Author Topic: Need advice on Tattoo aftercare.  (Read 6749 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Need advice on Tattoo aftercare.
« on: March 16, 2010, 03:40:50 PM »
OK, I have a number of tatts but it has been a long time since I got any new ink. I've done some online research and the quantity of aftercare products available nearly caused me to slide over into a parallel universe and resort to cannibalism.

What I seek with this topic is experiences that my sly bros/siss have had with aftercare products. One that I saw that looked interesting is called "h2Ocean" which has 3 products in it; soap, lotion, and a vitamin enriched color protectant/invisible bandage for prevention of infection.

This stuff has really evolved (or has it?) from the olden days when I got my first ink and the old tattoo goo that came in a small can and felt like lip balm. Or maybe they're just trying to confuse me.

I am going through this pain because I'm getting an old tatt covered up that I got years ago just to get some ink. I have an artist modifying a design that I pulled off the web to make it mine (so to speak) and he's supposed to e-mail me the finished product when he's done. When I get it I'm making an appointment with the shop (Expressions, Ink in Wausau, WI) which is highly rated in any of the ratings sites I have found.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

stemikger

Re: Need advice on Tattoo aftercare.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
Hey Buddha, I just recently got a new Tatt 7 months ago and a 33 year old tatt completely redone.

The artist I went to who has an amazing reputation and really does great work, told me not spend a lot of money on those products.  He gave me page which basically told me to put bacitracin on for two days and then use soap and water after that and Curel non-scented lotion until it heals.

They healed great and the aftercare was extremely simple.

Hope this helped.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
That was one of the things I read online. The lotions that most of the writers recommended are unscented/natural color. If I go that way I'm sure it would be wise to go high-end.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »
Buddha-

Go to WalMart and get a small tube of Aquaphor for about $3-$4. It's what my artist recommends and both my wife and I have used it for all of our tattoos.

Just remember... less is better. A VERY thin coat...........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

stemikger

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »
Posted by Ta2guyThere are more opinions about tattoo after-care than there are a-holes. I tried Tattoo Goo brand stuff when it first came out: really nasty IMO. I always wash with antibacterial soap in a very hot shower, then use a very small amount of A&D ointment for about two days, then small amount of Jergens Ultra Healing for the rest of my life.

Another highly recommended after-care method is known as LITFA: Leave It The F*** Alone.

For my money I would take Ta2guy's advice. 

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:43:02 PM »
When I got my most recent tat the artist recommended AquaPhor, mentioned by Koz. Each artist has their own method when it comes to after care. The artist I saw also recommended washing the tat twice daily with hot water and anti-bacterial soap. I would go with what the artist tells you.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
When I got my most recent tat the artist recommended AquaPhor, mentioned by Koz. Each artist has their own method when it comes to after care. The artist I saw also recommended washing the tat twice daily with hot water and anti-bacterial soap. I would go with what the artist tells you.

This is exactly my routine with new tats.......
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline deadohsky

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:20:14 PM »
Kind of late on this one, but ever since i got my first one it has been simple after care.  Wash twice a day with unscented soap and twice a day with curel unscented lotion.  Has worked perfectly for all of mine.

GASlick

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
I was told to wash gently, pat dry and put a small amount of A&D ointment on it until it healed.
Worked for me.

Offline Stormin Norm

• Team Sly
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:21:45 AM »
Try Pears soap (it stinks a bit) and rub in Polysporin after each wash.   O0

Enter your email address: