Author Topic: Just took the rug off last night...  (Read 11739 times)

Offline erutan

• Sly Jr.
Re: Just took the rug off last night...
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »
Thanks for the reminder!  I appreciate it.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 03:02:44 PM »
All that matters is how you feel about it not how they feel about it.

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »
I've just gone through my first day of work after ditching the rug and shaving my head. I won't lie. It was rough. I believe, however, that in time people will get used to it. I could not take wearing that horrible thing on my head anymore. It may have looked ok sometimes but it made me horribly self-conscious 100% of the time. It also made me feel like a total fake and horribly restricted my lifestyle. Today I can go to the gym and have a great, sweaty workout and then come home and take a proper shower.
A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline erutan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 06:17:45 PM »
Jack, I completely agree and relate to everything you just said.  I, too, felt like an unconfident fake.  The restriction of the piece was the worst part for me.  I felt that I was never really "me" so to speak.  Now my confidence is slowly coming back.  Also, that's why this amazing forum is here; to support eachother.

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »
I wrote this somewhere else, but I'm telling you that the run and workout I had today - my first real, sweaty, all out run and workout in years - and the REAL shower I had afterwards were like heaven. That rug may have made us look like we had hair sometimes and fooled some people, but we both know that we felt self-conscious virtually 100% of the time. The transition is not easy, though. It is good that there is a band of brothers here to help us. I'm sure that our transitions will be very similar. Stay strong, brother.

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
Well, today was my first day back at school since shaving my head.  The reaction was severe and mixed.  Many of my female colleagues said it looked 'better' when it was long and that i looked younger.  So then I became paranoid.  But soon shrugged it off when andother female colleague saw me and said "now thats what i call a haircut.  I LOVE it."  That gave me a real boost of confidence.  But to be honest.  I'm more outgoing and confident without the rat on my head than I was with it on.   Still getting used to the sly look.  Especially with my suit.  I like it better when I'm wearing casual clothes.  Day 5 approaches!

Don't be discouraged by the people who tell you that you looked better with hair.  It's only been a few days since you shaved.  It's a big change in your image and some people are going to be shocked at first.  Those of us who shaved slick from full heads of hair all went through it.  The only way to avoid the shock of the shave is to buzz the hair down in gradual steps until you're bald; not an option for you because of the hair system.  The tincture of time will make things better; people will become accustomed to seeing your shaved head and the comments will stop.  Eventually, no one will even remember what you looked like with hair. 

You look fine.  Don't doubt yourself.  You chose to adopt the look YOU want.  That is all that matters. 

Troy

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
I think it's important to not worry now about what people might have been thinking of you when you had the hair system.  When you make a change someone is always bound to say "it's about time" which can cause one to wonder what folks were saying about you previously.  Don't think about it or dwell on it.  It's the past now.  Shaving your head opens the door to a whole new outlook, which the men in here have demonstrated to be pretty great.  Looking forward to hearing how this all goes for you. 

Offline Nick

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 10:26:50 PM »
Jack Jr and Erutan, you guys both look badass. 

It was windy as hell today in Colorado.  A year ago, I would have spent the whole day worried about my hair.  Today, I thought to myself, "I'm so glad I have a shaved head."

Offline junglephone

• Drummer / Producer / Composer
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 05:25:25 AM »

Remember the saying:  ":A picture's worth a thousand words."  This one could write its own novel...

The novel will be called, The Beginning of Freedom

The SLY is so much better on you, it's not even funny. F the naysayers. Enjoy the freedom!

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 06:56:03 AM »
I agree 100%. You really look good shaved headed - much, much better than in the hair piece. You are doing the right thing!

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 08:00:04 AM »
You made the right choice, the look suits you!  As a joke, bring you hair piece into work and leave it on your desk. When anyone asks "What's this?"   Tell them "Oh, thats for anyone that wanted my old hair back..well, there it is!"

Offline erutan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 07:50:22 PM »
Thanks for all the support guys.  It means a lot.  I'm feeling more and more like myself as the days pass and I'm loving my shaving routine each night. 

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 08:18:10 AM »
I was in your shoes 15-20yrs ago. I had started to thin and was in my 20s. joined one of those "Hair clubs". I think it was "Mens Hair Now"glue on type. What a scam... Did it for 3-5 yrs or so. Always  feeling everyone could tell, never going swimming, running, nothing that all the ads claimed you can do. And being single, the women issues was a hole different set of problems....  On a whim, a friend and I were at a party and saw a cpl of guys W/ shaven heads. (not "in" back then) Being drunk dares each other to do the same. Don't think friends knew I had one (?? prob did ??) but never mentioned it even when we snapped at each other. But when he got home, still drinking, buzzed it off... back then I was just thinning on top so when buzzed it looked like I had hair. Not like the horseshoe I have now. We laughed and made  fun of each other a bit, but for me I knew there was no going back. On the drive home I threw the rug out the window and continued buzzing. I met current wife as I am, and dated more then my share of women with no issues with the bald head. Grated, a few asked why, thinking It was a choice, But never slowed me down. What helped me, I would always see some ugly dude with a hot girl at clubs/bars. Also, I had two good friends, One Good looking (tall, steroids built, great hair) girls always flocked toward  him, and one ugly as sin (large spotty dome, hunched, just weird). The weird one always left w a girl. The other, NEVER (yes straight). I was in the middle. It all had to do with (besides $$) your gift of gab. Talking a good game. Yes, looks play a big part in a lot, but everyone has different taste. I used it in my favor, I would always send him in to a group of girls knowing he had a few min before he would say something stupid, But they always would start talking to him. He was the ice breaker, but his hair & looks only worked on getting me and the other guy layed lol... Life is funny... make it work for you. His nickname was even "bait"...

Anyway, I think you made the right choice. I often see guys in my church, Mall or just store and spot them a mile away. Not sure if it's because it just me being conscious of it. But I often point it out to my wife and she always says she can't tell. Then again, she is oblivious to a lot of things unless it me not putting something in the hamper... (kidding)... Best thing I ever did... though now I am in the process of starting the laser to remove the horseshoe look. But you look to be 20-25 yrs from that, so you still have hope for that miracle hair growing pill lol..... Good luck....

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
Well, no more faking, it's all you now and no more crutches!  O0

I see a very bright future for you as this is just the beginning!  O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2010, 03:48:06 PM »
Old picture....look a little wimpy.

New picture....... A rough dude. 8)

Your choice !!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:50:17 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."