Author Topic: A little regret is setting in  (Read 15477 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: A little regret is setting in
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 05:14:13 AM »
I hung out with a couple of friends today and they were very supportive and one , who happened to be sly, even asked, "what took you so long?"    I am extremely grateful to all of you for your support.  As for Nick, although I am a HAPPILY married man, it was definitely  an ego boost when a nice looking woman tried to pick me up while I was jogging at the beach. 

Good man, it's tough, but a few more jogs at the beach  ;D ;D ;D ought to patch any ego issues.  And, it just keeps happening, that's the bonus of sly. 

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 06:20:51 AM »
Isn't it an awesome feeling??  So worried and everything ends up perfect!  Sleep better now and enjoy the SLY!  Congrats, my friend.

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
Yeah, you look fine, man, it suits you.

I'm nearly two weeks in myself, my only regrets are having the stupid hair transplants I had done 20 years ago.  It's left my otherwise beautiful head somewhat mutilated.  THAT's my biggest regret. You don't have that issue, however.
I just really, really wish that only 20 lousy years ago, going sly was as en vogue and acceptable as it is today. I would've had no problem doing it at all, saved myself 5 grand, and had a nice smooth noggin to show off.

I see hair as an all or nothing deal. You either have a nice full head of it, or, if it wants to leave you, I say to it, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.  Just get rid of it if it starts to "leave". It's one or the other. Anything in-between looks goofy to me.

For that matter, anything beats living a lie, having to keep up the appearances, the high maintenance and cost, etc..
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline jerry020653

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
First of all, you look great. And you have got to realize a few things. First of all, its not a big deal to anyone that doesnt know you. You are just another guy that shaves his head, and they dont care. The awkward part is when you meet people that you know. I just got around it by saying, "Hey, what do you think about the new doo?", and made a little joke about it. Doesnt take long to get through most of your friends and acquaintances, and then you are back to mostly strangers, who , once again, dont know or care.

Everyone probably has some amount of regret when they first do it. I know I did. But it wears off, when you start to realize the benefits.

First of all, if its not your natural hair, people always know. I used to notice people snickering around me, but now that I am sly, no one gives me a second look, because it is natural, and accepted. People dont stare at your shadow, or even notice it. You are just being a little sensitive right now, so you are making it something more than it is. I usually shave every morning, but I've gotten to the point that sometimes I go two or three days without shaving if I dont feel like it.

The biggest benefit, is the total freedom it gives you. Before, I was always afraid of doing things with my kids, like going on rides, or swimming, or roughhousing, getting caught in the wind or a blast of air, or a rainstorm. My life seemed to revolve around and even be controlled by my need to preserve my "secret".

Now, I can do ANYTHING I WANT, and never have to worry about it. I can walk in the middle of a storm and not be worried about what is going to happen to my hair, and my kids can crawl all over my head while we are roughhousing without me having the slightest amount of panic. I can go on amusement park rides, drive my new convertible, drive a motorcycle, anything. I have never felt so free and alive, and have done things that I hadnt done in twenty years or more because of my hair. Shaving every morning is a small price to pay for this wonderful freedom, and I will never go back.

I'm sure you will begin to feel that way too, once you get over your initial feelings.

Offline Mauricio

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 09:16:09 PM »
The biggest benefit, is the total freedom it gives you. Before, I was always afraid of doing things with my kids, like going on rides, or swimming, or roughhousing, getting caught in the wind or a blast of air, or a rainstorm. My life seemed to revolve around and even be controlled by my need to preserve my "secret".

Now, I can do ANYTHING I WANT, and never have to worry about it. I can walk in the middle of a storm and not be worried about what is going to happen to my hair, and my kids can crawl all over my head while we are roughhousing without me having the slightest amount of panic. I can go on amusement park rides, drive my new convertible, drive a motorcycle, anything. I have never felt so free and alive, and have done things that I hadnt done in twenty years or more because of my hair. Shaving every morning is a small price to pay for this wonderful freedom, and I will never go back.

Jerry, you are absolutely right,  the freedom is amazing!  I too love the freedom of taking my kid to the amusement park and to the pool and not worrying AT ALL about somebody figuring out my secret...truly liberating!!  You're also right about the strangers not looking twice.  I'll be returning to work from vacation in a couple of weeks and I must admit that that still terrifies me.  I'm working to get over it and I have for the most part, but the whole going back to work thing is still on my mind.  Thanks for the support guys!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
I'll be returning to work from vacation in a couple of weeks and I must admit that that still terrifies me.  I'm working to get over it and I have for the most part, but the whole going back to work thing is still on my mind.  Thanks for the support guys!!

