Author Topic: Where are all the headbangers at?!?!  (Read 28610 times)

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
Re: Where are all the headbangers at?!?!
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »
To tell the truth, after their first couple of albums after count down to extinction I gave up trying to listen to them.  Marty left and they haven't been the same.  In my mind you just can't top this.

or especially this
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:10:58 PM by Gambrinus »

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »
To tell the truth, after their first couple of albums after count down to extinction I gave up trying to listen to them.  Marty left and they haven't been the same.  In my mind you just can't top this.

or especially this

I could agree with you but I thing Megadeth has one of the best guitarist around right now, Chris Broderick ( Nevermore ), here's my favorite Megadeth song without question.

BTW I think Marty is awesome...here he is playing with Kerry King  >:D

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:19:43 PM by RyanJP »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 09:43:20 PM »
"Angry Again" is probably my favorite Megadeth song.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 11:05:26 PM »
I saw a Slayer bumper sticker on a truck the other day. Are those guys still around? I remember them from back when I was a teenager. That was 20 years ago!
Yeah they are still around. I can't imagine why to me personally I don't think they are very talented.

There around because there Slayer, period.

Exactly Ryan, they never went away, and are still kickin' ass!. They've got a new album coming out, and are on tour with Megadeth and Testament. The American Carnage tour. I've been a fan since way back, and I like Mustaine and company as well. 

They actually played on the Jimmy Fallon late show last night, and they were awesome. Araya and the boys' still got it.  O0

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 08:00:28 AM »
Slayer is cool.  I saw King on That Metal Show not too long ago.  It's insane, how down to earth he is.  He's right about Mustaine.  If you watch him his fingers are going a hundred miles an hour and he's looking off into space.  He's one of the few people I've seen that can sing, play lead and never skip a beat  8)  Remember that with out Megadeth there would be no MTV news.  They have the most famous bass line that no one knew was theirs.  Ellefson is way under rated.

I miss Dimebag  :-[   Pantera has two of the best metal albums every ( Cowboys from Hell, and Vulgar Display of Power )  If you don't have them......GET THEM!

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »
"Angry Again" is probably my favorite Megadeth song.

No question a great song

I saw a Slayer bumper sticker on a truck the other day. Are those guys still around? I remember them from back when I was a teenager. That was 20 years ago!
Yeah they are still around. I can't imagine why to me personally I don't think they are very talented.

There around because there Slayer, period.

Exactly Ryan, they never went away, and are still kickin' ass!. They've got a new album coming out, and are on tour with Megadeth and Testament. The American Carnage tour. I've been a fan since way back, and I like Mustaine and company as well.  

They actually played on the Jimmy Fallon late show last night, and they were awesome. Araya and the boys' still got it.  O0

I love every Slayer album, period. You're not true to metal if you don't like or appreciate the importance that Slayer has provided for Metal, countless metal bands are exisiting today because of them....and the new Album "World Painted Blood" is just to awesome, the only other bands than I could ever think that can out-top them or play outplay them is Exodus, Testament and Overkill, live there all killer.

Slayer is cool.  I saw King on That Metal Show not too long ago.  It's insane, how down to earth he is.  He's right about Mustaine.  If you watch him his fingers are going a hundred miles an hour and he's looking off into space.  He's one of the few people I've seen that can sing, play lead and never skip a beat  8)  Remember that with out Megadeth there would be no MTV news.  They have the most famous bass line that no one knew was theirs.  Ellefson is way under rated.

I miss Dimebag  :-[   Pantera has two of the best metal albums every ( Cowboys from Hell, and Vulgar Display of Power )  If you don't have them......GET THEM!

It's funny that all the epic tracks that made Metallica famous where written by Mustaine....I'll take Megadeth any day of the week over Metallica.

We can't forget Anthrax !!!!

Offline Mike P.

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »
*raises hand*

I'm really big on old school heavy/thrash/death/grind/black metal. I've been listening to it since I was real young, about 6 or 7 years old!

Black Sabbath, Death, Gorguts, Grave, Overkill, Entombed, Frightmare, Hammer, Deceased, and Dark Angel are some of my favorites.

