Author Topic: Excuses  (Read 11995 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Excuses
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 02:51:15 PM »
I guess the biggest thing for me which is another issue is everyone says you dont recognise recognise yourself in the mirror and that scares me

COMPLETE OPPOSITE--the "Who's the dude in the mirror?" isn't frightening, actually when you see the new you there is almost an immediate relief of being rid of the dying mop and how nice you look--different, yes but very nice, you see the tan line a little different, and learn about the shadow, but that stuff goes away quickly.  What replaces it is a tremendous feeling of freedom, absolutely overwhelming sense that the chains are off, and within a very short time you realize you're looking for a reflective surface to see how great you look--really.  You find you hand going up to feel the soft smooth surface of your scalp--very reassuring.  No, as I posted on the other thread, the only thing you will regret is waiting so long to do it--that's it. 

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »
Can I just ask you saint and everyone here what age did you start balding and how long did it take you (along the balding path) to say enough is enough

When is that point of enjoy your hair until.... how far along if you can go back would you have shaved what is that point

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
Can I just ask you saint and everyone here what age did you start balding and how long did it take you (along the balding path) to say enough is enough

When is that point of enjoy your hair until.... how far along if you can go back would you have shaved what is that point
Oh, to my mind, I didn't think it started until my early 30's when my oldest daughter, about 3-4 said, "Look Mommy, Daddy's got a hole in his head!"  But, after I shaved, a friend, a very good friend and one the most long standing, said, "Well you were losing it in your 20's, but it wasn't really fast!"  Then, there were oblique comments by the barber--"This will make it look fuller."  I was in denial that it was bad, not withstanding having the shower clog w/ hair, etc. and I slipped into a combover and nearly into two hairlines.  I should have done it in my 40's, but I stuck with it until I was 61, just about 62.  I really could kick myself, my only excuse--it wasn't as acceptable in those days.  But, there are guys here who've been clean for 10 years or more and that tells me I didn't really face this down like I should have, and they are my heros regarding mpb.  If I wasn't such a cheap skate I might have done a toupee or even plugs--a saving grace I guess of being a tight-wad.  But, I am, as one guy I know who went sly in his early thirties said, an "Ambassador of Shaved Heads."  Like everyone here, and as you will soon find out, you only really regret not doing it sooner, that's the only thing that you regret ultimately.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 04:08:24 PM by saintc »

Offline JBGood

• Say NO to the horseshoe and combover!
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »

Sure Nate:

I started when I was about 19 with a bald spot started to show, and I got to where I couldn't grow my hair without it looking like a bowl. I started buzzing it around 25 and then around 32  1999,my nephew went Sly which only then it hit me: If I buzz I gotta clean all this hair up and I still have a patchy head left that shows I have a genetic defect. I was MPB one day and Sly the next.

I personally have never thought about I should've done it sooner. I just did it and moved forward. I skip that and am more analytical about why we men have this hair loss in the first place, and some men have a head full of hair all their life, and some slowly lose a little until they are old and gray. Hey if every man had this life would be a little easier wouldn't it?

I have heard that bald guys are more manly. I usually see guys with a head full of hair and I think of them as "girly" men, less testosterone than me.
I have no shortage of muscle tone for that matter. lol

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Guess everyone is different but I am pretty lean

Guys with bald heads and muscle tend to look really good or taller

5"8 and lean :S

Full of excuses

Going to talk to my best mate today I need to confide in someone for support (outside of this forum which has been fantastic over the past few days and I hope to continue to draw support from all the brave in here)

Offline JBGood

• Say NO to the horseshoe and combover!
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »
I really could kick myself, my only excuse--it wasn't as acceptable in those days.

@Saintc

I think by the time (1999) I went Sly it was close to when the popularity was on the rise.
Makes it easier this day and time for sure.

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 05:44:39 PM »
Alot of you guys look awesome. All I should say

Its that whole case of if I did it my head shape I would look like a tool. Looking in the mirror I really dont have the head shape its not slim and oval :(

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 07:06:18 PM »
Alot of you guys look awesome. All I should say

Its that whole case of if I did it my head shape I would look like a tool. Looking in the mirror I really dont have the head shape its not slim and oval :(

You're overthinking this, you want to do it, you itch to do it, just do it--tonight!  Really.

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »
I have a scar of war on my head :( I am super self conscious plus need to grow some thicker skin as I know I will get huge ribbing from my family

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »
I have a scar of war on my head :( I am super self conscious plus need to grow some thicker skin as I know I will get huge ribbing from my family
You are really doing everything we all have done, but at the end of the day--more probably the beginning of the day--you must try this.  You obviously want to so if you have a clipper, take the guard off, take it down the center clean everything off.  Then go for a long--20-30 minute walk or go to the gym--sweat it out a little.  Then, shower, shampoo, take a good lather, a new real--i.e. not a disposable blade, then down the center- take your time clean it up.  Then what--
?????????????????????????????????????????????????
Live free, it will be the best most liberating sensation of you life.  Just do it--you won't regret, we promise.  Start August 7, 2010 as a proud sly bald man, leave the small b balding you behind--get your life together--live. 

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
I honestly believe I wont not at the beginning get to a shave or not for a while

It will be more likely shave down to a 2 or 3 then get used to it then transition from there

I know this is holding onto false hope but I cannot help it... but I figure if these scientists figure out how to regrow hair naturally then that would be a bridge I might cross later. But no more invasive surgery for me

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:38 PM »
I guess the biggest thing for me which is another issue is everyone says you dont recognise recognise yourself in the mirror and that scares me

COMPLETE OPPOSITE--the "Who's the dude in the mirror?" isn't frightening, actually when you see the new you there is almost an immediate relief of being rid of the dying mop and how nice you look--different, yes but very nice, you see the tan line a little different, and learn about the shadow, but that stuff goes away quickly.  What replaces it is a tremendous feeling of freedom, absolutely overwhelming sense that the chains are off, and within a very short time you realize you're looking for a reflective surface to see how great you look--really.  You find you hand going up to feel the soft smooth surface of your scalp--very reassuring.  No, as I posted on the other thread, the only thing you will regret is waiting so long to do it--that's it. 

Exactly.  I can remember one time being in a store paying for my purchases and seeing a bald guy a short distance away and thinking, "Now there's a nice dome" before I realized that I was looking at a mirrored wall.   :D

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »
It honestly never ceases to amaze me how you guys embrace this look and move forward like a tidal wave

I am trying to break down my own barriers but its tough

Not that this is a pre-requisite but i am going to hit the gym and tone up and shape up. Unfortunately I am still a fence sitter but I am taking a few deep breathes and getting my head in order before taking that step into freedom

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 04:05:44 PM »
Not that this is a pre-requisite but i am going to hit the gym and tone up and shape up. Unfortunately I am still a fence sitter but I am taking a few deep breathes and getting my head in order before taking that step into freedom

That's a common phenom for guys going sly--it's sort of like they're reassessing their personal appearance and doing something that not only improves their appearance but is great for their overall health and happiness.  You're going to notice a lot of sly guys at the gym--they do seem to be a matched set.  I am never the only sly at my gym, no matter when I go.  There are usually 5 or 6 while I'm there.  Go for it---it will also ease a lot of your tension. 

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2010, 08:40:55 AM »
It honestly never ceases to amaze me how you guys embrace this look and move forward like a tidal wave

I am trying to break down my own barriers but its tough

Well once you do shave you might wonder what it was that worried you so much.