Author Topic: Face shaving:Against the grain of not?  (Read 10044 times)

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
Re: Face shaving:Against the grain of not?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »
If I shave against the grain under my jaw I get very bad ingrown hairs. I tried time and again to make my face used to it, but its always the same result. In some places for some people going against the grain is just impossible - unless you can deal with the ingrown hairs.

The crown area-already know that.......
But facial and head shave isn't exactly the same......
Anyhow,I think I'll stick to my old shaving routine,as to the part below the cheeks and chin,as my skin is really sensitive there,and it's a little redish now.
Thanks guys,you're the best.
Yohai.

A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline slymerson

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 01:37:48 AM »
Try shaving first in the direction of the hair growth. After that, shave against the grain, using a moisturizer. It works pretty well.

Offline Brasspower

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
I just shave my cheeks with the grain on the first pass, to get off the majority of the stubble. Then against the grain on the second pass. Doesn't seem too complicated. I sort of anchor the skin at the chin to keep the cheeks taught during the up-strokes, but no complicated stretching.
Just like this.  If you want, you can contort your face a bit to help keep the skin taught, if you want, reach over your head/under your head to use your free hand to help just keep the skin in one place while you turn your head and tighten the shaving surface.

Brass player Fun fact:  moving your face around with the muscles of the face helps strengthen them a bit in those who rarely use them in such a way, and it helps keep them firm, reducing skin flabbiness and keeping your face a little more firm and a little younger looking!