For any Black Sabbath fans here: What do you guys think of the albums without Ozzy and/or Dio? Personally, I love all of the other ones....especially the Tony Martin era. In fact, Headless Cross (1989) is my all-time favorite Sabbath album. It's flawless. Tony has such an incredible voice and range. The one they did with Ian Gillan (Born Again) is really good too. I have that one on vinyl.

Offline G

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly since 6/1/2012
    • The Philosophers' Stone
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm an old school metal fan. Grew up listening to Sabbath, Blue Cheer, Deep Purple. Thrash is my favorite sub-genre. Celtic Frost is my favorite. Alice Cooper fan as well. I also like punk..

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:44:07 PM by G »
Cogito, Ergo Sum

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 06:02:12 AM »
I really love sympthonic, goth, power, progressive, melo death, thrash, folk, celtic, viking, pagan, speed metal genres.

I really can't stand a lot of the Aussie hardcore... Although I am a fan of bands like 36 crazyfist and... there was another honest... hahaha!

As for metal bands, I absolutely love Disturbed (I know they are probably nu metal but I don't care lol), Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Amon Amarth, Dream Theater, Teramaze (If you like progressive metal get onto these guys, they are an amazing Aussie prog metal band. and I am not just saying that cos my mate plays drums for them... I am pretty sure their album is available worldwide on itunes or any decent metal retailer!), Children of Bodom (up until their latest album).

I love nothing more then getting to a local metal gig on a friday/saturday night no matter the genre though. just as long as I am supporting good local metal!

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »

I really can't stand a lot of the Aussie hardcore... Although I am a fan of bands like 36 crazyfist and... there was another honest... hahaha!

I believe 36 Crazyfists is originally from Alaska. Now based in Oregon, US. As far as Aussie metal bands go, I like Parkway Drive. Don't think I know of any others.. LOL.

On topic: I enjoy almost all kinds of music, but some of the heavier bands I like are: Sevendust; Killswitch Engage; Devin Townsend; Mushroomhead; Lamb of God; Every Time I Die; Kilgore; Pantera; Fear Factory; etc.
One metal album I think is quintessential is Vision of Disorder - Imprint. Doesn't matter what subgenre of metal one likes, it's simply an aggressive and noisy masterpiece. Still sounds amazing 14 years later.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 01:37:18 AM »
I knew someone was going to pick up on that lol, they are most certainly not Aussie hardcore lol. Parkway Drive are a bit of a joke in Australia...

You are ticking a lot of the boxes for good metal there too, I am going to have to look into this Vision of disorder - imprint, if it is that good!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
Not really my kind of music, although I've recently started listening to some goth stuff particularly Gary Numan and Alien Sex Fiend. (That really is the name of the group, I swear!)
Hair is over rated.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 02:44:54 AM »
Just youtubed Gary Numan and was amazed to see he was still producing music, I genuinely thought he was dead or something, the only song I had heard of his was "Cars". I also youtubed, "Alien Sex Fiend", and I'm quietly impressed. Neither bands are what I normally think of when I refer to Goth, but I normally listen to Metal/Hard Rock. Is Alien Sex Fiend an 80's band? They have that real 80's rock feel going on.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
Only fans of hardcore with a sense of humor need apply.  :D

"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
Just youtubed Gary Numan and was amazed to see he was still producing music, I genuinely thought he was dead or something, the only song I had heard of his was "Cars". I also youtubed, "Alien Sex Fiend", and I'm quietly impressed. Neither bands are what I normally think of when I refer to Goth, but I normally listen to Metal/Hard Rock. Is Alien Sex Fiend an 80's band? They have that real 80's rock feel going on.

I'm not really sure how long Alien Sex Fiend has been around. I've only been listening to them for a couple of years. And I agree with your assessment of Gary Numan. I've got about a dozen of his songs on my iPhone and not all of them fit the Goth perception. I think my 3 favorites are Absolution, Dead Heaven and Innocence Bleeding.
Hair is over rated.