Author Topic: Tour de France 2010  (Read 2926 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Tour de France 2010
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:32:19 PM »
Any tour / pro cycling fans on here? It's been an exciting and crash-riddled 4 days of racing so far.

Who are yor favorites? What are your thoughts on this year's race so far?

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
Re: Tour de France 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:56:35 AM »
I have not seen the first bit of it this year. I guess it's sort of like golf. I like to play (ride) but never watch it on TV. The little 3-4 minute blurb on Sportscenter is all I know about it this time.  Do you think Lance will actually give it up?
- Eric W-

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:18:58 AM »
Do you think Lance will actually give it up?

It's too early to tell for sure, but he did lose some time to his main rival on stage three. However, the mountain stages start soon and that is when Lance may be able to make up some time. We'll see..... It would be nice to see him win on his final tour.

Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:19:54 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant...the retirement part.  I think it's too hard for a lot of the stars of any sport to actually walk away when the time comes. He may be another in a long line who change their mind.  ::)
- Eric W-

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 10:23:52 AM »
Lance has stated that this is his last tour.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:32:13 PM »
I don't like the Tour. Cycling may be the most corrupt sport this side of boxing.

A bunch of dopers, in tight shorts, riding bikes......... no thanks..... I think I'll watch the World Cup...... Oh wait... I don't like soccer either............
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline SultanofSwing86

• Sly
  • aha my razor
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 12:25:45 AM »
I really love the tour, watch it every summer. This years tour so far has been very eventful.

I'm rooting for Mark Cavendish and Bradley Wiggins. Though I used to go for Lance Armstrong back in the day when there were very few Brits and none challenging for the yellow jersey. So I am happy if the yellow jersey goes to Wiggins or Armstrong. Realistically though I think Contador is head and shoulders above all the others, especially in the mountains, but then you never know Andy Schleck could easily gain time on Contador in the mountains. But you can never really rule out Lance.......

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 07:42:06 AM »
A bunch of dopers, in tight shorts, riding bikes......... no thanks.....

I'll be the first to admit that there are some bad apples in the bunch. However the sport overall is getting cleaner and testing methods are getting better each year. It is getting harder and harder for the cheaters to hide.

I'm rooting for Mark Cavendish and Bradley Wiggins. Though I used to go for Lance Armstrong back in the day when there were very few Brits and none challenging for the yellow jersey. So I am happy if the yellow jersey goes to Wiggins or Armstrong. Realistically though I think Contador is head and shoulders above all the others, especially in the mountains, but then you never know Andy Schleck could easily gain time on Contador in the mountains. But you can never really rule out Lance.......

I agree on all points thought there is just something about Contador that I just don't like. He comes across as arrogant/cocky to me, but that's just my opinion. While I'd love to see Lance take yellow this year, I think this may be the year for Andy Schleck.

It will be interesting to see how the GC gets shuffled around a bit as the mountain stages are on the horizon.

Pshrynk

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:50:03 AM »
I don't like the Tour. Cycling may be the most corrupt sport this side of boxing.

A bunch of dopers, in tight shorts, riding bikes......... no thanks..... I think I'll watch the World Cup...... Oh wait... I don't like soccer either............

Performance enhancing drugs?   And this is different than other sports... how? 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »

Performance enhancing drugs?   And this is different than other sports... how? 

Well I never specifically mentioned PEDs but they are part of it. I think the body that runs the sport is also very corrupt.
We all know other sports have had problems with PEDs but the percentage in cycling appears to be much higher. Add that to the fact that it's just not a good spectator sport (IMO) and you don't have a product that appeals to the masses.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields