Author Topic: What is in your Shave Cave?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
What is in your Shave Cave?
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:30:31 PM »
When I first went sly, I thought I would just use one product for life, my Nivea shave gel and my Mach 3.  And I did use them for a couple of months.  Then the itch for a better shave took over and I bought some Headslick and a brush from Walmart.  As soon as I tried the Headslick I got some irritation on the back of my head.  From there I tried Proraso to see if that would get rid of it.  Then I tried Proraso soap for sensitive skin.  Then I bought a Fusion.  Then I bought Shave Secret and Headlube.  I added Witch Hazel and Bump Eraser and there you go, the components of my shave cave.  I really love the Shave Secret and the Proraso Soap with my brush.  I use that combo the most.  I still do have the irritation on the back of my head.

Anyway, the purpose of this post was to ask two questions: 1) What products are in your "shave cave" and 2) how often do you rotate products.  For me, every week or so I will rotate and try something new.  It keeps shaving fresh and new.

In case you are wondering my routine is this.  Wet face and head with hot water at sink.  Add Shave Secret.  Shave with Proraso Sensitive soap.  One with the grain.  Once across the grain.  Rinse, dry and then use Witch Hazel.  Then Bump Eraser.  When dry I add Headlube.

Post up your contents and share how often you rotate.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:20:07 PM by timetobeme »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What is in your Shave Cave?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:56:33 AM »
Shave Cave--I like that O0.  Mine has the stuff I use most often--Headslick, my trusty M5, brush, Shave Secret, Nivea Extreme Comfort, Hydrogen Peroxide, Benzoyl Peroxide, Hydrocortizone lotion--the last two keep my problem skin clear.  I also use baby oil and some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle--an idea I got from Warhawk [speaking of--where is that guy???] and sunscreen. Note you don't have sun screen, I hope you're not avoiding the daily use of that, it's important.   
Then there's the back of the Shave Cave--the stuff that I use on the road, a cake of shaving soap, some gylicerine, a tube of shave balm, my loophah pads.  And the deep deep cave area for the also rans. :o  the stuff I couldn't resist but didn't like.  Yeah, full house--and I'm a bit of a pack rat, I can't throw stuff away. 

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:42:07 AM »
You have a nice start!  I had a stash started, but I've settled in to my standbys.  Old faithful is my Headblade w/CP3's, an Excel Handle for my face, CO Bigalow cream (basically same as your Proraso), and one of my brushes.  In my stash of stuff that gets occational use I have Kiss My Face Cream (good stuff, just wish I could get it locally) Nana June Spearmint soap (too bad she closed shop), VDH deluxe soap, Williams soap, Art of Shaving cream and aftershave, Prairie Creations Aftershave, Mach3, M5, ProGlide (junk), Gillette Goodwill, Gillette Tech, Gillette Old, and a Gillette Slim.  That's not including stuff that I have tried and either used up or thrown in the trash. 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »
I used to have a lot of products but I'm at the point in my life where "less is more".

I use HeadSlick with and HB Sport (triple blade). Soem Apricot scrub and then finish off with Nivea Extreme After Shave Balm.

Simple, effective, and leaves this old dented up head looking as good as possible.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »
I actually have two baskets. I have a huge wicker basket in the bathroom closet that for things I don't use everyday. On the sink, I have a small metal wire basket that of shaving things I use more often. Sometimes, I go into my big basket and get things out of there to put in my small basket. I put the things that were in the small basket, that i don't intend to use for awhile in the big basket. I switch things up one in awhile.  O:O
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
My "Shave Cave" is just a small corner of the bathroom sink.  I've got my M5 with spare blades, HB Sport with spares, HeadSlick, Shave Secret, shaving brush and bowl, and some Clubman Pinaud and Acqua di Gio aftershave.  I keep the sunscreen/moisturizers in my bedroom and some witch hazel under the sink.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »
I'm another who goes for less, and I'm a creature of habit.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Mach3Power
Edge gel (Sensitive Skin)
King of Shaves oil
St. Ives apricot scrub
Dickinson's Witch Hazel

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »
Have not changed products for years. Old-fashioned single-blade Schick injector razor; Barbasol.  Aside from a bit of Headlube for occasional use, started a few years back, that's it.

Oh, well, I do take a cheap disposable on the (too few) day's I go to the gym, after leaving a favored razor behind there last year.  Once burned, twice wary.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:19:57 AM »
pretty simple setup for me
Edge Shave Gel
Mach 3
Bald Guyz Moisture Gel
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »
I change off every few weeks  - -between HeadBlade products "HeadSlick" and Bald Guyz Moiusture Gel
I get a real close shave from both - - in the shower with a minute of hot water on the dome first - then shave

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:36:55 AM »
HeadBlade Sport w/Black adapter (plus a couple of spares)
Supply of Sensor 3 blades
HeadSlick (alternating with C.O.Bigelow Premium shave cream)
HeadLube Glossy
Hot Six oil
Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
MikeC