Author Topic: Beer Lovers  (Read 60475 times)

Offline texanron

• Sly
Re: Beer Lovers
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
I have tried the Yuengling and really enjoyed it. It sounds like I need to find some of this Abita brew to try out.

Mike, very few folks really enjoy beer the first time they try it. Just keep drinking till you do like it!

If I'm looking to go cheap I'll reach for some Lone Star. It's actually not to bad for the price.  

Schro, I've past up the Sierra Nevada a few times but if you really enjoy it I'll pick up a sixer and try it out.

Crazy Irish Celt, I do enjoy wheat beers, St.Arnold's Wheat, so if I can find Hoegaarden & Leinenkugel I'll try it out.

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 11:17:18 AM »
i enjoy:

guinness
harpoon ipa
widmer heffeweizen
sam adams and sam adams seasonals
carling
sierra nevada
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »
I can't believe that two of you guys actually mentioned Pabst Blue Ribbon. That stuff was crap 30 years ago and I'm betting, because I won't dare taste it (flashbacks you know), that it's still crap!! :*))

Back in my college days, we used to go to a dive that served Stroh's on tap -- anyone remember that beer?  I'm assuming it still must be around somewhere.  We actually liked it - something tells me I might not now.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »
I'm not sure if this topic has been addressed before but since its one of my favorite topics I figured we could see what types of beer we all enjoy.
Texas brews I enjoy include Real Ale Firemans 4, St. Arnold's Lawnmower and all things Shiner related.
If I can't find one of them I'll reach for Sam Adams. If it comes down to it I'll settle for a Budweiser. I will not drink a light beer under any circumstance.
Anybody know of any good micro breweries? St.Arnold's is one out of Houston. New Belgium Brewing out of Fort Collins, CO puts out a quality brew as well.

Being a proper Bostonian-in-exile, I like Sam Adams.  When I lived in Boston, I was a member of the local homebrew society.  Periodically we'd have our meetings at the Sam Adams brewery, which is neat.

In a few weeks, Brewfest will be occurring in Portland, OR.  I'm planning on attending.  I might even wear my kilt if I can get into it.
Attitude is everything!

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »
I can't believe that two of you guys actually mentioned Pabst Blue Ribbon. That stuff was crap 30 years ago and I'm betting, because I won't dare taste it (flashbacks you know), that it's still crap!! :*))

I'll tell ya what's nasty--Genny (Gennessee) Cream Ale.  My ex-wife's father used to drink that stuff like water when he was alive, and the locals call it River Piss!
Attitude is everything!

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »

Back in my college days, we used to go to a dive that served Stroh's on tap -- anyone remember that beer?  I'm assuming it still must be around somewhere.  We actually liked it - something tells me I might not now.

I think that it's still around.  Has anyone heard of "Narragansett"?  It was out of Rhode Island when I was a kid, but it's since disappeared.
Attitude is everything!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
Anybody ever try arrogant bastard? That stuff is hard to drink. Cool bottle though!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »
Anybody ever try arrogant bastard? That stuff is hard to drink. Cool bottle though!

My brother in law gave me a case of that for my birthday (don't know if he was trying to tell me something).
It's not bad. Not my favorite, but not bad.

Another couple of NorCal beers that I've always loved are Red Tail (Hopland Brewing Co) and Red Seal (Mendocino).

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:07 PM »
texanron: Great thread.  I'm surprised this topic hadn't come up sooner.

I guess I'm one of the younger guys responding so forgive my limited palette.  

My favorites are Stella Artois, Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Budweiser, Guinness, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, most varieties of Terrapin (their brewery is 30 min up the road from me!), some Sweetwater varieties, and most IPAs.  Only a few stouts have appealed to me so far.  Never afraid to try a new beer!

EDIT: Forgot Newcastle and *gasp* Natural Light (it left an impression on me in college)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:38:02 PM by BillOnBass »
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 08:47:40 AM »

Stroh's is still around! In my 20's I loved that crap.... I had a friend who's brother was a delivery man for Stroh's and he would sell it to us for $4 a case!!! I tried one a year or so back out of nostalgia. Tasted like Pabst!!!!  Yuck!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »
BEER!  YEAH!  As long as I can see through it! :D  I'll drink to that!!! `Dr!n# b!3r B33r
See, you drink the stuff that tastes good to ya, then, after the first few, you can drink just about any of 'em! :*)) :*))
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:37:05 PM by Nonick »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
heineken,  yuengling, blue moon, and my new favorite>>> sweetwater 420.  if U haven't tried out sweetwater 420.... U gotta try it atleast once.  it's a brewery based out in atlanta.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 11:23:21 PM »
After visiting Europe, I have to say I rarely drink US brewed beer anymore.  Though, there are some that I will buy.  Here's a list of my favorite imports and domestic beer:

Imports:

St Bernardus Apt 12 - Belgium
La Fin Du Monde Tripel - Belgium
Leffe Blonde - Belgium
Triple Karmelite - Belgium
Hitichino Lacto Stout - Japan

Domestic:
Left-hand Brewing Milk Stout
BJ's Porter
Deschuttes Brewery Black Butte Porter
Blue Moon
Negra Modelo Especial (Even if it's from Mexico it's still like a domestic)
Lost Coast Brewery Downtown Brown
Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale - If you're in Philly go to Monk's Cafe

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »
I drink Sam Adams, exclusively.
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 11:38:27 PM »
Good old Miller Lite is my beer of choice.  I truly like the taste of beer though and haven't really found one I didn't like