Author Topic: Crime Dramas on TV  (Read 1662 times)

GASlick

Crime Dramas on TV
« on: May 27, 2010, 05:00:45 AM »
I have been a big fan of Criminal Minds since the very beginning.  I also enjoy all the CSI's, NCIS, etc.  After watching the season finales the last few nights, it occurred to me that these shows seem to be getting more and more graphic.  Not that I'm offended, I do work in healthcare and have pretty much seen it all. Gore doesn't bother me.

I seem to be more affected by the human brutality portrayed on TV.  The sort of stuff that used to be rated R at the theaters is now being played out on prime time TV.  Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Offline foodfor4

• Sly Jr.
Re: Crime Dramas on TV
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 05:52:26 AM »
Good thought, I completely agree with you and remember watching Law and order (before the other 20 Law and orders came out!) with my parents after dinner when I was ten and now while Law and orders level of blood has not seem to risen that much the content has definitly changed to being more taboo and gruesome in some cases. I doubt my parents would be watching it with me if I was ten now.
Criminal minds does remind me of a film that would have been R rated in the past and I think it is a good show with a well developed story. I think they go a bit far as far as brutality of the crimes depicted, but they do it safely and don't cross the line. Of course my parents would NEVER had watched this with me as a kid. They certainly know what to do and what not to do to put themselves into the spot light. I think parents must be strongly advised not to allow their children under 14 to see ciminal minds, but there is no reason to take the show off the air.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »
Yes, I have noticed that. Shows like Bones et al seem to be trying to outdo themselves re grossness.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:25:02 PM »
Yes, I have noticed that. Shows like Bones et al seem to be trying to outdo themselves re grossness.

Yes , Tom that's exactly what I've been thinking.
But I seldom watch them, although my wife does.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:30:22 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »
I agree.  My oldest son (9) is into forensics and being in the FBI.  But I have had to quit letting him watch CSI shows because of the gore.

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:22:32 AM »
I have been a big fan of Criminal Minds since the very beginning.  I also enjoy all the CSI's, NCIS, etc.  After watching the season finales the last few nights, it occurred to me that these shows seem to be getting more and more graphic.  Not that I'm offended, I do work in healthcare and have pretty much seen it all. Gore doesn't bother me.

I seem to be more affected by the human brutality portrayed on TV.  The sort of stuff that used to be rated R at the theaters is now being played out on prime time TV.  Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

I totally agree with your observation.
Attitude is everything!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 04:59:57 AM »
Criminal Minds is my favorite shoow but I don't let the kids watch it.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Criminal Minds is my favorite shoow but I don't let the kids watch it.

Awesome show.