Author Topic: people not liking my beard  (Read 7536 times)

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
Re: people not liking my beard
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 06:47:12 PM »
Boy, can I relate to you!  I'm 100% Middle Eastern, (Armenian), and go to an non-denominational church.  I was born in the States, and this woman at our church came up to me and told me that she's afraid of me because she's convinced that I'm a Middle Eastern terrorist!  She told me that I look like Saddam.  I told her that my relatives have been Christians for centuries, and that I am not a terrorist.  To this very day, she told me that I should trim my goat and that she'll ask me where my sheet is.  She'll even ask me if I've flown any planes into any buildings lately?  She's totally loopy!  I still have my goat.  I'm the one who has to live with it, and I like it.

by the way bubba, there is actually a very high population of armenians in syria. i have an aunt that is armenian and she speaks arabic and the armenian language.
[/quote]

My grandmother came to the US via Haleb, (Aleppo).  She spoke both Armenian and Turkish.  I was Antiochian (Eastern) Orthodox for many years, and know some liturgical Arabic.
Attitude is everything!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »
they keep nagging me and saying tht i look like a terrorist

Syrian sly, what does a terrorist look like?  

truthfully,a terrorist can look like anybody.

Thank you. 

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »
Don't worry about what other people think

Offline iangreenelee

• Howdy
  • Learning the way of Sly
  • Almost Sly
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »
most Christian men in the Bible had a beard... 8)

I had a neighbor who threatened to sue me all the time for little things.  To me, she was a terrorist!

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »
I can understand your problem I am of Lebanese decent myself so I am naturally a little darker skin tone than most people. My mother is Lebanese but my father is not. I have been told before when I grew my beard out a little that "all I needed was a towel on my head and I would look like a terrorist. So I would keep my beard very short and clean looking. I ended up shaving mainly because my wife didn't like it and well we all know the saying."If Momma ain't happy then nobody is happy."  :)  Wasn't really the look I wanted anyway I was just curious as to what it looked like.  :D

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 02:14:09 PM »
At the end of the day, it's what makes you happy that matters. It is truly unfortunate that people jump to conclusions based on how a person looks, or even how they speak.