Author Topic: NY Times Head Shaving Article  (Read 10885 times)

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
Re: NY Times Head Shaving Article
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 04:59:45 AM »
Great article, Tyler. O0

RoachX

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »
“If you get to the point where you’re shaving your head,” he said, “you’ve gotten to the point where you don’t give a damn.”

Love that quote.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »
Yeah, that is a great line!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 10:15:22 PM »
Hey does anyone know anything about this Magic Shave stuff by L'Oreal that they mentioned?  I Googled but nothing usefull came up.

I actually tried it Shiny,  smells bad, doesn't remove all hair and left chemical irritatioon.  Labeling on the stuff I had said formulated for black men so that may be the reason.  But I definitely wouldn't use it again. 

Yeah, don't do it.  I got a very nasty burn from that stuff - just two days before I started a new job.  Talk about embarrassing - having to start a new job and meeting new people with this huge scab the size of a quarter right on the top of your head.  It's probably because I have very fair skin and this was designed for black men, whose skin can probably better withstand a litte abuse from a depilatory chemical.

Even if you don't burn yourself with it, one application doesn't remove all the hair, and you have to wait something like 48 hours before you can reapply it or shave or tweeze the rest of the hair.  It also grows back just as quickly as shaved hair does, so there is no real advantage to using it.

Oh, yes -- it also smells really bad.

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 08:09:42 AM »
Hey does anyone know anything about this Magic Shave stuff by L'Oreal that they mentioned?  I Googled but nothing usefull came up.

I actually tried it Shiny,  smells bad, doesn't remove all hair and left chemical irritatioon.  Labeling on the stuff I had said formulated for black men so that may be the reason.  But I definitely wouldn't use it again. 

Yeah, don't do it.  I got a very nasty burn from that stuff - just two days before I started a new job.  Talk about embarrassing - having to start a new job and meeting new people with this huge scab the size of a quarter right on the top of your head.  It's probably because I have very fair skin and this was designed for black men, whose skin can probably better withstand a litte abuse from a depilatory chemical.

Even if you don't burn yourself with it, one application doesn't remove all the hair, and you have to wait something like 48 hours before you can reapply it or shave or tweeze the rest of the hair.  It also grows back just as quickly as shaved hair does, so there is no real advantage to using it.

Oh, yes -- it also smells really bad.

Let me make sure I've got this right....  It literally BURNS your scalp, does NOT remove all the hair, regrowth is just as fast as shaving AND it smells bad.    :-\  IS there a downside?   $c#m 
D#tG3t
I'm Brian and so is my wife!

KALBO

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 07:50:23 AM »
Good read, thanks for keeping it posted Tyler!  Have a feeling the next major article that appears will probably mention SBGs as well!  8)

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 06:15:43 AM »
The only issue I have with the article is that it doesn't mention the movie, TV, and stage pioneers for us baldies: Yul Brynner and Telly Savalas. Jordan helped to popularize it but there were those that were there decades before him. Jeeeze, I was shaving my head years before Jordan! lol

Enter your email address: