Author Topic: What is your diet and fitness regime?  (Read 15754 times)

Offline Bucksfan

• Sly Jr.
Re: What is your diet and fitness regime?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 09:07:34 AM »
My workout regimen from age 18 to 34 was mostly weightlifting.  I got into P90x in January of 2012.  After the first round of that, I got Insanity and did 2 months of that.  Both P90x and Insanity really opened my eyes to a new style of working out, one that does not require much equipment, yet still yields good results. 

During the summers, I do sprint distance triathlons, so beginning in April, I train 4-5 days a week swimming, biking and running (just one event each day, then a "brick" of biking then running once per week).

After triathlon season is over (mid-August) I'll go back to primarily weightlifting to build back some of the upper body muscle I've lost since January. 

I'm not as good on the diet side as I should be -  but I can afford to do that during the summer, since I do so much cardio while training for my triathlons. 

Offline savellij1

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Around May of 2012 I believe.
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
There are a ton of websites and workouts that claim that you can lose fat and build muscle at the same time.  I have found that with the exception of when you first start working out, you either lose fat, or gain muscle, and that those are two independent goals that require two separate types of training and nutritional goals.

I eat about 250 to 500 more calories than I burn in a day.
I do a four day split for weight lifting: On Monday I do Chest and Biceps.  Tuesday I do legs, and by legs I do not mean running, but Squats, Deadlifts, and other exercises people tend to not do.  On Wednesday I do Back and Triceps, and finally on Thursday I do Shoulders.

I spilt the muscles that way because shoulders and chest go together (think about the bench press) and need to be separated to heal.  Also, your triceps are being worked when your shoulders are, so doing them on a day when they are not being worked allows for double the workout.  The same applies to back and biceps.  By doing chest and biceps, you target muscles that are not used in the same exercises, allowing your chest to be worked out harder because your triceps are not fatigued.

I do not use back braces or wrist straps, only chalk when I get up to deadlifting in the 400's.  Your grip strength will greatly improve if you do not use straps. 

I've went from weighing 149 lbs to weighing 209 lbs in the course of close to 2 years.  The only supplements that I use is protein and creatine mixed with fruit juice.  Has worked for me.  Just don't give up.

Accepted

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
check out sixpackshortcuts on youtube. 10-15 minutes a day and you're good.

i do it myself and i'm at 3% body fat. i don't diet etc but just make sure I don't over indulge in fatty foods/ sodas/ desserts etc..

it's really effective so i'd suggest you give it a shot. also, you don't need any equipment to do it so it's perfect!

Offline ZachM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
Good old Army PT keeps me in pretty decent shape.  The nice thing about it is that is does not require a gym and it's totally free.  Lots of exercises: pushups, situps, pullups, rowers, V-ups, burpees, mountain climbers, and too many more to mention here.  You can look it up Army PRT on the Internet and get an idea.  I also like to run a good bit, but I tend to gravitate more towards sprinting than distance running. 

Bear in mind that none of these exercises will help you get ripped muscles, but they will keep you conditioned pretty well.  I also don't drink soda, avoid fast food whenever possible.  Oh and drink a lot of water, its so good for you.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: What is your diet and fitness regime?
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 06:25:23 PM »
Mines beer beer and beer. And the odd run on the treadmill and plenty of sex.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: Re: What is your diet and fitness regime?
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
Good old Army PT keeps me in pretty decent shape.  The nice thing about it is that is does not require a gym and it's totally free.  Lots of exercises: pushups, situps, pullups, rowers, V-ups, burpees, mountain climbers, and too many more to mention here.  You can look it up Army PRT on the Internet and get an idea.  I also like to run a good bit, but I tend to gravitate more towards sprinting than distance running. 

Bear in mind that none of these exercises will help you get ripped muscles, but they will keep you conditioned pretty well.  I also don't drink soda, avoid fast food whenever possible.  Oh and drink a lot of water, its so good for you.
do u drink beer

Offline ZachM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
No, sir.  Not much of a drinker.

Offline CowtownBaldie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »
Hi, I'm new here. I like to exercise for 20-30 minutes 3-5 days a week. It can varry with work and family comittments but mostly I enjoy bodyweight exercise like pushups, pullups, squats etc. because I can do them at home anytime I like and no gym needed. I like to do a little "bullworker" isometric type exercise too. For cardio I go for brisk walks. I used to be a runner for years but injuries ended that. I enjoy riding my bicycle when its not snowing or pouring rain out. I try to get out doing weekend sports like skiing and hiking too. I find as I get older I just have to modify my workout to not be so strenuous. I used to workout like a mad man for years cranking heavy iron and running many miles...but that mostly just hurt me. I turned to simpler more enjoyable forms of exercise, that way no injuries and I will stick to it.

Offline Stan K

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »
Hey there,

I lifted weights for about 16 years, bulking/cutting with limited success, but I finally get the hang of what works for me - I'm 31 years old, and I'm fitter and healthier than I ever was.

I got into the low single digits body fat percentage with the Anabolic Diet (5 days keto/2 days refeed), but I couldn't build mass with it, so I switched to Leangains (http://www.leangains.com/) - good stuff. It's a form of intermittent fasting, you have an eating window of 8 hours per day, and you cycle your macros and calories for workout/non-workout days.

I just skip breakfast, eat more on workout days (120% calories, mostly carbs and protein) and less on non-workout days (80% calories, mostly fat and protein). Body recomposition is possible with this diet, you lose fat on the non-workout days and build muscle on the workout days. It's not the usual bodybuilding bro-science, you can find a lot of information on intermittent fasting on the leangains site itself and on one of my favorite sites, suppversitiy (http://suppversity.blogspot.de/).

My weight lifting regime is three times a week (weighted lunges, Romanian Deadlift, barbell rows, weighted pull-ups, weighted dips, dumbbell press, incline dumbbell press, power shrugs, Nilssen curls [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwcFdovb94]). My non-workout days aren't exactly non-workout, I train my abs two times a week with leg raises, cable crunches and cable wood choppers. Weight training takes about 40 minutes, abs 20 minutes.

Lifting is fun again, and I'm always well rested and motivated on my training days! Intermittent fasting is great too, you can eat for looks and health and still have a nice big lunch with the family on a training day.

Offline MMArob

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
Right now I train 2 times each day except Sunday.
Early afternoon either 4 conditioning and 2 strength workouts per week, or 4 strength and 2 conditioning depending on what needs to be improved.
Late afternoon either MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling or a combination of 2.

My diet is almost no food right now ;D since I still have to drop about 5lbs (dropped 15lbs the last 5 weeks), which means 6 meals with 20-40 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbs and 7g of fat, 70% natural self cooked food the rest protein shakes with added oats/rice/potatoes and nuts.

Only 4 more weeks to go though, then comes a (maybe bald) 4 weeks christmas holiday filled with girlfriend, cookies, watching tv and outdoor fun including shooting range and mx bike riding in the snow (first time this year)!
Can't wait, but my focus is on what I got to do first. ;)

Rob

I post a lot today, not trying to spam but I got some free time right now which doesn't happen often.  :(