Author Topic: Shape Up Shoes  (Read 2950 times)

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
Shape Up Shoes
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
Has anyone tried the Shape Up Shoes by Sketchers for running or walking. I was thinking of trying them, any thoughts about if they are worth the high price? Thanks.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
Re: Shape Up Shoes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »
I've had mine since about April.  They're the first shoes I've had in a long while that don't hurt my feet which is huge for me.  It feels like you're walking on two balance balls.  You HAVE to have your core engaged when you walk in them or you get all wobbly.  You will feel your legs working from your calves all the way up through your glutes. 

Read the directions and watch the DVD.  Don't think you're going to trek off on a 5 mile first thing.  If I walk too long in them, the stabilizers on the sides of my knees start to ache.  But that's only if I'm on my feet for more than an hour at a time. 

I would say they're worth the money and they may be the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn.  There is a ramping up period.  Don't overdo it right away. 
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »
Thanks Timmer, I have the DVD and have watched it. I've heard the same thing about not overdoing it right away. I'm really giving it some positive thoughts. I'll let you know.

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:06:27 PM »
in my area the only carry women colors ie pink and such and even when i ask to buy the more neutral colors they dont carry a woman shoe big enough for my huge feet.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »
Thanks Lordmage, I'm running (ha ha)into the same problem here. All I can find are womens shoes. I am beginning to wonder if they are just for women?? I guess I'll have to do it online, or  I can run to Cheyenne since it has more to offer. Maybe I'll find men's styles. Since men's styles are so limited maybe that's why they are more expensive?

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »
john that is what i was told that shape ups where a women only shoe.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike

Pshrynk

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:58:37 AM »
I'm a skeptic by nature.  I wonder if they may cause problems long term? 

Offline TGB1

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:33:13 AM »
I have not tried them and will  not.

I have made all or a part of my living as a trainer for almost thirty years and generally ignore products such as these. Once in a while one will survive over time and perhaps prove some worth, but that is seldom.

Marketing is the key even for a system (P90X) for instance that is effective. They sell this system like it is revolutionary, it isn't. It is a "reworked" version of many classic programs that have existed over the years.
.....the quiet brightness of the city disconcerts. Somewhere malfeasance percolates. There is work to be done.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:39:52 AM »
All I know is that my feet and my back haven't hurt since I started wearing them.  That works for me.

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:06:17 PM »
I wonder how much damage Shape Ups will do to knees down the road for people that wear them. Maybe none, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to take the chance. I'd think twice before wearing them long term. Maybe try them, but the first sign of knee pain I'd be wary.

(I say this as someone who had double knee surgery last year.)
TheBBQGuy

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
Thanks guys, I have knee pain now (arthrits) in both knees, some people have told me that it would help to get rid of the pain?? I sure wouldn't want to mess up my knees any more and have to go through the replacement thing. Now with more of you guys reviews, I'm really getting more confused. What to do?? :-\

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »
your body your rules. the only persons to tell you other wise are your wife, your doctor ,the other you.
"Just Do it" Nike

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »
It's not my knee-joints that hurt when I where them, it's the muscles long the sides of my knees if I'm my feet for an hour or more. 

Offline kelly123

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 04:42:38 AM »
Those are not much worth using. I thing you should take some more time to thing on this. Shape Up shoes may create adverse results also. You can consult some experts regarding this.