Author Topic: Step One...  (Read 2224 times)

Offline John4142

• Learning the way of Sly
Step One...
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
Hey guys,

So I posted yesterday for the first time, 23 years old.. pretty aggressive balding from front to back.  I have some self esteem issues and although I wouldn't consider myself vain, I don't want to look ugly.

Anyway, thanks to your kind words and encouragement, I shaved my head down to a 3/8 clip.  Not a huge step, I know... But I've NEVER had my hair cut this short in my life.

Pros
-Looks more natural (not as stringy)
-I dont feel like I'm kidding myself as much
-Finally addressed the issue with someone face to face (mom) that it's weighing on me and my plans to progressively cut shorter

Cons
-My mom immediately said it's too short and she could see my whole scalp, which is true.  But she didn't like the idea of shaving it at all.  Suggested Rogaine and gave me the "it's what's on the inside that counts" speech.  Nothing like hearing that from my mom being 23 and single.
-You can see my scalp. Bad.  It makes me look basically bald.  I feel like every time I cut it shorter it makes other facial features more noticeable (I have a big nose..  not the end of the world, I know)

Doing this is a step forward.. I know that.  It's a step towards not being a slave to my hair anymore and it's turning into an obsession.  My questions is, how long did it take you guys to move from a 3/8 down to sly?  Did you do it progressively? Or all at once?  I still have 1/4, and the smallest clip to go (basically nothing)... then no clip.

I'd say I'm 60% invigorated, 40% kidding myself because I'm leading myself down a path that won't look good on me (which I'm still pretty convinced it won't)... either way, thanks for helping me make a step in the right direction, you guys rock.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Step One...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »
My questions is, how long did it take you guys to move from a 3/8 down to sly?  Did you do it progressively? Or all at once?  I still have 1/4, and the smallest clip to go (basically nothing)... then no clip.
Less than 10 days.  Oh, have your mom read the contra-indications for Roegain-i.e. what can go wrong!  I developed a huge rash, and a doctor bill.  You're on your way, you've got the itch--you will scratch it.  Don't worry, it will be a great feeling of freedom, then 30 days.  If you don't adapt, and I doubt that, you can grow it out to 3/8 in about 21 days! 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:44:53 PM »
If you're really serious about feeling better, give our 30 Day Rule a try.  Shave it clean (no hair) for 30 days straight.  Don't listen to any comments for 30 days (including your mom's) and then see what you think after 30 days.  I'm sure you will find that you will be in a better place and that most everyone will like it.

Don't take my word for it.  Read the hundreds of posts from guys that went through the 30 day rule and loved it!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 04:47:07 PM »
I find it ironic that your Mom says it's what's on the inside that counts and then criticizes you for wanting to cut your hair shortet.

Ask your Mom if she wants Grandkids one day and when she says yes show her the statistics about those prescriptions and the incidences of impotency caused by them.

I'm not trying to be nasty here..... I just think your Mom needs to know the facts.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline John4142

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »
I really want to wait until at least the Spring to go sly.. this way i can get a little sunlight on the scalp in the warmer weather before taking the dive.  I'm trying to gradually cut my hair shorter and shorter so it's not a shock to me or anyone else.. easing myself into the scary water i guess.. Additionally, I'd really like to start working out and eating healthier.  I want to sort of prep myself for this because to be honest i'm not thrilled with my appearance as is... Maybe I'm over thinking it..

I think my mom made the rogaine comment because she could see how heavily its weighing on me and offering other solutions to keeping it short and shaving.. But you're right, unless your knowledgeable on those products or repercussions the comments sound ignorant. 

I definitely plan on making the 30 days when the day finally comes.  Thanks for your input guys.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:10:12 AM »
Keep us posted John.... and Please.... stay around!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:21:51 AM »
OK John, not with the intention of offending anyone (mom) or being nasty but an eye opener for anyone who believes that a man can get good advice or instruction from ANY woman.
I have had this argument with many women who are of the opinion that a woman can raise a young boy to manhood in the absence of a man just as well as she could with a man around. The absolute proof that this is an impossibility is the simple fact that a woman cannot teach a boy the simplest male function.....urinating. Why? Because she doesn't: A) have the plumbing necessary to demonstrate the procedure and B) because she can't pee standing up! Well, maybe, but what a mess!
What, you may ask, does this have to do with you wanting to shave your head in view of the fact that your mom doesn't like the idea? A woman cannot possibly understand the feelings that a man has about the process of losing his hair and wanting to clear the rest of it for a more uniform appearance because she doesn't have THOSE feelings. Going bald for a man is a totally different scene than a woman going bald. As boys we were raised with the story of Samson who had massive strength until.....what?..... a woman cut off his hair while he was asleep. I can't help but think that this story lurks in the most hidden recesses of our minds. If we lose our hair we lose part of what it is to be a man.
It's different for women. Not being a woman, or a man who is too much in touch with my feminine side, I don't understand what goes on for them. I don't think like my wife does, nor do I have the feelings she does about most things.
If your mom comes on too strong about this most personal decision that you are about to make might I suggest being absent from her scorn for a while, at least until you make a decision and carry it out. It is possible to be busy when mom wants you to be present, after all, you're 23. Take the 30 day challenge and remain aloof until you are settled in your decision. Then what she says becomes a mind over matter issue for you. You don't mind her opinion because it doesn't matter.
As for the size of your nose.....the first sly TV hero, Theo Kojak (NYPD Homicide), was played by a slick sly Telly Savalas who had a nose as big as all outdoors. Buy some Tootsie Roll Pops and learn the line "who loves ya, baby?". In other words, don't worry about it. None of us is perfect.
And remember, it's your head.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Polarbear

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
Hi John,

I just want to say: good luck with the process. I am 23 and I have been balding since I was 17. As you can see on the picture I am not completely sly (I use a trimmer with no guard once in a while). But like the rest, I can give you all the advice you need in this situation! We all have been there.

Try not to worry so much. You gain confidence by taking action, like you did by trimming your hair. Whatever people say, it is your decision. It is better to take a decision than no decision at all!

Great thing about the buzzcut is that you won't notice your hair falling out as much as you did: the hairs will be so small that they almost won't be visible on your pillow, or near the sink of your bath tub. It is great, because you are not reminded of hair loss all the time. And also, when looking in the mirror, you see a fresh face again! (Isn't it great?) You talk about your big nose, but that is what a buzzcut / or sly will do: the focus will be on your face. Don't mind the nose. Women will notice your eyes, your smile (that you will get back) et cetera.

There's always this awful thought: women like men with hair better. Some of them might, but be aware: there's a lot of women out there that like the bald look. But most of them like men with confidence.

O yeah, I would avoid the pills and stuff. I have tried one too. They can have nasty side effects!

I hope this helps you. Good luck and keep us updated.

Polarbear