Author Topic: A little regret is setting in  (Read 15475 times)

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
Re: A little regret is setting in
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 06:04:38 AM »
Not a whole lot more to be said that hasn't been already. You really do pull off the look well...just give it some time.

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 06:22:28 AM »
I agree with ROB-RAZZ......brother, you look great!  Took the wife to New Orleans this week for our anniversary and while in the Quarter, getting a beer at the bar, there were 3 of us {SLY} guys standing shoulder to shoulder....what a hoot when we noticed it.  Drank to each other and our wives LOVED it.  You are not alone, my friend.  Relish the moment and be HAPPY!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Ditto to all of the above Mauricio.  I have a suggestion for you, while going through the transition, play the game of spotting dumb men with rugs. If you can tell they are wearing one then you must come to terms that everyone knew you well also sporting the dreaded rug.   Then realize that of those men, you are the intelligent one.  You have met Mother Nature head-on.  Besides, what's better than beating Mother Nature and looking so damn good in the process?  NOTHING!!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Mauricio

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »
Thank you all for the support.  This is tough and I hope that I can soon be on the other end telling someone that it is the best decision I ever made.  I know that I have to suck it up and just go for it.  To be totally honest, I've done the no hat thing at the beach, a water park, a book store (in a different town), and while driving around.  However, I have not been around friends with the sly look.  My excuse is that I'm trying to get some color before showing it off.  Also,  I don't have any bumps except for the top of the horse shoe.  On the sides the sly look blends in pretty well but in the back the irritated skin seems to accentuate the MPB.  Again, thanks for all of the support.  Also, has anyone ever been to a dermatologist regarding razor bumps?  I've never really had  a problem with razor bumps on my face and I'm wondering if I should continue shaving the irritated area?  What about using an electric razor for the sensitive area?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 09:49:45 AM »
However, I have not been around friends with the sly look.  My excuse is that I'm trying to get some color before showing it off.  

It's a big change, huge and to one degree or another we've all been there--IMO that's the benefit of SBG, you've got guys here to answer the questions and to assure you what you're going through is nothing new.  I hope you don't think this is too intrusive, but I'm sure your friends knew about the piece, they will probably support you in your decision to be free of it.  Take off the hat, be yourself with your friends--the comments you get, and there won't be as many as you think, will be predominately in favor of it.  And, unlike some of us your wife is on board. Who among your friends will disagree with her opinion?  Glad you have the determination to be free, and we're here to help you through the rough spots.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:11:50 AM by saintc »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
Your friends will be supportive; it's perfectly natural to be apprehensive, but it's completely unwarranted.  Just confront the problem and face them.  It's a little scary, like ripping a bandage off a wound, but it feels a lot better once it's done.  It does get easier as time goes by.

With respect to the bumps, keep the affected area clean with an astringent like witch hazel.  You might want to shave only every other day until they clear up.  Your scalp isn't used to being shaved, so it will take a little while to toughen up.  Whatever you may have previously used to secure your hairpiece might also have irritated your skin.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 01:48:48 PM »
There is a little saying  - -

"Mother nature only created so many perfect heads and the rest she covered in HAIR"

Aren't we the lucky ones  - - -

Sly Bald is wonderful   and you look GREAT  - - -just stay with us

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »
Hey Mauricio !

Chill !  Relax !  Don't have a needless Male Pattern Bald Cornonary before you're 40 !  Take the 30 day rule.  Let your scalp adjust.  Don't forget THAT hairsystem forced your natural bald skin in submission for a few years !  Let your bald head FINALLY adjust to its natural stage.  I had red spots, sore spots for a few weeks but it went away with the help of Bactine .... no dermatologist needed !  You look awesomely bald !
---Stasiu

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 08:35:23 AM »
What about using an electric razor for the sensitive area?

Depends on the electric. Get a good quality unit.....Panasonic makes some of the best around. I have an 8243K which I bought on the recommendation of Simply Red in this forum. I have never regretted the purchase. Use a good quality pre-shave lotion. I use Williams Lectric Shave or Mennen Afta Pre-Electric Shave Lotion. Make sure that the unit you buy is a "wet-dry" so that you can use it in the shower and also clean the blades thoroughly after use with any of the lotions, especially the Williams. Put some Dawn dish soap in a cup with some pretty hot water and submerge the shaving head into the hot soapy water while it's running.
I also have a Braun shaver. IMO I think the Braun is made more for the face than for the dome. The Panasonic cuts way closer with less irritation than the Braun but I know that some of the guys here favor Braun.
Normally I'm a blade man because nothing gets as close as a blade. However, if I'm in a hurry or if I have cuts that haven't healed completely the electric comes out. I'm a believer in the old adage "perfection is the enemy of good enough".
ConAir makes something called the Clean Head. Walmart sells it through their online store. It is said to be made specifically for the dome. I've never used one but it has gotten both thumbs up and thumbs down in this forum. It's cheap enough to be worth experimenting with, about $35 I think.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Nick

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »
 :/O

You're wacky man.  First off, you look great.  With that look, you should be able to pull any lady you want.  It's all attitude and confidence.  You look great with no hair. 

Go and meet your friends, dude.  Don't wait any longer.  Start working on the things you can control. 

(|8-)

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 06:51:36 PM »
However, I have not been around friends with the sly look.  My excuse is that I'm trying to get some color before showing it off.
When you're going through a tough time, avoiding your friends is probably a bad idea.  Are you really worried they're going to stop being your friends because of your hair?  Of course not.

Now there are some groups of guys who relate to each other mainly by teasing each other.  Is that what's going on?  If your friends are like that, you've given them an obvious target, like any change would, but you should recognize the teasing for what it is—a lot of guys aren't comfortable saying, "Hey that looks great," so the way they acknowledge that they're paying attention is with teasing. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 09:25:59 PM »
Usually when a guy shaves his head he can expect some good-natured ribbing from his friends.  But I'm guessing that when a guy stops wearing a hairpiece and shaves his head, that most of his friends won't tease him because they'll understand that it wasn't an easy thing to do. 

Offline Mauricio

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »
Fellas,  I can't begin to put into words how much your support has meant!  This has been the most difficult decision (from an aesthetic point of view) that I have ever made in my life.  I hung out with a couple of friends today and they were very supportive and one , who happened to be sly, even asked, "what took you so long?"    I am extremely grateful to all of you for your support.  As for Nick, although I am a HAPPILY married man, it was definitely  an ego boost when a nice looking woman tried to pick me up while I was jogging at the beach.  Thanks again guys!

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 11:33:13 PM »
Glad to hear you had some positive experiences!  So how is the wife liking your new look? You took a big step....it will take some getting used to...just like anything new.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 04:10:58 AM »

I hung out with a couple of friends today and they were very supportive and one , who happened to be sly, even asked, "what took you so long?"    

Told ya.   ;)