Author Topic: Diabetes Shock  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
Diabetes Shock
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:02:12 AM »
So for the past year or so, the PA at my Doctor's Office has been telling me that I'm "Pre-Diabetic."  I didn't even know there was such a thing and I guess the history of that is that insurance won't cover something that doesn't have a name.

Anyway, last week I had to see the actual Doctor and discuss my options because my meds weren't controlling my sugar levels.  I guess years of living off of coffee and Snickers bars have managed to do a number on my ability to process sugar.  Also, my Mom's Type II Diabetic so I have that genetic thing going on.

The shocker came when the Doc said he really wanted me to try an injection drug called Victoza.  It's not insulin, it's a glucose-peptide...thing that basically helps my pancreas do it's job.  I'm still "pre-diabetic" so I don't have to monitor my blood sugar, but this was a serious wake up call. 

Any other "pre-diabetics" or diabetics in the group?  I'm still kinda shocked even though today is day 3 of the injections.

One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Diabetes Shock
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:34:20 AM »
One here, I tend to obsessive and as a result of dieting excess weight off, pretty much sticking to a low gylcemic diet religiously, and exercising for at least an hour 5-6 days a week, I control the issue without any other medications.  Recently, while away from home on a work assignment, I worked a little harder on the diet and lost another 10+ pounds so I've been able to drop the bp meds too.  From my experience, weight control and diet work, it's not always what I want to do, but because I've gotten the #s to low-pre-diabetes levels, <6.0 A1c, and 104 fbg or less, I'll keep to it.  Probably doesn't work for everyone but it's been good to me.  My father, his brother and sister also had the issue.  My father, like me, was obsessive on diet and exercise and did pretty well over all.  His brother and sister didn't and died before they were 70!  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:37:09 AM by saintc »

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:41:12 PM »
Used to be, but I showed them.  I refused to take it seriously and now have daily injections plus all the pills.  ???  Yeah, I showed them alright!

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »
Yeah, brutha!

Type II here as well....diagnosed in Sept. of 2008....it ain't nuthin to toy with, man.

I went through the phase of being all into it as far as exercise and diet and then fell into SOME of my ol' ways figuring that as long as my numbers were "safe" from the meds I could take some liberties....well that's hog sh**

So I've starting reversing this thing NO THANKS TO MY DOCTOR OR CONVENTIONAL MEDICAL "WISDOM."  Diabetes has been labeled "incurable" simply because there has not been a drug invented to cure it.  But if we freakin' man up and take responsibility for the GARBAGE we put in our mouths, we can get off these stupid drugs and reverse this crap.

I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend you get your hands on the following DVDs and man up:

"Healing Cancer From the Inside Out" by Mike Anderson
"Eating" by Mike Anderson
"Food Matters" by ??

And I would watch them in that order....it totally ROCKED my world and my stupid towin' the line of conventional medical wisdom.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:15:45 PM by Robmeister »

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »
thanks for the info, i wont use conventional medicine, i dont have diabeties yet but i have to watch out, any suppliments that might help me

Yeah, brutha!

Type II here as well....diagnosed in Sept. of 2008....it ain't nuthin to toy with, man.

I went through the phase of being all into it as far as exercise and diet and then fell into SOME of my ol' ways figuring that as long as my numbers were "safe" from the meds I could take some liberties....well that's hog sh**

So I've starting reversing this thing NO THANKS TO MY DOCTOR OR CONVENTIONAL MEDICAL "WISDOM."  Diabetes has been labeled "incurable" simply because there has not been a drug invented to cure it.  But if we freakin' man up and take responsibility for the GARBAGE we put in our mouths, we can get off these stupid drugs and reverse this crap.

I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend you get your hands on the following DVDs and man up:

"Healing Cancer From the Inside Out" by Mike Anderson
"Eating" by Mike Anderson
"Food Matters" by ??

And I would watch them in that order....it totally ROCKED my world and my stupid towin' the line of conventional medical wisdom.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:43:27 AM »
It's easy to slip, but you really have to be careful about "slip #2" and that is failing to wake up and get back on the routine.  We all slip and get into the "Hey, I don't feel bad, I can do this."  You don't feel it when you get it, and you don't feel it when it's damaging your body.  It is essential that you get back on track and keep the goals in mind.  

Use the internet to get information and assistance and to keep the dangers up front and personal, this is just one of 1,000s of sites:
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Grim-Reality-of-Diabetes-and-Your-Diet&id=5122566
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:10:00 PM by saintc »

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
And, by the way, I don't mean to disparage what AWESOME doctors, technology and medical facilities we have here in America...we have some of the WORLD'S greatest.  We have some of the finest surgeons that can put us back together and save our lives after horrible trauma.

It's just that they are WAY BEHIND in the area of how nutrition can heal.  A lot of it has to do with politics and lobbyists and pharmaceutical big business.  If I'd not been diagnosed and put IMMEDIATELY on meds, I was headed for a stroke or heart attack.   The meds and treatment saved my life.

But what is not "conventional" is that we don't have to live on those meds.  We can man up and fly right again.  O0

(ya gotta get hold of those DVD's, seriously....the meds saved my life....but these vids CHANGED MY LIFE)