Poll

Do you spend more on supplies to keep your Slyness then you spent on haircuts and Hair care products?

It cost me More to be Sly
15 (31.9%)
It cost me Less to be Sly
32 (68.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Cost of being Sly and maintaining Slyness VS Not being Sly.  (Read 9654 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Cost of being Sly and maintaining Slyness VS Not being Sly.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
Over the course of a year I probably spend about the same amount of money on grooming supplies as I did pre-sly. The savings, however, come in when one figures the number of shaves per week (about the same) but multiplied exponentially by the square inchage of shaving performed during each shave.
For example, I always had the goatee so that remains a constant.
Pre-sly I shaved only my cheeks and neck. I don't know the square inchage of those shaves. Suffice to say that when I went sly the square inchage of each shave increased by 4x-5x. Thus the cost of shaving, per square inch, decreased dramatically.
Advantage: SLY!
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »
Over the course of a year I probably spend about the same amount of money on grooming supplies as I did pre-sly. The savings, however, come in when one figures the number of shaves per week (about the same) but multiplied exponentially by the square inchage of shaving performed during each shave.
Pre-sly I shaved only my cheeks and neck. I don't know the square inchage of those shaves. Suffice to say that when I went sly the square inchage of each shave increased by 4x-5x. Thus the cost of shaving, per square inch, decreased dramatically.

Hmmm.  I never thought of it that way.  Wonder if my wife will buy it?  ;D

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »
For me about $300/month less to be sly.   I wore a hairpiece :-)    At one point I was suckered into the high end of the hair club options and was paying $700/month --

<--- Foolish   not any more!

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 09:05:23 PM »
For me about $300/month less to be sly.   I wore a hairpiece :-)    At one point I was suckered into the high end of the hair club options and was paying $700/month --

<--- Foolish   not any more!

That is a lot of pocket change. What are you doing with all the money you are saving by being Sly?
"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 10:38:17 PM »
If your hair is thinning and you've gotten to the point where it's buzzed very short, it can be cost prohibitive not to be sly.  Once you get down to a #2 or so, it needs to be done every two weeks, and once you get down to a #1 or less, it has to be done weekly.  If you're getting it done at a barbershop, it adds up quickly.  I was never happy with the outcome when I tried to do my own buzzcuts; there were always missed spots and keeping the neckline tidy was always problematic.

Being sly doesn't really cost me anything, aside from the extra shaving gel, razor blades and sunscreen that I go through.  The shaving gel lasts a long time, as does the sunscreen, and the cost of even the pricier razor blades is negligible compared to the cost of getting a haircut.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »

Hmmm.  I never thought of it that way.  Wonder if my wife will buy it?  ;D

How can she not? This is a sound economic argument.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »
before i needed haircuts every two/three weeks, 15-20 a pop. then add in another 15-17 a month for pomade.

so definitely cheaper to be sly i think now that i have a routine down and am not trying out different items.
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 10:05:58 AM »
Well I can see that I have a plan that will save me a ton. If I use the Custom Plus 3 blades in my HeadBlade and go through 4 cartridges in a month, that comes out to $4.97 and if I use the Suave Conditioner @ $1.78 for a 22.5 oz bottle that should last me at least 2 months, then the only other cost would be moisturizer and sun screen. I'm guessing that I can maintain the Sly look at the cost of around $9.00 a month. I may treat my self to some of the premium products, such as HeadSlick, from time to time just for fun.  O0

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 03:03:21 PM »
Looks like it cost less to be maintain the Sly look for the majority of us with 62.5% of us spending less and 37.5% spending more.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »
I took a look into this a while back.
Check it out....

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=4670.0

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
I took a look into this a while back.
Check it out....

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=4670.0

Good cost analysis. I can see that your prices reflect 2008 cost. You know head shaving has become more common and the price to shave has gone up because of it.

Offline BaldnBearded

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »
definitly costs more.I go through razors like crazy now,but it's worth it

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »
The bottom line is, being sly is priceless.  You can't put a price tag on something that  boosts your confidence level and helps you look and feel your best.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »
 O0 O0 O0  As usual, Razor X has it right and says it most effectively. Even if keeping sly cost more money--and I am convinced that it actually costs 60% to 80% less than maintaining hair--it so clearly outweighs all other alternatives that it is worth whatever it costs. Once they perfect laser/electrolysis many more guys will jump on the bandwagon and go sly for good. This will also provide the solution to the hated shadow, for which there is no quick, permanent treatment at present. The bald aesthetic will then come into its own. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 07:32:55 PM »
The bottom line is, being sly is priceless.  You can't put a price tag on something that  boosts your confidence level and helps you look and feel your best.
Exactly!  I guarantee I don't spend as much as a guy with hair.  And especially one that's holding on to a losing cause.  O0