Author Topic: HELP!!!... Razor Bumps After Facial Shaving  (Read 13462 times)

Offline dexter

• Sly Guy in Training
HELP!!!... Razor Bumps After Facial Shaving
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »
hey guys need advices on this issue that i have

i shave my chin n face everyday as my facial hair grows very fast, the problem is i get pimples n bumps around my shaving area..

heres my shaving routine every morn after waking up

1) using towel with hot water to soak my chin (shaving region) for about 3 mins

2) apply gilette shaving foam

3) using gilette fusion shaver to shave. sometimes i shave a area more than once cause it isnt propely shaven
     i change my blade every 2 weeks

4) washing with cool tap water

5) apply moisturing cream

is there anything wrong with my routine? could it be because i shave a area more than once?

parksie

Re: HELP!!!... Razor Bumps After Facial Shaving
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »
Try looking for a 2 blade razor such as the sensor excel. Shower first then shave if possible. Also try shaving every-other-day because you are just causing more irritation going over the already irritated skin

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:48:51 AM »
What your doing all sound good. The only things I can say that might help are :
 1) Don't save against the grain if you are.
 2) Try using witch hazel as an after shave.
 3) There is a razor sold , called " The Bump Fighter" you may want to give it a try.

Bumps are generally caused by the hair being cut below the skin level.
 This sometimes causes the hair to grow back into the skin, instead of growing up and out. Also skin irritation can be another cause.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:01:25 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:59 AM »
Grow a beard. >:D

Offline Smooth_Operator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »
Soak (or rinse) your razor in rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide before using it.  If I use the same razor twice without sterilizing it, I break out as well.  All of the other advice is sound, too... so you can either be scientific about it and eliminate the reasons one by one or try a bunch of things and hope for the best.  Or just grow that beard.  ;)

Offline dexter

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »
Try looking for a 2 blade razor such as the sensor excel. Shower first then shave if possible. Also try shaving every-other-day because you are just causing more irritation going over the already irritated skin

the lesser the blade the better it is? all the while i believed that the more blades the better n cleaner the job is..

i have to shave everyday cause my facial hair grows like weed... if only my scalp has this amt of hair  :Xo!

Offline dexter

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »
Soak (or rinse) your razor in rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide before using it.  If I use the same razor twice without sterilizing it, I break out as well.  All of the other advice is sound, too... so you can either be scientific about it and eliminate the reasons one by one or try a bunch of things and hope for the best.  Or just grow that beard.  ;)

are there any alternatives, cant seem to find alcohol n h202 anywhere... will boiling water be sufficient?  when should i sterilize? before i shave?

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »

the lesser the blade the better it is? all the while i believed that the more blades the better n cleaner the job is..

More is not always better. With more blades the risk of getting ingrown hair and skin irritation can increase, depending on your skin.
You should definitely try a different razor.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Smooth_Operator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:27:48 PM »
are there any alternatives, cant seem to find alcohol n h202 anywhere... will boiling water be sufficient?  when should i sterilize? before i shave?

As long as the boiling water won't melt or warp the plastic parts on the razor, that should be fine... and do it immediately before shaving (well... not so immediately that you get burned).  I would suspect that hard alcohol (whiskey/vodka) or maybe even something like an anti-bacterial mouthwash might do the trick since you're not performing surgery with the razor.  The places on earth I can picture not having rubbing alcohol available match up with places that don't have internet either, so maybe you're just missing it at the store?  ;)

Offline dexter

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 08:27:07 AM »
hey guys a update..

i changed my blade to a disposable 2 blade gilette.. i change every week

but my bumps still come out ..

wad could be other areas that might have caused the bumps? could it be the shaving cream?

Offline Smooth_Operator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »
Well, if it's a matter of spreading bacterial nasties around, even shaving with the same razor twice without sterilizing it (let alone for a whole week) will still give you those kinds of bumps.  So that could be the cause.

You might be having a reaction to the shaving cream, so that could be the cause.

If you're not using an astringent (witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide, aftershave) immediately after you shave, that could be the cause.  A bump fighting ointment (sold in lots of drug stores) may help on this end, too.

You might also need to use an exfoliant a couple times a week to clear off dead skin cells, so that could be the cause.  Be sure to moisturize regularly as well.

I suggest trying all of these things at once.  If it helps, you have a solution... if not, see a dermatologist.  If there's an answer to your problem that can be conveyed through the internet, it's probably been addressed in this thread or elsewhere on the board.  Anything beyond that would require an in-person expert examination to determine the causes.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 09:33:34 AM »
Two other things to look at, 1) make sure that all your shaving lotions, etc. are oil free, and 2) if you have a very curely beard, literally kinky, you may not be able to shave against the grain because of the tendency of such hair to turn into the skin and cause this issue.   But, a beard solves the problem w/ the face. 

Offline dexter

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 09:11:34 AM »
Well, if it's a matter of spreading bacterial nasties around, even shaving with the same razor twice without sterilizing it (let alone for a whole week) will still give you those kinds of bumps.  So that could be the cause.

You might be having a reaction to the shaving cream, so that could be the cause.

If you're not using an astringent (witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide, aftershave) immediately after you shave, that could be the cause.  A bump fighting ointment (sold in lots of drug stores) may help on this end, too.

You might also need to use an exfoliant a couple times a week to clear off dead skin cells, so that could be the cause.  Be sure to moisturize regularly as well.

I suggest trying all of these things at once.  If it helps, you have a solution... if not, see a dermatologist.  If there's an answer to your problem that can be conveyed through the internet, it's probably been addressed in this thread or elsewhere on the board.  Anything beyond that would require an in-person expert examination to determine the causes.

i wasthinking to buy alcohol sprays to spray my blades before n after shaving is this a good idea?

also do i have to swab my chin with alcohol bef n aft shave to kill any bacteria?

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 09:51:41 PM »
dexter before shaving a wipe down or scrub with an exfoliate like st. Ives scrub won't hurt but using it after will sting just be ready for it. other after shaves that are oil free and alcohol free would be better for after neturgena sells a after shave balm that would do the trick. some thing else to have checked is your water source.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline blackbaldman19

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 05:38:22 AM »
same thing happened to me before. but it was beacuse i shave against the grain. and i did it constantly. best thing to do is to wait it out for about a week and a half.

Enter your email address: