Author Topic: UFC 116  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
UFC 116
« on: July 05, 2010, 06:20:55 AM »
Any MMA fans?   Saturday night had several great fights.

**********************Spoilers below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***********************

Lesnar took the win over Carwin  :-\    Carwin will be back though....cardio just wasnt up to par yet!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:24:19 AM by Rob-Raz »

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: UFC 116
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 08:10:47 AM »
Big fan here. Right from the very beginning in the U.S. with UFC 1, way back in 1993. I'm just in awe of how much the sport has grown and developed. I am out of the country right now, and was unable to watch the event on Saturday night, but from what I've read on the blogs (Junkie, 5 Ounces) it was a fantastic card, with some great fights.

Regarding cardio, it's VERY hard for those huge guys to maintain much staying power, but I think you're right, Carwin will be back with a vengeance. From what I understand he actually knocked Lesner out briefly, and just couldn't keep him out. The rematch will be massive.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 09:05:50 AM »
Also a big fan as well is my son.I go back to the early fights. I use to like boxing but prefer the UFC  & WEC. ^^32
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
Yep same here guys.....I can still remember ordering that first pay-per-view and being in awe of Royce Gracie. That was all she wrote...started ordering vids of Pancrase, Pride, Shooto....anything I could find!  Am also amazed at how the sport has developed over the years.  Fan for life!!!!!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »
The outcome of the Lesnar/Carwin fight is kinda disappointing to me. I didn't see it but am going by what I've read. I was hoping for Carwin to tee off big time.

The reason is that Lesnar strikes me as a guy with very little humility. I have seen films of him after winning a fight ridiculing his opponent. I tend to be a fan of "good winners". To me there is a profound difference between celebrating a victory and being an a$$hole. Lesnar, IMO, has crossed that line a sufficient number of times including once that he was reprimanded by Dana White (was that after the Mir fight?). That stuff is OK in pro wrestling, that's part of the draw of that spectacle. I don't feel like it has a place in MMA. I think a show of respect to a downed opponent shows class. Think Georges St. Pierre. I mean, after all, none of these guys are punks. With regard to what they do in the cage each and every one of them is deserving of a measure of respect.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline TGB1

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »
People still tend to under rate because he does not cater to the fans enough and because he came from the wonderful world of P. T. McMahon. He is a big draw and a huge talent who has not even approached his full capabilities. Carwin hit him hard and often, knocked him down but never out. Lesnar worked the floor well while Carwin wore himself out.

.....the quiet brightness of the city disconcerts. Somewhere malfeasance percolates. There is work to be done.

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »
Another MMA fan here. I thought the referee in the Lesnar vs Carwin did a great job for not stopping the fight in the first round. Great fight! Can't wait for the rematch.

Offline marcx

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
Another MMA fan here. I thought the referee in the Lesnar vs Carwin did a great job for not stopping the fight in the first round. Great fight! Can't wait for the rematch.

Agreed--thought it was close there for a minute!

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »
Agree with just about all points above. Been a fan from the start - Don "The Predator" Frye is one of my all time fave fighters, but Fedor is my main man (despite his stupid, amateur-ish loss in his last fight.).

Re: Carwin/Lesnar - I was hoping like heck that Shane would put Brock in his place (as, like Bhudda, I abhor the trash-talkers and much prefer the gentlemen of the sport, like Randy Couture.) and he came within a hair's breadth of doing just that. Shane proved to the world that night that Brock is NOT an unbeatable juggernaut (his submission loss to Mir can be written off to his inexperience,) but a man who can be knocked on his butt, and knocked out. I very much look forward to a rematch, and hope Shane can finish what he started. But, you have to give a nod to Brock, too - he took all those wrecking ball punches from Shane, and was still there to finish the fight. No doubt about it, Lesnar vs. Carwin II will sell HUGE!

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 03:41:36 AM »
Have to agree on Fedor....he is a beast and practically beat himself in that last fight with that silly mistake. He won't make that mistake twice.

Lesnar-Carwin 2 will definitely be a big draw. I do think Carwin has the power to KO Lesnar as his chin is still suspect (in my opinion)   Most of the punches Carwin was throwing while Brock was turtled up really weren't landing.  I will give Lesnar his due, he hung in there and came back with a very impressive submission for as new to the sport as he is. He has also toned down the WWE ego a bit, which turned me off to him right from the start.

I am about fed up with Anderson Silvas antics as well....but I really think he's gonna come out ready to swing against Sonnen.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 05:58:55 AM »
No less a figure than Dana White has said that if Silva doesn't stop the stupid antics that have been showcased in his last 2 fights, he'll fire Anderson. So I kinda think he'll step up and fight, because I don't think he wants to lose the money and exposure that the UFC gives him.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
OK, make that UFC 117.

How about that Chael Sonnen?? Came within a few minutes of defeating "The Spider!" Creating yet another intriguing rematch that fans will be dying for?!

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 01:10:55 AM »
Yep....posted in the other thread.  Rematch is definitely needed....but do you think he will get it for his next fight?