Author Topic: Buzzing...  (Read 9552 times)

Offline KollegeKreed

• Sly Jr.
Buzzing...
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:24:48 PM »
I'm trying to find a pair of clippers that can do the job faster for me. I can't razorshave often, too much irritation and I actually look better with the stubble look, as opposed to smooth. Problem is, after years of voluntarily shaving my head, I'm actually to the point now where if I wait even 2 weeks between clipping as I usually do, the balding and thin hair is completely noticeable.

I'd really like to find clippers that work, and work quick. It takes me 15-20 minutes just to give myself a 00000 buzz with Oster 76's, whereas I hear other people say it takes 3 or 4 minutes. Maybe its just my hair, but I have to run them over multiple times to get all the hair gone.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Buzzing...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »
Why not just shave every two or three days, whatever your skin can handle?  It's easier than buzzing it and in between you'll have the 0000 look.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:12:14 AM »
My buzz time, when I did it myself, was relatively short, just over a month.  But, buzzing introduced me to my scalp and the fact that the hairs weren't lined up the same.  For that reason it took multiple passes in different directions to reduce it all to the same length, particularly as I approached #1.  It's still cheaper than the barber, and if you're balding, it looks better.

Offline crazy.irish.celt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:35:48 AM »
I'd recommend the Wahl Peanut clipper; a smaller version of the Wahl Balding clippers. It's between $40-50, has some guards for the beard, and will cut the hair as close to smooth as you can get. I've used it for a long time to trim down my facial hair on days when being clean-shaven wasn't necessary, or when irritation was too severe.  I also used it the first time I shaved my head, to take it down to the scalp.  I just stand it on edge and run it with and against the grain.  Works like a charm, although it will get you so close that you will look like you have the morning-after shadow.  I'd say it's a true zero-guard cut.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:45:10 AM »
Your using one of the best clippers ouy there . I also found using clippers with no guard to take awhile to do a good job, thats why I now like  to shave it. I generaly go  WTG so I get no irritation . It also feels better and I think looks better. If you shave daily it goes faster and your skin will adjust to it.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Consider the Conair CleanHead. It has both the guard and a attachment that is meant for headshaving. When I use the headshaver attachment it gets it down to a stubble/shadow look amd only takes  a few minutes and feels like a head massage at the same time.

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:48:02 AM »
When I started out before shaving completely, I used The Chopper by Conair I got it from Walmart. It has different attachments and worked pretty good. I've heard good reports about the one your using.

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »
I used to do the same thing, I'd go every two weeks when I got paid and just have the hair lady buzz it back down to the scalp. Prior to this I tried head shaving and razor burned really easily. So one day after having the hair lady buzz my head off, I used my wife's gillette venus and her shaving cream. I shaved off all of my hair and didn't razor burn. I decided at that point instead of paying $10 every two weeks to have it buzzed off, I would just shave it every day or every other day.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »
I used to do the same thing when I was in the military. Every 2 weeks on a Saturday morning I would have the base barbers buzz it down to what we called an induction center cut. Cost in those days was $1.00.

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »
If you're choosing between the Conair and Wahl, I'd recommend the Wahl.  I used the Wahl Balding Clippers for 4 months and they are a little too heavy for me to use on myself, but my wife used them easily.  The Wahl Peanut is the perfect size, if you want to do it yourself. You'd save a fortune versus a barber. But, the real reason I'd highly recommend Wahl over Conair is the fact that Wahl is an American company that actually makes their products in America. When I have a choice, I avoid Made in China every time.

Here's a link to Wahl http://www.wahl.com/divisions/ that explains all of their professional line is Made in U.S.A. (My balding clippers were also Made in USA, but I can't say they all are.) 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:55:13 PM by thebbqguy »
TheBBQGuy

Enter your email address: