Author Topic: Help Guys!! --- When Religion and Personal Style Collide!!  (Read 9899 times)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Help Guys!! --- When Religion and Personal Style Collide!!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 09:18:03 PM »
Yeah, he might gore you with those horns!  :o

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 07:36:22 AM »
 O0 Dear Tribesman: I think you have made the right decision for two reasons: 1) it's time to 'do your own thing' despite parental/community disapprobation; and 2) most of the 613 laws in the OT do not--or should not--apply in this modern pluralistic culture. Love of one's neighbor and justice tromp all. You might want to read St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians on this point. Stay strong in your decision. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 10:20:10 AM »
Guys I wanted to shed some more light about my predicament I am pasting below the common question about why as a jewish man I am supposed to have side burns:

Question: Why do male Jews have to have sideburns?
Answer: The Torah says, "You shall not round off the peyos of your head" (Leviticus 19:27). The word peyos refers to sideburns -- i.e. the hair in front of the ears that extends to underneath the cheekbone which is level with the nose (Talmud - Makkot 20a). The Talmud explains that this law only applies to men, not to women.

Maimonides explains that the prohibition of “rounding” prohibits the removal of sideburns, by razor, tweezers or any other means. Though it is permitted to trim the sideburns, even very close to the skin, using scissors.

From a mystical perspective, peyos  otherwise known as sideburns separate between the front part of the brain which is used for abstract thought that can be used for holiness, and the back part of the brain that governs the body.

Yeah, that's totally scientific and reasonable. The magic power of hair!   :XX
I got no use for religion, myself. I refuse to be bullied by thousands year old edicts that are irrelvent today.
Spirituality is one thing, but organized religion..  well.. I'll stop here before I offend someone.
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 09:53:43 AM »
I agree with the professor....... great wisdom !!
BaldBill

Enter your email address: