Author Topic: Ocean City Bike Week 2010  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Ocean City Bike Week 2010
« on: September 11, 2010, 06:32:17 AM »
This coming Thursday I'll be heading to Ocean City Maryland for Bike Week. This is a great event. I'll be riding down with two other friends.
We'll be leaving around noon and making the 180 mile trip... stopping a couple of times along the way. Right now the long term weather forecast looks great!

If any of you guys are going PM me and maybe we can meet up. If you are going... Drive safely and watch out for crazies in the cars.

See you at the Beach...............

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Ocean City Bike Week 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:07:57 AM »
SAFE TRIP!!......  Mike.  C#)P   
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:22:33 AM »
Have a great trip. Sounds like fun.

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 02:33:48 AM »
Sounds like a blast!!  Been getting the bike itch myself.....any recommendations for a beginner bike (preferably Harley or similar type cruiser...not a fan of crotch rockets) and i do mean beginner...like never ridden one! (do mopeds count?)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 02:49:21 AM »
Sounds like a blast!!  Been getting the bike itch myself.....any recommendations for a beginner bike (preferably Harley or similar type cruiser...not a fan of crotch rockets) and i do mean beginner...like never ridden one! (do mopeds count?)

A lot depends on how you are going to ride. If you are going to ride on the weekends only or commute short distances one bike might be OK for you but if you plan on riding long distances or plan on taking your wife along it will be a whole different thing.

The fact that you've never ridden shouldn't be a BIG determining factor in what you buy. Believe me, if you buy small (say a Sportster) and it's not the right type of Bike for the type of riding you are going to do you will be trading up in a year or less.

I'd recommend taking a Motorcycle safety course first. Many used to offer small Bikes to learn on. Check out this link... just choose your state and go from there:

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:55:37 AM »

The smallest of the Harleys I would recommend is the Dyna Glide Series. The Dynas are the smallest (same engine size) of the HOGs and great looking Bikes (I'm partial to the new DYna Wide Glide). They are NOT the greatest Bikes for long distance touring but not bad. You and your wife can ride locally pretty comfortably on one of these unless you are a huge guy. The Dynas are also on the bottom end of the HOGs cost wise.

I personally have a Road King and love it for a lot of reasons. The wife loves it and other than her butt getting sore, we can travel long distances comfortably on it.

As for learning to ride..... try to find a smaller dirt bike or street bike to learn on.... say a 125 or 250.

PM me with any questions you might have!

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 05:36:51 AM »
Yeah..probably just a weekend warrior type deal....but would love to throw the wife on bacl also!!  Will PM when I get a bit more serious about shopping.

Have fun this weekend!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 05:48:16 AM »
Have a great and safe trip Mike.  Wish I lived closer so I could hop on the Softtail and join ya.  I will have to console myself with knowing that the great rides of autuimn color are just around the corner.   Be safe
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost