Author Topic: Scalp pigmentation  (Read 42578 times)

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
Re: Scalp pigmentation
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »

Why am I mentioning this at all?  Because...in the case of the priest, he must have been uncomfortable with his appearance and the toupee made him (I'm assuming) feel better about himself.

The woman wore the makeup, perfume, etc, because obviously she also needed something to make herself feel better looking.

My point....if it makes you feel better, and you're not hurting anyone....then go for it and be happy.

Good main point -- the more people that are happy on planet earth the better it is for everyone.

That said, many people on this site have experienced the freedom of embracing their "defects" to find that they aren't "defects" at all but perhaps "assets". So, baldness in peoples' experience goes from being a defect to fix to being a route to a greater feeling of freedom. Others have called this being "free of the tyranny of hair". If only the priest and the made-up lady had been more accepting of themselves they might well have been even happier than they were and saved a packet of money.

I would like to see the maximum happiness for the maximum number of people and this can only happen if people are accepting of what they are. As my father said when I completely stuffed-up his hair cut once [lots of holes through to the scalp] "Don't worry about it -- no one cares what an old man's hair looks like". And I know that when I go into town today no one is going to give a stuff about my head whether shaved or not.

I'm not sure but I think that many people are just thinking about how they look -- poor buggers. What a burden to carry and what freedom and ease when this burden is dropped.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
Well said Gary! People's happiness is most important, but that being true happiness, not trying to fool yourself. If you have had this and it works for you then great, but I'd rather hear that you didn't feel the need.

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »
Alright Sly Guys I had the scalp pigmentation done. If any of you want to know the real deal about it, from cost to reactions I've gotten from friends/family/strangers to whatever, I'll tell you anything you want to know.

I can imagine if you work in an office or other close quarter then pretty soon some sharp-eyed person will see that you have pictures tattooed on your head. Then this would be mentioned to other workers there and pretty soon everyone will be checking very closely because of their incredulity about the procedure.

Then -- you will be famous. I reckon that you could get away with it whilst on the street and shopping etc but surely not at work unless you wear a hat. Why hasn't this happened yet?

Anyway, now that you have it let's hope that it remains a secret. Actually, it might make a good talking point at a party and be good for meeting new people if you don't mind showing them and then letting them touch it.

I reckon that my main problem would be the cost. What was the total cost?

Hey Gary,

The thing is, the tattoo mimics the appearance of a shaved head. They blend the 'dots' into your existing hair, so when you shave your head, it now looks like you have the 'shadow' on top and at the hairline, not just on the sides like bozo the clown. The dots are relatively the same size as the real 'dots' of your shaven hair follicles, so it's pretty hard to distinguish. Of course if you let your hair grow, everyone could see the difference and it would look ridiculous. I guess now if you put your eyeball a few inches from my head you could tell, but how many times has that happened at the office? If someone gets that close at the office I'm suing for workplace harassment. Also you have to know what you're looking for- and fter all, how many people have ever heard of such a things as tattooing your head? It sounds ridiculous. 99.999% of the world has never heard of this so would never think for a million years I have a tattoo on my head.

Honestly nobody I haven't told knows, but if everybody found out tomorrow, I don't think I'd give a rat's behind. I mean it would be like finding out someone you know has breast implants. It's not like that makes them a laughing stock or a pariah to be shunned (in most places).

Everyone's treatment costs different because how much hairloss you have coming in determines how long you have to sit in the chair and get tattooed. It cost me $3,500. I know it's a lot, but considering I haven't been to Supercuts in the last 20 years I've saved up. Also now i don't have to blow $$$ on Mach-3 blades because I can now cut my hair with a Remington R9 electric shaver ($15) every morning and go.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:31:23 AM by baldhog »

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 12:56:15 AM »
Alright Sly Guys I had the scalp pigmentation done. If any of you want to know the real deal about it, from cost to reactions I've gotten from friends/family/strangers to whatever, I'll tell you anything you want to know.

I can imagine if you work in an office or other close quarter then pretty soon some sharp-eyed person will see that you have pictures tattooed on your head. Then this would be mentioned to other workers there and pretty soon everyone will be checking very closely because of their incredulity about the procedure.

Then -- you will be famous. I reckon that you could get away with it whilst on the street and shopping etc but surely not at work unless you wear a hat. Why hasn't this happened yet?

The thing is, the tattoo mimics the appearance of a shaved head. They blend the 'dots' into your existing hair, so when you shave your head, it now looks like you have the 'shadow' on top and at the hairline, not just on the sides like bozo the clown. The dots are relatively the same size as the real 'dots' of your shaven hair follicles, so it's pretty hard to distinguish. I guess if you put your eyeball a few inches from my head you could tell, but how many times has that happened at the office? If someone gets that close at the office I'm suing for workplace harassment. Also you have to know what you're looking for- and fter all, how many people have ever heard of such a things as tattooing your head? It sounds ridiculous. 99.999% of the world has never heard of this so would never think for a million years I have a tattoo on my head.

Anyway, now that you have it let's hope that it remains a secret. Actually, it might make a good talking point at a party and be good for meeting new people if you don't mind showing them and then letting them touch it.

Honestly nobody knows, but if everybody found out tomorrow, I don't think I'd give a rat's ass. I mean it would be like finding out someone you know has breast implants. It's not like that makes them a laughing stock (in most places). Or if its a big deal to many people. And by the same token as not caring what people think, I don't care. I think I look better, so I'm rolling with that.

I reckon that my main problem would be the cost. What was the total cost? Everyone's treatment costs different because how much hairloss you have coming in determines how long you have to sit in the chair and get tattooed. It cost me $3,500. I know it's a lot, but considering I haven't been to Supercuts in the last 20 years I've saved up. Also now i don't have to blow $$$ on Mach-3 blades because I can now cut my hair with a Remington R9 electric shaver ($15) every morning and go.

