Confidence and Success > How To Be Successful

dress anxities - also fashion challenged

(1/5) > >>

fcb2001:
Iam working on getting my school teachers license my plans are to be a school librarian, i have to get my elementary school teacher license and then my secondary teachers license, i have to get my behavioral sciences degree i have to get first which will be completed in 2014, i will be getting my liberal arts degreee this month, when i do my professional deveolpment classes, when i do this work, i will have to wear a suit, i get horrible anxities whenever i have to dress real nice, the most formal wear that i prefer to wear is a tunic style suit that Nehru wore in India(it is called the Sun Yat sen suit,or the Nehru jacket and i will wear timberlands),
 I prefer to wear either a soccer or a hockey jersey  and baggy shorts and birkenstocks, whenever i have to dress nicer i wear a golf shirt, jeans and cowboy boots.
iam sort of upset that i live in a laid back state and i have to wear a shirt and tie, and a nice sport coat while iam in the Professional Development Portion of my schooling, i just have horrible anxities and i get scared and nervous when people say that i look nice in a suit and my feelings are hurt whenever i get compliments that i look nice dressed up, the suit doesnt fit my personality, I just have this horrible fear that needs to be overcome, but i have no idea on how to conquer and overcome this fear, and i want to overcome it but i have no idea on how to do itplus am fashion challenged, i have no idea of what works and what to match, i was born in Canada and i prefer to dress laid back and informal, i just hate formal stuff and i get horrible anxities whenever i have formals to do or dree up for formal functions, and i have a horrible sense of fashion and i have no clue what is popular or not. My shirts and ties were chosen by other people, i just gave someone money and told them to get me a nice shirt and tie and sports jacket and that iam fashion Challeneged

(|8-):
Good luck with school!

I used to have a job where I had to wear a suit & tie.  It really is the easiest thing to wear--the only thing easier would be a uniform.  It is designed for the fashion challenged.  Once you have a friend pick out a couple of suits and some ties, there is nothing else to really think about in the morning.  You could even have someone plan out your tie/suit/shirt combinations and just pick one every morning.  If you stick with white shirts, which are always acceptable, then your work is even simpler.  Except for some extremes, men's suits aren't as subject to fashion whims as other stuff you could wear.

Suits are not meant to show your personality.  They are meant to relieve you from having to think about how to express yourself.  They are also meant to relieve other people from having to make judgments about you because of your clothing.  It's supposed to be a boring, neutral way to dress that puts you in a role for the job you are doing.

TheSlyBear:

--- Quote ---my feelings are hurt whenever i get compliments that i look nice dressed up
--- End quote ---
Dude, that's kinda messed up.

You're a good-looking guy and have lost some weight (a noted in other topics), so use that to your advantage. If you look good dressed up, that's an asset not a liability.

D.A.L.U.I.:
The Brothers are giving you very well tailored advice.  And, from someone who's had to put a tie on since high school, I think you're building this up from the literal more hill to a mountain.  Now, like most I take the "heavy duties" off right after work, but at work, why not.  And, this is strange, you do get a better response in the business setting if you're dressed for it. 

Pshrynk:
Check out www.askandyaboutclothes.com

It sounds to me like you need to just wear it and get used to it -- then you won't even realize what you're wearing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version