Author Topic: Did the deed, Bought a new computer--but, like the head--didn't tell the wife  (Read 5158 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
 :px :px :px :px :px :px :px :px

Thanks to the dumbest people I've ever had to deal with at the local UPS--computer was not delivered!  Three days, and they couldn't do it--the biggest cluster F I've ever witnessed, and remember that's comparing it to my government work. 
In the first part of the week I was told I'm being assigned to work in NY state for the March flood recovery.  So, it looks like this is probably not going to work, the equipment will be returned and I'll start from the beginning once I've finished up in NY.  Although I get to rotate back to NO twice a month, it's weekends, and UPS doesn't work weekends. 

Oh well, it wasn't meant to be. Next time I'll bite the bullet, go to Best Buy, and pay the premium just to avoid the trolls at UPS. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

Thanks to the dumbest people I've ever had to deal with at the local UPS--computer was not delivered!  Three days, and they couldn't do it--the biggest cluster F I've ever witnessed, and remember that's comparing it to my government work. 
In the first part of the week I was told I'm being assigned to work in NY state for the March flood recovery.  So, it looks like this is probably not going to work, the equipment will be returned and I'll start from the beginning once I've finished up in NY.  Although I get to rotate back to NO twice a month, it's weekends, and UPS doesn't work weekends. 

Oh well, it wasn't meant to be. Next time I'll bite the bullet, go to Best Buy, and pay the premium just to avoid the trolls at UPS. 

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.  Instead of going to Best Buy, though, I'd try to find a local shop that does repairs.   That's where I got my latest PC; they copied the old hard drive contents onto the new one for me and were able to answer all of my questions and give me support if anything went wrong.   

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.  Instead of going to Best Buy, though, I'd try to find a local shop that does repairs.   That's where I got my latest PC; they copied the old hard drive contents onto the new one for me and were able to answer all of my questions and give me support if anything went wrong.   

That's an idea.  Right now, I just want to forget the whole business, and never, but never hear UPS again. 

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
I think Dell sells the software and cable to transfer your old hard-drive.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Saint, can I hijack ur thread for a minute. My wife has a processor with boo-coup files in there that crashed and I was wondering how do I transfer the info from the old to the new. Thanks Saint.

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
I think Dell sells the software and cable to transfer your old hard-drive.

Mighty big of them (and Best Buy as well) to sell a cable that likely going to be used only one time in most cases...
MikeC

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
If I were you I'd take my old machine down to the nearest Apple Store and buy a Mac. They will transfer all your files and for $99 dollars more they will give you a year of great lessons so you can master all the great programs that come with a Mac.

It took me only a few weeks to get familiar with the bugger and now 4 years later I am happy as a clam. No viruses, better software and it's Office Documents are compatible with MS ones.
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
Saintc,

Last I read, i think you said you ditched the idea of a new computer because of a transfer and work assignment in NYC (if i remember reading correctly), but i saw an ad recently in NOLA's own "Gambit" from a company called "UPTOWN COMPUTERS."  They claim to specialize in being able to transfer data and files from any old computer system to a new one. Might be worth looking into if you still looking to get a new system and haven't found someone  (or some method) to get the files transferred you wanted to save from your old system.

-Cap'n Noodles-