Author Topic: Excuses  (Read 12064 times)

Timbo1941

Re: Excuses
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 05:13:40 PM »
I'll add one: fear of the unknown.

For several months I had the 'itch' to shave my head along with the 'itch' to leave my career and start something new, but the fear of how other people would respond to my new image, appearance and career was stronger than the itch.

I can control how other people respond to me with the image I have because it is familiar and sends messages that are familar too. The fear of losing that was very strong. I have no idea how they will respond to the new self. I can't control that.

But then the 'itch' began to take over and finally the balance shifted - so that now I am more worried about staying in my old routine! That was when I took the new job and started seriously considering getting rid of my hair.

And it did take some time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:16:08 PM by Timbo1941 »

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
For a guy trying to find the courage because I am slowly losing hair

I can relate to number one plus these are my list of additions

- The fear of being the butt of jokes by family and friends
- Being single can I pull it off and will I find that special someone
- I have a hair transplant scar I will look like a freak

I also believe the biggest one was the first one. Plus I am only 33 its almost the fear of shaving my head for the next fifty years (if I last that long) as I dont see many guys my age with a clean head or not where I live and work

I see so many confident guys on here and I dont know how to break down the walls of my own psyche (I worry so much what other people think)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 07:16:18 PM »

I also believe the biggest one was the first one. Plus I am only 33 its almost the fear of shaving my head for the next fifty years (if I last that long) as I dont see many guys my age with a clean head or not where I live and work

I see so many confident guys on here and I dont know how to break down the walls of my own psyche (I worry so much what other people think)

People who care about you are never going to ridicule you.

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »

People who care about you are never going to ridicule you.

I know you are right and I expect the initial ribbing one might expect. Plus the query of the scar on my head will cause some anxiety

I have hid the hair loss well from everyone except one friend. I often feel the desire to talk to family and my best mate about it. I would love to shave it off and be free and to ride my motorcycle and live again. I need to get my head around it all... how long did it take everyone to take that next step... and did everyone recognise themselves in the mirror and was there any anxiety or remorse

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »
I have hid the hair loss well from everyone except one friend. I often feel the desire to talk to family and my best mate about it. I would love to shave it off and be free and to ride my motorcycle and live again. I need to get my head around it all... how long did it take everyone to take that next step... and did everyone recognise themselves in the mirror and was there any anxiety or remorse

You have to accept the fact that you have hidden your hair loss from no one--they just like you too much to mention what you've done.  Get shaved, get on the bike, live again.  It only takes about 20 minutes once you recognise that you are what's holding you back from living.  You can be free. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »
As with many other things that we're afraid of in this life, the anticipation of the event is far worse than the reality.  When it's all over, you'll be asking yourself what you were so afraid of.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »

You have to accept the fact that you have hidden your hair loss from no one--they just like you too much to mention what you've done. 

Very true.  I knew for years that my hair was going but I was convinced that it wasn't that noticeable to others (and for a while that was true).  But now I look back at old photos and wonder how I could ever have deluded myself.

I also remember one time, in my pre-sly days, getting involved in a conversation with a couple of co-workers.   One guy was a few years younger than me, with a full-blown horseshoe.  He made a comment about "us bald guys" -- referring to himself and me -- and I was really mortified to be considered in the bald category.  I think that was the first time I had confirmation that my secret wasn't such a secret any more. 

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
Once again you guys speak the truth

I often stand in front of the mirror and try and see myself with sweet 0 hair however everyone tells me you cannot tell at all until you do it

Why am I so scared! Actually I do know its my internal demons dreaming up bad thoughts. Plus this scar guys I am still trying to bust out of the depression stage and get onto the acceptance stage but I am getting there

Offline JBGood

• Say NO to the horseshoe and combover!
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »

I often stand in front of the mirror and try and see myself with sweet 0 hair however everyone tells me you cannot tell at all until you do it

Why am I so scared! Actually I do know its my internal demons dreaming up bad thoughts. Plus this scar guys I am still trying to bust out of the depression stage and get onto the acceptance stage but I am getting there

Nate keep trying to deal with your issues bro! You can do it!  O0

Let me tell you I deal with depression/anxiety everyday still, but, by gosh nobody is going to keep me from shaving my hair! .... scar or no scar, implants, big dumbo ears, or big cone shaped skull. :Xo!

