Author Topic: Anti-shaving article from 1855  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
Anti-shaving article from 1855
« on: August 31, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »
Found this on another forum. It is a pretty funny read. Can you imagine all us Sly guys gathered together to protest this article in New Hampshire in 1885, lol

"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Anti-shaving article from 1855
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »
I don't know that it's against shaving the dome so much as it's addressed at the beard--but I don't know if anyone other than monks and eastern mystics shaved their heads in the 19th century.  But it's spot on if you favor beards--it is a waste of time to shave.  I've seen a number of guys not only w/ goats and shaved domes, but even full, mountain man style beards and clean scalps.  Lots of quotes on beards:     Wikipedia has several, two good ones I liked are  "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women—and I am neither one." -Greek saying  "A woman with a beard looks like a man. A man without a beard looks like a woman." - Afghan Saying.
Thanks for posting this as I begin the journey to repair the damage I did to my goat. 

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
Is shaving barbarous or barber-ous?

Interesting how things change over time. Thanks for the peek into the past.

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »
Yep, it is definitely about shaving the beard, funniest part about article is that the writer believed that it was unhealthy to shave the face due to the wasted additional "nutriment" expended because shaving increases the hair growth.
I'm guessing if he had a problem with face shaving he would freakout over head shaving.

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:00:10 AM »
Ya if that was about shaving your beard it sounds like they'd burn you alive for shaving your head. Because think of all the nutrients your losing out of the top of the head.... I really hope no one looks back at us 150 years in the future and thinks that we were idiots.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
Ya if that was about shaving your beard it sounds like they'd burn you alive for shaving your head. Because think of all the nutrients your losing out of the top of the head.... I really hope no one looks back at us 150 years in the future and thinks that we were idiots.
Perhaps we will be highly regarded for starting the anti-hair movement. Most every highly advanced civilization sports the chrome dome. Just watch Star Trek and Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind for examples.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 03:37:10 AM »
I really hope no one looks back at us 150 years in the future and thinks that we were idiots.
Some may think that right now. Who cares? ;D
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
This is all fine for the men who can grow a decent beard.  I'm in favor of facial hair but other than a "stach" I'm not so equiped.  As for goats-SaintC-get busy and grow it back.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am