but he made that choice now has to face up to his responsibility. I'm glad no one was hurt, including him.

I hope this taught him a lesson!

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »
Speaking as a law man, they are indeed serious.  People complain about guns but intoxicated drivers are far, far more dangerous and have killed and injured far more than guns. That doesnt even include the surviving family members and what they live with.  :popo

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »
In 1977 I was involved in a head-on collision with a drunk driver. I was driving a squad car and my training officer was seated on the passenger side. We both survived the crash but spent some time in the hospital as a result. He did no jail time.
He later killed a guy in a drunk driving crash but that occurred prior to the enactment of the reckless homicide charge in Illinois so he did no jail time.
Sometime later he was boating on the Chain O' Lakes along the Illinois/Wisconsin state line. He drove his boat over another boat and decapitated the other boat's driver. At that time there was no DUI law for boating. He did no jail time.
He finally got into another head-on collision in McHenry County Illinois with a car containing a mom, dad, and 2 young kids. The mom and dad were killed along with one of the kids. He finally went to prison.
In spite of all that I continued to drink for another 13 years, driving the whole time. It was just blind, dumb luck that I never repeated what happened to me and his other victims. I have to confess to not having the slightest idea as to how to reduce the number of drunk drivers and alcohol related deaths on the roads. It doesn't appear that anything works. Drunks get sober for the long term when they realize the need for sobriety. Everything else merely forestalls the inevitable.
On average treatment facilities achieve success with one out of 28 patients. By that I mean that one person out of 28 achieves one year of sobriety after completion of a 28 day residential program. People who are court ordered into AA many times head straight for the tavern from a meeting and then drive home.
I wish I knew the answer to this problem.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:33:58 PM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
Important message, thanks for posting, don't play Russian roulette with other people's lives

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 11:36:21 PM »
this may look like an old topic, but interesting :)
2 years and 3 months since I last time tasted alcohol :D (any kind of )
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Slynito

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 08:25:37 AM »
Everything in moderation...

Offline The Original Chewmiester

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Sly isn't just a style, it's a way of life.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 02:46:16 AM »
I am usually a DD for my friends. I don't drink...and don't plan to. My biggest problem is sleep. Making sure I am fully awake driving on a long day.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »
I'm generally the driver for my crowd when we go out. I usually sip a couple of beers early and then the last couple of hours before we leave wherever we are, I just have some water or a coke.

I have a beautiful wife, three great kids, and a responsibility to my Friends and their Families to get us all home safely.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 08:28:21 AM »
I am allergic to alcohol that is why I am always the designated driver during night outs.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!