Author Topic: Will You Let it Grow Back?  (Read 21171 times)

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
Re: Will You Let it Grow Back?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »
Dude, I'm not a troll, I shave my head every 2 days to stay ahead of the shadow...it's a royal pain in the ass compared to going to the barber once a month.    I never said you were lying, I just think we justify and blue sky things that we cant do anything about.. its perfectly normal.

Shaving is easy compared to the daily maintenance (washing, conditioning, combing, drying) required between monthly haircuts.
shaving is fun and enjoyable to me. i think if you find it a hassle and pain then maybe MPB was not the issue that caused the hair to leave you maybe it was treating it poorly.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:26:27 AM by lordmage »
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 04:23:48 AM »

Shaving is easy compared to the daily maintenance (washing, conditioning, combing, drying) required between monthly haircuts.

Everyone keeps saying this, did everyone here play guitar for Dokken, back in the day?

I wore my hair short so 3 of these steps were unnecessary, and washing your head is no different than washing your hair.

I've been shaving since around my join date here, and  I havent successfully done it once without cutting myself.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:25:57 AM by njbill »

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 04:29:53 AM »

I wore my hair short so 3 of these steps were unnecessary, and washing your head is no different than washing your hair.

I've been shaving since around my join date here, and  I havent successfully done it once without cutting myself.

then may i humbly suggest take your time after a hot shower and follow a proper routine. maybe the nicks and cuts lye in a fault of your routine or your going to fast without enough blade cleaning. i to kept my hair short and find shaving much easier then the wash rinse repeat scrub and such. cleaning hair of any length is the same if you follow the directions and dont skip steps then shave is far easier.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 05:49:08 AM »
Dude, I'm not a troll, I shave my head every 2 days to stay ahead of the shadow...it's a royal pain in the ass compared to going to the barber once a month.    I never said you were lying, I just think we justify and blue sky things that we cant do anything about.. its perfectly normal.

That's okay as far as it goes, but it doesnt account for the 50% of us who have a full head of hair and still choose to shave it bald...
 8)

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 07:19:28 AM »
My first go 'round with sly in 2005-2007 was partially due to MPB and partially due to having to keep my hair short for the Air Force anyway and I got tired of paying 10 bucks a week for a bad haircut.  I started by buzzing it to a one and then I finally just shaved it off.

I let it grow out when I retired from the AF and it looks okay longish, but my Friar Tuck is growing and my forehead is expanding and I simply refuse to allow that "David Letterman Island o' Hair" thing happen to me.  I'm sly now and I LIKE it.  I LIKE shaving.  It's enjoyable to me.  Part of the reason is because I've learned over time that when I shave my noggin I have to take it easy and go slow.  I HAVE to relax or I shred my head.  I CAN shave it in five minutes without a nick now, but that was after getting a decent form down.

Everybody nicks themselves once in a while, but if you're cutting yourself EVERY time you shave...well...you're doin' it wrong. 
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 02:28:08 PM »
Ive tried it all, Mach 3, headblade, sensor, gel, soap, etc.. my dome has some surface irregularities in the back from catching a bottle across it back when I used to bounce at a topless bar.

I've since given up and just use the Wahl balding clipper every 4-5 days.

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 02:30:09 PM »
[

That's okay as far as it goes, but it doesnt account for the 50% of us who have a full head of hair and still choose to shave it bald...
 8)

For some people it's an improvement, like the guy with the Art Garfunkel hair, I mentioned.   Unfortunately, I was not one of those people.

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 02:31:47 PM »

then may i humbly suggest take your time after a hot shower and follow a proper routine. maybe the nicks and cuts lye in a fault of your routine or your going to fast without enough blade cleaning. i to kept my hair short and find shaving much easier then the wash rinse repeat scrub and such. cleaning hair of any length is the same if you follow the directions and dont skip steps then shave is far easier.

Dude, there's no chance of lacerating yourself unless you shampoo with a kitchen knife.  Repeat?   Who the heck ever did that? 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 03:54:40 PM »

You haven't gotten the hang of it after two years?    :o :o  I've never come across anyone who didn't get the hang of it after a week or so, at the most. 

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »
[

8)

For some people it's an improvement, like the guy with the Art Garfunkel hair, I mentioned.   Unfortunately, I was not one of those people.

...If you don't like shaving and keep cutting yourself and don't feel the look is an improvement, then why shave? ???

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 07:20:01 PM »
I said it's a marginal improvement over MPB... which I have

I also said it can be an improvement over hair, depending on the individual.   

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 07:23:15 PM »

You haven't gotten the hang of it after two years?    :o :o  I've never come across anyone who didn't get the hang of it after a week or so, at the most. 

Like I said I cant seem to do the back, the barber even nicked it on his attempt.. there's some surface irregularities back there that are difficult to shave.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
I've grown it back once... NEVER again!  I'll be 'Sly Till I Die'.  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:28 PM »
sometimes I think I could grow it back just to see what I look like with hair (even before I shaved I kept a full head of hair at a buzzed #1 or 2...but growing hair is just such a hassle, and as soon as the velcro comes on I reach for the blade.

Why change something I absolutely love? :)

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
Here's a post from this very site.   Arguing that shaving your head somehow saves time is ridiculous.

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=13103.msg214446#msg214446