That is very interesting -- I'm glad that you're happy and it's worked out for you. I like the breast implant analogy because if I found out that someone had those it would just be "so what". And if I found out that some bloke I knew had hair tattoos I reckon that I would probably have the same reaction. I would want to see it once and then quickly lose interest -- in fact if me or anyone else remained interested in it it would be odd.

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 01:47:52 AM »
Well said Gary! People's happiness is most important, but that being true happiness, not trying to fool yourself. If you have had this and it works for you then great, but I'd rather hear that you didn't feel the need.

Slyfive- I respect your opinion, but I'm not fooling myself: I know that I have a tattoo on my head- I was there when it got put on. And I also know I look way better with this tattoo to myself and to many other people. (No offense to anyone, myself included, but there's a reason there are virtually no newscasters or models or Presidents of the United States with male pattern baldness. The fact is people are shallow.) I feel better now when I look in the mirror. This head tattoo has made me truly happy. Real smile and everything.

Now I agree in that I wish nobody felt the need to adjust their appearance, because we are all perfect how we were created.  But everybody in the world takes steps to 'look better' to some degree, whether its ironing your clothes or dying your hair or using acne cream or getting dental braces or whitening your coffee stained ones or liposuction for your love handles or piercing your ears or tattooing the illusion of hair on your head, (or putting a hundred rings on your neck to make it longer) and the lines we draw on which are 'normal' and which are tell-tale signs you aren't truly happy with yourself are all subject to opinion, I think.

I do wish I was like you and didn't care if I had the appearance of a hairline or not though as I'd have saved some money.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:50:18 AM by baldhog »

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 02:57:26 AM »
Sorry Baldhog, my comment was not meant to offend, I'm sure it was very well thought out on your part. I think my comments are mainly to do with the permanence (Which is hilarious considering I'm heavily tattooed). I suppose if you think of it like any other kind of head tattoo then it makes plenty of sense. Different strokes for different folks! I really am glad it works for you.

benlen

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 08:46:02 AM »
baldhog, I think you're reacting a little defensively when you don't need to––I think SlyFive and myself are really more interested in assessing the pros and cons of a hair tattoo, not attacking you for your decision.

And since you're the resident expert on said tattoo in this thread, we're of course going to present hypothetical questions concerning the tattoo.

You don't have to defend your decision to tattoo you head to a bunch of guys on the internet :-p just sayin.

You got the tattoo, great! If it makes you feel better about your appearance, that's good too!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »
Thanks for being able to put it more eloquently Ben. We're all friends here Baldhog and no one is judging you, especially seeing as you have been friendly and understanding to a bunch of highly opinionated guys!

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks for being able to put it more eloquently Ben. We're all friends here Baldhog and no one is judging you, especially seeing as you have been friendly and understanding to a bunch of highly opinionated guys!
;)  That there is why we are Special.   O0 8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »

Now I agree in that I wish nobody felt the need to adjust their appearance, because we are all perfect how we were created.  But everybody in the world takes steps to 'look better' to some degree, whether its ironing your clothes or dying your hair or using acne cream or getting dental braces or whitening your coffee stained ones or liposuction for your love handles or piercing your ears or tattooing the illusion of hair on your head, (or putting a hundred rings on your neck to make it longer) and the lines we draw on which are 'normal' and which are tell-tale signs you aren't truly happy with yourself are all subject to opinion, I think.

The above is actually a good point -- something I was thinking about for a while. I was wondering how to counter it if it came up but -- I got nothing! I guess it's just a matter of degree -- we all do things to make us look better even if it's only to wear clean clothes or shave our heads. Not to mention scalp moisturisers etc..

Where each person draws the line [the degree line] is up to them.

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »
Sorry Baldhog, my comment was not meant to offend, I'm sure it was very well thought out on your part. I think my comments are mainly to do with the permanence (Which is hilarious considering I'm heavily tattooed). I suppose if you think of it like any other kind of head tattoo then it makes plenty of sense. Different strokes for different folks! I really am glad it works for you.

Hey no worries- sorry if I came back a little too aggressively! I appreciate you being a good guy.

Also it isn't really permanent. The ink goes halfway as deep as a traditional tattoo making laser removal relatively easy (as easy as having a laser shot at your head can be, of course :) . Also the sun will fade it over time, so either in about 5 years you get a touch-up, or you let it keep fading in which case it will appear you're losing your 'hair' all  over again and you'll soon be back to square one (albeit minus $3k!).

Hope everyone understands by no means am I trying to convince anyone to get this done. Just wanted to share my experience if anyone was curious because when I first heard about it, I went on the sly forum to see if anyone knew anything about it and there was no real info here other than the original posters saying it was ridiculous and you'd have to be a pitiful idiot to consider it.

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »
baldhog, I think you're reacting a little defensively when you don't need to––I think SlyFive and myself are really more interested in assessing the pros and cons of a hair tattoo, not attacking you for your decision.

And since you're the resident expert on said tattoo in this thread, we're of course going to present hypothetical questions concerning the tattoo.

You don't have to defend your decision to tattoo you head to a bunch of guys on the internet :-p just sayin.

You got the tattoo, great! If it makes you feel better about your appearance, that's good too!

Agree on all points Benlen- sorry to all if I came off as super aggro Internet guy.  :Xo! (I hate that guy!)

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2013, 11:39:29 PM »
That's really interesting, I didn't know that the depth was different, that would allow for 'easier' removal (owwww lasers!).

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2013, 11:42:22 PM »
Would you be game to show a photo?

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
 O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Enter your email address: