Author Topic: Scalp pigmentation  (Read 42427 times)

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
Re: Scalp pigmentation
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »
Here's a youtube clip of guys who've done it.

My concern is it will look stupid and then I'll be stuck as it doesn't appear to be reversible.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »
In the UK they have a company called HIS Hair Studio which does this. Have to admit I was tempted, but then I read the bogs on their site and a lot of guys were having rough times with it fading and having to have multiple sessions, or it looked a bit odd.

Im not convinced!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »
The guys in that video look awful, no one's hairline is that straight.

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »
Alright Sly Guys I had the scalp pigmentation done. If any of you want to know the real deal about it, from cost to reactions I've gotten from friends/family/strangers to whatever, I'll tell you anything you want to know.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »
Im intrigued! tell us your story

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 01:59:58 PM »
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »
I like being 'sly'. It suits my style, it's easier to take care of than a hair do, etc. Even if I didn't have male patterned baldness I would shave my head. What I always hated was the shadow- it made me look old. Made my forehead look huge. In dim lighting or at night I didn't care so much because it wasn't noticeable. I looked into lasering my sides off but didn't go through with it.

Anyway I checked out this company HIS, went on their forum, linked up with a few guys who had already had the procedure done and after seeing them in person and getting their enthusiastic endorsements I decided to go for it. On the one hand I know I should just be a man, be happy with how I am, but on the other hand my buddy just got his crooked teeth capped and now they're all straight and white (and he looks great and is happy) and another friend got gastric bypass and now he's not fat anymore (and he's happy) so I said 'what the heck'.

Had it done and my only regret is I didn't get it done sooner. Now it looks like I shave my head by choice, not because I have to. For the first time in years, my face is framed with a hairline so I look better. Nobody from strangers to friends to family has any idea I had anything done. My sister and mother both said "Hey, I thought you didn't have any hair on top?" I replied with "I used to shave with a razor, now I started using clippers" and the conversation moved on to something else. That was it.

As far as the future goes, it can be removed with a laser fairly easily, although I can't imagine a reason to do that. I know some guys on here mentioned what happens when you go grey, but all the ink they use is shades of grey since all hair looks greyish when it's shaved, so that's not going to be an issue.

So that's that. I thought I'd share my experience because so many sly guys on here ridiculed the procedure- I'll admit, when I first heard about it my first reaction was it sounded silly too- and it's actually a viable option. Of course its not for everybody, and so many sly guys are happy with what they have and that's great. I'm happy for you. But if you'd like the appearance of a hairline again, I'd suggest you at least research this procedure with an open mind.

I'll answer any specific questions you guys might have as well.

benlen

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:25 PM »
i don't get all the responses to this.

I think a lot of you are too into your "sly" and wanting other to be only "sly"

I agree. I think the response to stuff like this has been remarkably negative without a lot of guys on the site actually researching how this works and considering.

I think the hairlines that look unrealistic are more a reflection of what the customer chooses as opposed to what the company creates. If you look into HIS Hair Clinic enough, you'll see some guys making smarter decisions to get more "mature" hairlines that would look more realistic on a twenty-something to forty-something year old guy.

That said, as much as I like this idea as a cool solution to hair loss, there are problems. First, like a hair transplant, it is there for good. Second, its doing some serious work on your head, arguably the most valuable part of the body (okay, maybe the second ;) ).

Also, it appears that it requires many treatments and touchups over the years.

And it also presents bald guys with a strange dilemma. For one, if someone touches your head, they're going to feel the difference between the tattoo where there is little/no hair and the sides/back where there is hair. They'll be no fooling at that point.

And while it might allow you to avoid facing with friends and family the fact that you are balding and losing hair, it prevents you from facing that and moving on. With this tattoo, you'll be perpetually "living a lie" about yourself.

People will also probably say, "Hey, you've got a great hairline/full head of hair, why don't you grow it?" And what will you say? Eventually, the secret will come out.

This is, in the end, basically like fake boobs, except for dudes.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
I'm glad it worked out for you. Everyone should do what feels right for them.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 12:49:07 AM »
Benlen-

Great response. I laughed out loud at your boob job for dudes comment, imagining I now had a pair of fake tits on my head.

But you're 100% right. Like caps on your teeth or colored contact lenses or breast implants, (or a woman waxing her upper lip, sort of) its a lie. A cosmetic treatment to help you look better. Totally agree too that it won't help me face facts and get over my baldness, but I've been bald for 17 years and as much as I tried to convince others (and myself, frankly), I still hadn't gotten over it.

I can't remember the last time someone rubbed my head. But the next time they do, I'm guessing it will be an intimate situation at which point I can fess up and she can deal with it or not, kind of like a guy getting close with a woman who discovers she's got fake bombs. He might be turned off or he might not care.

As far as answering what I'll say when (and if) someone questions why I don't just grow my hair, I'll simply say I like this shaved head look better. I'm a former athlete and many of my friends shave their heads just because they want to, so that's a believable response.

Anyway I certainly respect your opinion and I'm definitely not trying to convince anyone to do this- just wanted to share my experience in case anyone wanted to know more about it from someone who'd done it.

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »
Thanks Frontier Guy. Now I only wish I had the guts to get that nose ring-- it looks badass :)

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 02:14:35 AM »
Alright Sly Guys I had the scalp pigmentation done. If any of you want to know the real deal about it, from cost to reactions I've gotten from friends/family/strangers to whatever, I'll tell you anything you want to know.

I can imagine if you work in an office or other close quarter then pretty soon some sharp-eyed person will see that you have pictures tattooed on your head. Then this would be mentioned to other workers there and pretty soon everyone will be checking very closely because of their incredulity about the procedure.

Then -- you will be famous. I reckon that you could get away with it whilst on the street and shopping etc but surely not at work unless you wear a hat. Why hasn't this happened yet?

Anyway, now that you have it let's hope that it remains a secret. Actually, it might make a good talking point at a party and be good for meeting new people if you don't mind showing them and then letting them touch it.

I reckon that my main problem would be the cost. What was the total cost?

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 03:42:51 AM »
That whole thing ad's up to what makes it harder for everyone who's going bald to find freedom and acceptance about it. For me this goes in the same category like rugs drugs and what not. Male Pattern Baldness is an age old thing and yet it still seems to be one of the biggest issues of manhood. It just should be just different nowadays.

If someone wants to be proud of a bald head to deal with it, that should be fine, as it is fine for everyone else to choose another route to deal with it.

For me there is no way that i would follow something what  (metaphoric)  a high gloss magazine draws as a perfect picture of a mans appearance triggered by an industry that wants my hard earned money to spent on stuff that just don't change anything. I loose my hair, i have a fat belly, big feet and an ugly nose. That's what mother nature made out of me and i can't hide that facts to my self.  That leads to : Acceptance is the Key. (I have not said it is easy)

Besides of all that, I have respect all other opinions.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
Thanks for the account, interesting (any photos?) At the end of the day (God! I HATE that phrase!) whatever makes people feel better about themselves is fine. Wether that is the lady who gets bigger boobs or a nose job, wears hair extentions, or the guy who (like me for years) goes down the hair system route.

It does appear extreme and unlike a system, once it's done it's done. Some on that site look better than others. I agree with what others have said about the choices the client makes about the hairline.

Different Strokes for Different Folks! Wouldn't do if we were all the same!

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »
There was a woman I worked with, many years ago who would comment on a particular local priest whenever she could, because he wore a toupee...and she would ALWAYS comment on how vain he was and how a priest wearing a toupee was completely wrong, and he should be ashamed of himself.....you get the idea.

This was a woman who used more hairspray and makeup than anyone else I had ever known (personally).  She wore a lot of rouge (sp?) and actually penciled her eyebrows, wore lots of mascara, etc....  Don't get me wrong....it wasn't a "clownish" appearance....but I always used to think it was interesting that she called someone else vain for wearing a simple toupee.

Why am I mentioning this at all?  Because...in the case of the priest, he must have been uncomfortable with his appearance and the toupee made him (I'm assuming) feel better about himself.

The woman wore the makeup, perfume, etc, because obviously she also needed something to make herself feel better looking.

Neither were hurting anyone with their appearance. (I think her constant talk about it was a little hurtful...but I'm not going for that at the moment.. ;)  )

My point....if it makes you feel better, and you're not hurting anyone....then go for it and be happy.

My concerns with the scalp pigmentation are 1) Long term "effects'....what's it going to look like in 20 years? and (2)  The video clips I watched, honestly looked pretty bad to me.  And if they are advertising their BEST work...what do the ones that didn't come out quite as "good" look like?   Mainly the hairline, I mean.....they're too "solid"  I've never seen any real hairline like those.