Author Topic: Softball Players/Coaches  (Read 1305 times)

Offline texanron

• Sly
Softball Players/Coaches
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:47:27 AM »
Last night I found out I'll be the coach for a adult co-ed softball team. I have very limited experience in this department. I was selected as coach due to the fact I volunteered to help the guy who was going to be coach but he had to back out all together. I'm asking my brothers in baldness for any advice, tips, ideas.......etc, you might have from past or present experiences. Anything will be helpful from the 1st practice to in game decisions that have to be made.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Softball Players/Coaches
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »
Ron-

I played softball for 35 years. I played 6 days a week at one point ( 8 games a week) for a few years. I played and coached on every kind of team you can imagine..... co-ed, serious teams, fun teams, and high end Tournament teams. Every one of those types of teams has a different dynamic.

Since you're playing co-ed let's talk about that. I've never seen a co-ed team that could really be considered serious. I don't mean that in a negative way... what I mean is that generally those teams are put together strictly for fun along with a little competition. The skill level on these teams is generally lower with the "weekend warrior" types.

You will no doubt have at LEAST one guy who thinks he is "the man" and will be frustrated with the less skilled players. Put an end to it at the first sign of frustration on his part or hard feelings will develope. Remind him that it's co-ed and this is what you get at that level.

Co-ed ball should be treated as a fun thing. Play people where the Hell they want to play as long as they won't get hurt playing a position because of their skill level. Co-ed and beer usually goes very well together.

As the coach you will dictate the temperment of the team so keep it cool.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice Mike.

You hit on several things that I was wondering about. At pracitce I think I'll tell folks to go to the positions they want to play hit a few balls to them and then let everyone take some hacks themselves. I'm going to express the "Lets have fun with this and not take it too serious" from the outset.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:57:04 AM »
I played softball for 35 years. I played 6 days a week at one point ( 8 games a week) for a few years. I played and coached on every kind of team you can imagine..... co-ed, serious teams, fun teams, and high end Tournament teams.

Jeez, can anyone else help Ron out, who has at least SOME experience in these things?  O:O  $c#m