The good news is that it will all be over five minutes after you walk through the door at work on your first day back.  I can remember being scared to death facing the office the first time, and I'm sure that many others here had similar experiences.  I got a few compliments, no negative comments, and most people didn't seem to notice at all.  All in all, it was a huge non-event.  I'm sure it will be the same for you.

Offline jerry020653

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 10:39:47 PM »
I'll be returning to work from vacation in a couple of weeks and I must admit that that still terrifies me.  I'm working to get over it and I have for the most part, but the whole going back to work thing is still on my mind.  Thanks for the support guys!!

Simple way to fix that. Just send an email to work titled "The New Me", and attach a photo of yourself saying that you are having a great time and decided to try something different. All the hard work will be done, and no one will be shocked when you walk in. I'm sure there will be a few jokes, but I'll bet there will be more compliments than anything.

Funny thing about when I did mine, was that nobody recognized me. I walked into work wearing sunglasses, and they didnt know who I was until I spoke - lol. I've told everyone that if I had known that no one would recognize me, I would have robbed a bank before shaving - lol.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 10:18:34 AM »
the whole going back to work thing is still on my mind.
I believe you said you were in education so you have two groups to contend w/, your fellow teachers and the students.  Your fellow teachers probably all realized or at least speculated that you had a toupee anyway, and unless there are some real jerks in the crowd, I would think you'd only get compliments or no comments.  The students, well that's going to depend on their age.  Younger ones are probably going to say something but more than likely overwhelmingly positive because they are raised in a society that not only approves of head shaving but has many role models who are sly.  The new movie Expendables is also going to help--many of them will have seen it and you look like you belong in the cast.  Older students are also going to be positive for the same reason.  But the really great thing is that if you're teaching in a high school there are going to be young guys who are facing mpb and you are for them a positive take on the issue.  Just think if you'd had a positive role model as your mpb started that was sly, wouldn't it have been a great support to you as mpb began?  Just like your son, those guys this year and hereafter are going to have a positive view of mpb, no guilt or self consciousness--just another alternative as they grow.  They won't spend the hours in self-doubt before a mirror because you set a good example of dealing with it up front and personal.  Their decision will be taken by choice of shave equipment, and that's a great situation.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:20:14 PM by saintc »

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
Absolutely, the kids will love it. 
It's a very "in" look nowadays, and I've had several people tell me so in fact, and I've only been sly for about a month.
You'll probably be told you look younger too.  I have been. The one thing kids don't tolerate today is combovers and toups. That's lame. It also makes you look older or fake.

The freedom is worth any reservations. I too used to plan my life around my "secret", though mine was using Toppik - tons of it. The HTs I had gave me enough hair for it to anchor to, but it was still my slavemaster. So great to be free of that.
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 04:22:47 AM »
Mauricio.....just brought this post back after seeing your newest avatar picture. You look really happy man!   I know you struggled with this for awhile and I just wanted to let you know you made the right decision.  O0

Offline Bald Kahuna

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Paddling outrigger w/Princess Kahuna-Maui coast
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 11:40:53 AM »
Aloha Mauricio,

You're looking good like a SLY guy should. That's all I can add after the guys above gave you their great confidence building thoughts. Good luck, soon the bumps will be gone, and it will be "smooth" sailing from now on.
Bald Kahuna

Offline BikerDave

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »
Man, it's only hair. Get over it. The rug made you look like a dumbass. Now you're bold and beautiful and exude confidence. Make that your story and stick to it.
If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 03:50:27 PM »
The problem with a rug is it looks like a rug. Bald looks good on you. The skin problems will go away. Don't give up.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »
We put steel on skull every day.  Can you be more confident than that?  I don't think so. 
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 06:26:04 PM »
I have no regrets.  I am happily married, but to illustrate the apparent power of the sly, I offer this story.

I am a very active participant in another well followed forum about composting, gardening, local food, and farming.  I changed my profile picture the other day and within a few short minutes I received a private message about my new lack of hair style.  She said, "I hope your wife doesn't mind, but you sure do look better than Kojak."

Funny.

Of course, the first thing I did was tell me wife about the e-mail.
TheBBQGuy