Author Topic: java programming?  (Read 1725 times)

HoodooMan

java programming?
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:31 PM »
hi fellas! i was wondering if anyone here is good with java programming? i'm trying to teach myself  via a book and online information and am having some trouble. i'm trying to figure out how to write an applet that takes an image and makes it move around the screen. i figured i'd use the "timer" class- it seems like what i'm after. say, take a pic of myself and make it bounce around the screen. i'm working with very simple stuff right now. any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!! hopefully someday i can do programming!

thanks alot fellas for any help!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: java programming?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:47:45 PM »
That's what I do for a living.

Applets are rather outdated technology. Is there a particular reason that you are focusing on Applets?

In any case, the best place to get Java help is the forums at the JavaRanch Big Moose Saloon.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:49:44 PM by bootedbear »

HoodooMan

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
the book i'm using seems to take things in steps that i usually understand = small steps! this is the first programming language i've tried to learn. so i'm trying to do things in those small steps so i can understand how the whole language works. plus i'd just like to create a small program to show an image of dancing around the screen!

thanks BEAR!

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
In my opinion it is very hard to learn to program from scratch completely on your own.
The key is not learning the syntax of a programming language and the tools, but the principles of programming, logical thinking, creating algorithms to solve a given problem.

I would recommend you attend a training course on programming.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:55:29 AM by SlyOne »
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »
I found VB way easier to learn before Java, learning Java after VB was easy breezy.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 03:01:58 PM »
I found VB way easier to learn before Java, learning Java after VB was easy breezy.

Agreed. VB is definitely easier than Java. I designed Java games for 2 years and worked next to a real java programmer. I went to school for it (C++, VB) and thought I was a "programmer" until I met this guy. I did well in C++ (Java's 2nd cousin) but it was hard and not fun. BUT I had a BLAST with Visual Basic. It's not only fun to learn but you can start making stuff relatively quickly. Once you learn the basics of object oriented programming things get much easier. If you want a first programming language to learn... definitely VB.
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes