Author Topic: Goatee Grooming Tips  (Read 14245 times)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
Re: Goatee Grooming Tips
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 12:13:10 AM »
First I trimmed the moustache area, but a few weeks ago shaved that off...

Coincidentally, I just shaved my mustache part of the Van Dyke off as well. I had just planned on having a true goat, but I modified it even further today to a chin tip goat. I got tired of the mustache and wanted a cleaner look.
So far it's staying, lol.

As far as the grays, they will come anyway so you may as well get used to it.   ;)

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 10:30:06 PM »

I really don't want to go to a barber to get it groomed, but have heard that is the way to do it...

That's what I do -- except in those rare situations that I can't get to a barbershop to get it done.  It's $5 well spent as far as I'm concerned because I'm never happy with the way it looks when I do it myself.
After growing it back the past couple months it started to get out of hand...so I did go to the barber...a couple bonuses other than it looking really good...

1.  Before I could say anything she trimmed my eyebrows and they look better...
2.  She, the barber, was fascinated with my dome and got a great head rub...

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »
The time has come again...

It seems around every 6-9 months I get the urge to shave it all off again.

I've sported a feeble attempt at a beard for a bit, Van Dyke, and the goat for the past year.

...but am going Mr. Clean again today.

Only to grow it back.

Anyone else do the same thing or something similar?

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 07:02:54 AM »
Yep - I'm right there with you. Just as I shave my head, grow it back into various styles and then shave it again - I do the same thing with facial hair. But I don't often go clean shaven while bald because I simply don't like the way I look. When I'm bald on top, I need some facial hair or I just (at least in my opinion) look goofy. But when my hair is any longer than a #1, I like to go from full beard to clean shaven and everything in-between.

One thing I haven't tried, but may do later in the fall as the weather cools off - is shaved head and full beard. It seems to be a popular new look.

Slynito

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
I like using a Whale fade/beard trimmer...does a good job and is reliable. But it won't handle some voltages/Hz in other countries.

Offline NESTYdPOGI

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 10:41:05 PM »
I just trim my vandyke using scissors and small comb... and i try to make sharp edges using razor... so far it works for me. O0

Offline xabydaddy

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »
Hair clippers with guard.

Offline Pratzie

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 04:00:38 AM »
I just trim around the edges.  Im never cutting it again except for the mustash so I don't eat it.  Im going to grow my goat to a foot and then braid it and put beads or something on it.  My wife thinks Im kidding ...

every year for the last three years ive stopped trimming mine (except around my mouth) around christmas and let it grow in real long and thick up to St Patricks day and then dyed it a slight reddish color for the parade/binge drinking fest.  I'm not irish, im a fat polack with brown hair, but it looks good and i get compliments so i keep doing it.

as far as tips for trimming, I usually just trim it with the setting set on 6, and then use my fusion to edge it.  i don't use anything other then hot water when im trimming so my face is used to it but if ur used to using sometihng, try the shave oil or Bold for Men.  The main reason is that they are clear and will give u a good idea where to keep the blade to keep the outline looking clean.