Poll

Do you spend more on supplies to keep your Slyness then you spent on haircuts and Hair care products?

It cost me More to be Sly
15 (31.9%)
It cost me Less to be Sly
32 (68.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Cost of being Sly and maintaining Slyness VS Not being Sly.  (Read 9655 times)

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
I have noticed that there are many product options available to maintain the Sly look and have read some great reviews on these products. I can see that one could spend quite a bit of cash with all the products. Based on that and your on experience I made this poll.

I am trying to find out if you think you spend more or less on being Sly. I am referring to normal hair care that you spent on maintaining your hair before being Shy. for example, Haircuts, shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, hairspray, ect..  Compared to the additional cost of blades, scrubs, shaving creams, bandaids, sun screen, aftershave, ect... that goes along with being Sly.

Don't factor the cost of rugs and hair transplant surgery into the not being Sly cost. I am more concerned with the normal cost of maintaining hair vs the cost of maintaining being Sly.

"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
Re: Cost of being Sly and maintaining Slyness VS Not being Sly.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:41:04 AM »
Either I am reading the poll choices wrong or it costs more to be bald either way?  :o  LOL!

But to answer the question....I an only about 3 weeks in and have already spent more on shaving stuff than I used to (used to just clipper shave mt head)....but the time saved and the better look/feel is oh so worth it!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 02:59:08 AM »
poll choices fixed! lol sly is a little more expensive but so much better!!!!!!and there fore worth it!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 04:56:13 AM »
sly costs me more money than when I had hair, because I didn't cut my hair often and when i did I just used clippers on my own.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 05:35:59 AM »
Before going sly I always wore a high and tight horseshoe which required more maintenance than being sly.   I think I actually spend less now.  Besides, how can you put a price on SLY? ;D
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 06:17:14 AM »
Cost of one haircut/month plus tip to barber = enough money for Sly supplies for about six months, since I don't go for fancy lathers, scalp potions imported from Tahiti, or six-blade, proton-powered razors whose blade replacements come in little jewelry boxes.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:30:32 AM »
Well when I paid for haircuts it  was with hair but since I buzzed the last 6-7 years I would say being SLY. But I still say being SLY is cost effective!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:41:41 AM »
It costs me more to be sly, but I would go sly even if I had to pay 5 times as much I do now.   >:D

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 08:16:25 AM »
Hair cut at the "stylist" to max out the appearance of hair-or the delusion of same, $30 a pop, shampoos & conditioners to enhance "fullness" approximately $10 per month, spray to "lock" the do in every day, $5 a month--doesn't include damage to the ozone layer ;D.  I still had to buy shaving gel, blades, etc. Clearly I'm "ahead" in appearance and in $$$. 

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 08:55:39 AM »
I'm with Mike, I wasn't spend anything before I started shaving.  But if you would have caught me before I was just using clippers it would be a different story.  It was about 30-40 bucks a month when I was getting it cut.  Now I probably spend 5-10 bucks a month for the most part.  But of course I have to try all the new stuff and splurge here and there for stuff I really don't need.  It's my hobby  ;D

Offline baldtribesman

• Sly Jr.
  • R O C K in the USA rockin in the USA
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 09:10:01 AM »
My opinion is that at first yes you will spend more money, in the beginnning  you are in the experimental face, you experiment and try different products you are fine tuning your routine.   HOWEVER, once you get your routine down pat you will not spend a lot and after practicing your time to shave your dome and face will get faster and faster. 

For example in the beginnin I tried different shaving creams, foam, gel, lotion, and as you can see all those cost a lot of money but now i fine tuned to using gel, the bald guyz  gel, i first put on a few drops of king of shaves oil, then I put over that the gel, I am not spending a lot of money because i have a fixed regrimen that works for me.  you can get a lot of shaves out of the king of shaves oil, and the bald guyz always have product deals.

Bottom line - yes you spend money experimenting and then when you find something that works and also your manual dexterity becomes accustomed to shaving your head you will go from (for example theoretically) 1 hour to 45 minutes, then 30 minutes and then where I am at 15 to 10 minutes top, btw I am a shower shaver and the steam and the warm water really helps.

I hope this helps everybody is different I am just giving you a glimpse of my own experrience

good luck and welcome

Fred

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 09:22:26 AM »
Either I am reading the poll choices wrong or it costs more to be bald either way?  :o  LOL!

Good point, I changed the way the choices read. :)

Cost of one haircut/month plus tip to barber = enough money for Sly supplies for about six months, since I don't go for fancy lathers, scalp potions imported from Tahiti, or six-blade, proton-powered razors whose blade replacements come in little jewelry boxes.

I can see how it could be much cheaper to be Sly, if you just stick to the basics.

Hair cut at the "stylist" to max out the appearance of hair-or the delusion of same, $30 a pop, shampoos & conditioners to enhance "fullness" approximately $10 per month, spray to "lock" the do in every day, $5 a month--doesn't include damage to the ozone layer ;D.  I still had to buy shaving gel, blades, etc. Clearly I'm "ahead" in appearance and in $$$. 

Sounds like you are saving a lot, even though you have tons of different product that you use you still spend less.

I'm with Mike, I wasn't spend anything before I started shaving.  But if you would have caught me before I was just using clippers it would be a different story.  It was about 30-40 bucks a month when I was getting it cut.  Now I probably spend 5-10 bucks a month for the most part.  But of course I have to try all the new stuff and splurge here and there for stuff I really don't need.  It's my hobby  ;D

I had the impression that being Sly was like a hobby for you Gambrinus, lol. Thats a friggin great answer.

I changed the poll so that you can see the results without voting. We are at a tie at the moment

"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 11:56:52 AM »
I wasn't spending much on hair (haircut every 6 weeks = 10€, plus some shampoo), now sly it might be a little less but actually I don't really care. 8)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »
Far less.

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 01:37:20 PM »
A lot less to by SLY!