Author Topic: Accepting Your Grey and When Did You Go Grey  (Read 28125 times)

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
Re: Accepting Your Grey and When Did You Go Grey
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »
I don't mean to 'thrash the tread"  but God just might have a different plan.    Many are denied the privilege of reaching 42.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »
I don't mean to 'thrash the tread"  but God just might have a different plan.    Many are denied the privilege of reaching 42.

I hear you, and you're absolutely right. I'm not complaining -- going grey isn't a problem, any more than going bald is a problem. It happens to all of us at some point, except for those who are unfortunate enough to die too young.  I accept it.  I can live with it.  But I just can't view it as a wonderful thing as some of you apparently can. 

marty22

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »
A few gray hairs here at 21....started to really go gray at age 35.

Offline LiquidCougar

• Chief of Warranty Police
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »
Also I plan on visiting Santa Claus House in nearby North Pole and plan to get Christmas card pics taken there.  So I am hoping to look more Santa like!

Ha. I love it!!

Offline LiquidCougar

• Chief of Warranty Police
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »
I accept it.  I can live with it.  But I just can't view it as a wonderful thing as some of you apparently can. 

I don't know if I speak for the rest of us, but I definitely don't view it as wonderful, or see it in any other positive connotation. Really, I'm indifferent to it.

I watched my father's head go grey over the past several years.. to me, at first it was a sign of him getting old. As time went on though, I saw how little it affected him. My father and I are close, and he's never said a word about it, never even shown any signs that it bothered him. My mother is about as insecure as they come, and she was dying her hair for quite some time to hide it. This stopped a while back. My point is, I began to see my parents' grey hair as a sign of distinguishability. They both clearly took it as simply nothing more than an inevitability, and not a setback.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »
Oh, you meant "wake up and hit wood" as in the sides of a coffin..I was thinking something else..........the loss of which would likely make me consider the coffin.....

(hopefully this is vaguely worded enough to not offend anyone 'cause my original response had something about tv commercials with people in bathtubs....)
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »
I accept it.  I can live with it.  But I just can't view it as a wonderful thing as some of you apparently can. 
I don't know if I speak for the rest of us, but I definitely don't view it as wonderful, or see it in any other positive connotation. Really, I'm indifferent to it.

Same here, it is what it is.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Brint1212

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 08:40:31 PM »
This thread caught my interest, as a lad who was bit by the grey genes pretty young.  I'm 34 and I think I spotted my first grey strands around 19.  Nothing was really apparent however until about three years ago, when grey began sprouting on my sides at a high rate.  I was deployed overseas in '08 and even then -- three years ago -- I can't see grey in the photos (maybe b/c I had a high and tight the whole time). 

In the past two years however, grey went ballistic and basically took over the sides of my head to the point where, well, I'm basically grey now on my sides.  A photo of me with a cap on shot just over this past weekend was a shocker to me for some reason.  First time I've seem myself in a photo with the sun hitting me, now with very apparent, very grey hair.  For me, I'm committed to just accept it and rock it.  Strangely, almost no grey in the beard yet.  For my head, however, I doubt the pepper will still be there in another few years.  c 'est la vie!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 06:41:07 AM »
  For my head, however, I doubt the pepper will still be there in another few years.  c 'est la vie!

What :/O?  Most of the guys here who would have gray hair don't see it any more than their mpb because they shave their heads and hide it in plain sight.  Gray, depending on the shade, could minimize the shadow too. 

Offline Sc00teR

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »
Accept it? I'm supposed to accept it?

::)

Seriously, I didn't mind when the temples started getting wisps of white in my late 30s. I had already embraced my baldness (lost hair between 18-20). A little silver at the temples is kinda distinguished for me. Besides, it's not like there was a lot of hair up there to begin with.

But when my Van Dyke started being flecked with white... well, that I'm not so keen on. My wife loves it, however. So I guess I'm learning to accept it. About the only thing I can do about it is shave the chin fuzz off, but that would disappoint my wife. So...

Hmmm...

Accept it, huh? We're actually supposed to accept it?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »
I not only accept it, I embrace it.

BBCAlex

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:10 AM »
Going grey is why I went sly. I have very thick hair all my head over but it is turning grey at an alarming rate (Im 39) so I decided bald is better than grey.

Offline intex

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »
Mine has by now become white to the extent I have any.  Being older I have also very little body hair which is thin and white. 

In getting a new Drivers license recently you are asked to select hair color.  None wasn't given as a choice.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »

Accept it, huh? We're actually supposed to accept it?

Depends on what you mean by "accept".  If you mean do we have to like it, then hell, no.   ;)  But we do have to learn to live with it -- either by dyeing it, shaving it, or just putting up with the grey -- none of which are great options, IMO. 

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 10:18:44 PM »
You left out actually liking it.   O:O

Enter your email address: