Author Topic: Review: Damn Handsome Grooming Company - Scotch Ale Shaving Soap  (Read 3018 times)

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
OK.. this is my first shaving related review so bear with me.  I've done tons of tech/computer reviews so...

I found these guys at my local farmers market.  They are are based in Kalamazoo, MI but looks like they will ship where ever.  I don't know about international.

I bought the Scotch Ale Shaving Soap.  I'd never used shaving soap before but from all the info on this site I pretty much knew what to look for.  I'm using a typical 1- 5 rating system.  1 = poor, 5 = Excellent.  SO here goes:

Scent - 3.  Smelled great but very faint and light and seemed to fade quickly.  Overtones of spice, wood, and yes beer.  Also had some faint tobacco elements..

Lather - 4.  I thought it lathered up rather easily.  I was prepared to do some serious twirling but it came pretty easy.  Not a super thick lather but a nice smooth feeling one. Goes on easy and the blade glides thru it well.  Got a really close shave using it.

Quality - 4 - Again, I don't have much experience with shaving soaps but this seemed good quality.  It wasn't mushy but wasn't super hard.  It was a tad softer than a typical bar of regular soap.  And it is made from all natural ingredients.. no chemicals.  Did I mention it has beer in it? LOL

Price - 5 - the price was $6 which is cheaper than their website price.  Might have been a farmers market special...

Over all I give this product a thumbs up!  I would recommend giving it a try....

http://www.damnhandsomegroomingco.com/products/scotch-ale-face-shave-soap

** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
Re: Review: Damn Handsome Grooming Company - Scotch Ale Shaving Soap
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:28:57 AM »
Great review!!  Thanks for posting it up.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »
Thanks!  I like doing reviews so look for more to come!  8)
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline tartanraven

• Haggis Hunter
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »
good review!  Sounds like it may be tallow based.  Triple milled soaps are quite hard.  Also keep in mind that the quantity of lather is secondary to the slickness of the lather.  I think I'll check this one out
Deus Meus Et Omnia