About the mirror part: Honestly, sometimes I can't empathize with onthe fence member's apprehensions about going sly. It was so easy to me 11 years ago. And it's as mundane as brushing my teeth today. One day I was MPB and the next day I was Sly, simple as that. But that doesn't keep me from supporting you guys. It's all about your decision, if your being true to yourself, it's all good then.

I hope you can not let that negative internal thought "deter" that strong "sly" guy that's wanting to burst out.

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 11:23:59 PM »

Nate keep trying to deal with your issues bro! You can do it!  O0

I hope you can not let that negative internal thought "deter" that strong "sly" guy that's wanting to burst out.

Cheers mate. It is tough and I guess some people are affected with hair loss more so then others. Some just go fk it and flip it the bird. For me I think its due to my conservative upbringing thats what has seen this roller coaster ride of emotions this past 4-5 years. I am by no means bald but while I have coverage somewhat I want to buzz it off so low I can see my head shape and also maybe it will be passable... this way when mpb really takes over there is no big deal going sly as its less of a transition (again my conservatism coming out)

New Zealand says hello to everyone out there!

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 11:39:54 PM »
Cheers mate. It is tough and I guess some people are affected with hair loss more so then others. Some just go fk it and flip it the bird. For me I think its due to my conservative upbringing thats what has seen this roller coaster ride of emotions this past 4-5 years. I am by no means bald but while I have coverage somewhat I want to buzz it off so low I can see my head shape and also maybe it will be passable... this way when mpb really takes over there is no big deal going sly as its less of a transition (again my conservatism coming out)

New Zealand says hello to everyone out there!

You have been dealing with these emotions for 4-5 years. Take the plunge and shave it off and   A.) You realize you love the look and wish you had saved yourself the trouble years earlier or B.) You don't like it....and you grow your hair back out....which may take a couple of weeks.   Neither choice seems too bad compared to the 4-5 year rollercoaster you have been on.  As far as the scar, I truly believe you are making more of that than you need to. There are tons of scars on peoples heads from numerous things....fights, accidents, those damn kitchen cabinet doors!!, and yes from hair grafts. That scar doesnt make you who you are....but you can help make who you are by being a lot happier guy.  I for one am rooting for you!!

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 11:52:39 PM »
Cheers Rob

Thats the sort of thing I need to ram into my thick skull

I will get there I promise everyone... I just have to grow some balls

I am definitely moving out of the depression stage soon to be acceptance (if not now). I know what I gotta do. Im one of those guys that needs to obsess over something (like shaving head) and over a long time I will finally get sick of myself that I will do it

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 06:13:37 AM »
I I am by no means bald but while I have coverage

You're approaching and may have already gotten to a combover, w/o a picture it's hard to tell.  At combover time, your hair time is over--unless you want to look that way--I hated it, but to be honest it was about 7 months from the realization it had to go til it went-and I kick myself that I waited so long.  Don't make my mistake, don't regret waiting so long. 

Offline wetherb67

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 07:06:15 AM »
As with many other things that we're afraid of in this life, the anticipation of the event is far worse than the reality.  When it's all over, you'll be asking yourself what you were so afraid of.

Can't say it any better than that.  So true.  I think back about how much time I have spent worrying about things that never happened.  It's all about living in the moment and appreciating life.  And not letting what others think control your life and your actions.
Qualify to try new brands for free....
http://h5.sml360.com/-/2o9xe

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 02:40:54 PM »
I guess the biggest thing for me which is another issue is everyone says you dont recognise recognise yourself in the mirror and that scares me

Which is why I am trying to think about it so when I do it I will have no regrets

I would imagine everyone needs to be in the right frame of mind as I can imagine alot of guys outside of this forum who went sly who do not have the confidence to deal with it just yet might spiral downward into more depression

Not trying to be negative here just trying to put another spin on being mentally on top of your game before you do it or is it the complete opposite