Author Topic: how did nobody say anything to me about the rug????  (Read 9152 times)

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
Re: how did nobody say anything to me about the rug????
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »
I think now about men who go 20, 30, 40, even 50 years wearing a toupee and I just can't believe that they can do it. It is the most horribly uncomfortable thing imaginable. I'm not saying that a guy who wears a toupee is any less of a man, but its just awful that we are so strongly conditioned to loathe our own baldness that some men go their whole lives trapped under a rug.
A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 10:44:43 AM »
The sales tactics of rug merchants certainly are suspect.  However there's real hope we're putting all this hair=good crap behind us.  Note the following:

Toupees seem to be on the decline: These are excerpts from the Wikipedia site:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toup%C3%A9e

Toupée manufacturers' financial results indicate that toupée use is an overall decline, due in part to alternative methods for dealing with baldness, and to greater cultural acceptance of the condition.

Other trends leading to the decline in toupée use include a rise in acceptance of baldness by those men afflicted with it. Short haircuts, in fashion since the 1990s, have tended to minimize the appearance of baldness, and many balding men choose to shave their heads entirely - a trend sparked in part by famous male pattern baldness sufferer Michael Jordan.

And of course, they are a source of humor:
 The toupée is a regular butt of jokes in many media, with a typical toupée joke focusing on the wearer's inability to recognize how ineffective the toupée is in concealing his baldness. An early instance of "toupée humor" was an illustration by George Cruikshank in "The Comic Almanack" in 1837, in which he drew the effect of a strong wind, with a man's toupée whipped from his head.[20]

In the 20th century, toupées were a source of humour in virtually all forms of media, including cartoons, films, radio and television. In the 21st century, toupées continue to be a source for humor, with a variety of internet sites devoted to toupées, with a special emphasis on suspected celebrity hairpiece wearers.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »
You didn't look bad with the rug (but of course, you look much better now!). Now and then you'll see some guys with rugs that are more than obvious. Those types, I cannot understand.
People didn't say anything to you either because they didn't notice, or they cared about how you feel about yourself. Both good things!
Not that it needs to be said at this point, but you are much better off without it. You made the right choice.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »

After my father told me that I was a "f***ing idiot" for shaving my head I told him that I couldn't take wearing that damn hair piece anymore. I swear he looked me right in the eyes and said "what hair piece?". I've told a bunch of people whom I hadn't before since yanking it, and most didn't believe me. I don't say that as a good thing. The reason very few people knew was that I would spend hours and hours and hours getting it just "right". It was a horrible obsession. I also spent quite a bit of money on high end toupees. I mean a lot of money. Nonetheless, it always looked like a ridiculous joke to me except for maybe one or two days/ month. I will say that on those days I suddenly became the most self confident man alive. Ridiculous! How can one's self worth be predicated on whether or not one has hair?

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
lol... been running into you a lot today,,,
I was the same. Then 15 yrs ago (drunk) I dared a friend to shave his head, and he did, then wanted to take to buzzer to me... not knowing it was a rug, not only that BUT glued on..!.. I agreed to do it myself and went to bathroom and freed myself. Sly ever since. I thought maybe he knew. But once in a while he would ask when am I going to let it grow back in. Back then when buzzed it looked kinda full.

I have a few pic with it and they look good. Even my wife would comment and say WOW you looked different with your hair.. (if she only knew).. lol

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »
That's a great story. It is amazing how oblivious some people can be. I was sitting in a meeting last year and a female colleague was staring at the sides of my hair, right where the rug "blended" in with my own hair and she says "Uh oh! I know your secret." My heart dropped. "I can see those greys". I almost blurted out "are you f#%ing kidding me????". Anyway, to have gotten to that point I had probably spent two hours the night before fussing with it and another hour that morning. If there were a world record for time spent fussing with a hair piece I would be right up there.
lol... been running into you a lot today,,,
I was the same. Then 15 yrs ago (drunk) I dared a friend to shave his head, and he did, then wanted to take to buzzer to me... not knowing it was a rug, not only that BUT glued on..!.. I agreed to do it myself and went to bathroom and freed myself. Sly ever since. I thought maybe he knew. But once in a while he would ask when am I going to let it grow back in. Back then when buzzed it looked kinda full.

I have a few pic with it and they look good. Even my wife would comment and say WOW you looked different with your hair.. (if she only knew).. lol

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 09:44:38 PM »

I was sitting in a meeting last year and a female colleague was staring at the sides of my hair, right where the rug "blended" in with my own hair and she says "Uh oh! I know your secret." My heart dropped. "I can see those greys". I almost blurted out "are you f#%ing kidding me????".

To me, that would be the worst part about wearing a rug -- the constant fear of someone finding out and the always wondering if they knew but were just too polite to say anything. 

BaldBradley

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »
I live in Washington State and we get a lot of wind storms, I think you all know where I'm going...

Yeah I would be worried of bending over, jumping, wind, sweating, the hair piece getting fleas from animals lol. I could never have a rug after going sly.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »
IT IS (was) a 24/7 stress... I must admit, I was (prob still am) a bit vain regarding looks. So like Jack21 spent hours getting it right. (not calling you vain Jack, lol,, I think we all want to look good) I't almost as you become obsessed with it and paranoid that everyone is looking at it. And since some people don't know, it's a killer when they start talking about hair styles. You change the subject ASAP. And some FOOLS (I was the real fool) would even try to fix it because they saw something a bit off.. talk about your heart dropping to the ground. You become a Ninja with the moves you do..

I remember going to a water park and with a girl I was dating and her getting pissed I wldn't go on some of the rides. (I don't think she new) & I would blame it on my eyes or something. I don't think she knew because she would grab it during (you know) and being the horn dog I was, I was well, if she pops it off, oh well... but I gotta finish... lol...  then came the showers... I would to turn off all the lights and put on 1 or 2 candles, (lol I was such a romantic.. BULL SH!+, I didn't what them to see anything)... not sleep the entire night, then get up first and get that hair done. When I think of it, I was such an a$$.. I would rather tell her I was taking a bad crap then let her know...  Or I'd have a hat on night stand and it went on as soon as I heard a noise. And get her back home asap... Look at all that morning tail I lost due to that stupid thing lol... life is crazy...

I got a million stories about that stupid thing that are funny as hell now... but believe me, at the time they were torturous.