Author Topic: Great story  (Read 3959 times)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Great story
« on: September 28, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
Something I ran across while online today. Very heartwarming story about a high school football player. We've seen this kind of behavior in movies, but it's nice to see that some people have a heart the size of the field they're playing on.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Down-syndrome-football-player-scores-TD-in-Washi?urn=highschool-272803

In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Great story
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »
I saw this early this AM! What a great story!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »
No question about who won the game!

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:23:45 PM »
Thanks for posting this story PigPen! Its good to see sportsmanship like this on an otherwise extremely high level of competition on and off the field.

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:23:57 AM »
It IS a great story.

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 05:48:29 AM »
I have a sister with Downs and let me tell you, this touches me in a special way. Thanks for posting this.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »
I wasn't going to post this in this thread originally but it fits. This happened in our little league a few years back. Check it out:

I coached sports for 6 years in my town and one of the greatest moments in those years involved a 7 year old boy named Robert Maichle. Robert is autistic and played on one of the teams in the league in town. Robert had less than average baseball skills.
One late Summer evening four years ago my team, the Reds, played Robert’s team, the Mets. As the innings wound down Robert came to bat with the bases loaded and his team down by two runs. I called time, went out onto the field and called all my players to the pitcher’s mound. I also called the coaches from the other team to the mound and asked everyone to get in real close together so nobody else could hear what we were doing.
I told all the kids on my team that we were going to let Robert bat until he hit the ball……. And once he hit it we were going to make sure that he didn’t get out. I told them to do whatever they had to do to let him get a hit. I figured they would score a run and we would still win. But then something amazing happened.
Robert hit the ball to my best player at shortstop…… and he let it roll between his legs with a big smile on his face. Every parent on both teams was yelling “RUN ROBERT!!”. Then the left fielder picked up the ball and threw it over the second baseman’s head, again with a big smile. And Robert ran to second with every parent cheering.
Robert turned for third and the right fielder threw the ball WAY over the third baseman’s head…. Smiling. Robert rounded third and headed for home while every parent and kid on that field cheered. Robert finished off the play with a perfect slide into home. As Robert’s team mates mobbed him every kid on my team just stood on the infield cheering with huge smiles on their faces. Grand Slam! Mets win, we lose!! But there were no losers that day.

Robert’s Mom came to me a few minutes later and hugged me and thanked me and all my kids.  Robert’s Dad simply stood in the third base coaches box with tears running down his face.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »
But there were no losers that day.

In a game like that, who says "winning" isn't everything!  Good move, thanks for sharing. O0

Offline Glen

• Sly Jr.
  • Better a bald head than no head at all...
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
Great story!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 02:28:59 AM »
That reminds me of the story of Jason McElwain

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1fw1CcxCUgg?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1fw1CcxCUgg?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
Both great heart warming stories!!!  Humanity is not dead...

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 11:29:47 PM »
Way to go, Jason!