Author Topic: 12 hours without power  (Read 2701 times)

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
12 hours without power
« on: February 17, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
Because some guy thought he could fly in the fog, it's terrible and it literally happened in my backyard ( about a mile from my house ) Power was out for 12 hours, the things you take for granted.

http://cbs5.com/local/plane.crash.neighborhood.2.1500374.html

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
Re: 12 hours without power
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »
Now you remember all that stuff you should have gotten for a power outage right?  :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »
Affirmative....plenty of Ammo.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »
And I thought you were gonna say night vision goggles!  :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »
Nope, got a couple Surefire's, a red filter for reading, blue for tracking, a diffuser and plenty of glow sticks in case I decide I'm bored and want to start a rave  ;D besides everyone thinks night vision is uber cool, I think there a pain in the but, don't know what advancements are in the NV field but having no peripheral vision sucks as far as I'm concerned but there useful....did I mention an 870 is your best friend.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:42:09 PM by ShadowSide »

Offline J.P.M. Polished

• Sly Jr.
  • Favorite T V companion. she keeps quiet
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:26:18 AM »
I live in N C ...If A dog pee's on a pole..lights go out , had to go 7 weeks with out power when Hugo came through I now keep a year round supply , Flash Light for the wife , at least 50 lbs of charcol how ever if its due to a storm in a couple days you can have great fires to cook over once everything dries out some sort of a heater if it goes out in the winter, make sure you have fresh Kero for said heater every fall Ould will give off and Nasty smell and its deadly by the way batterie operated , or beleave it or not they now have crank Radios out so you can keep up with the News and dont count on the cell phone working too well ,.,,,,the Towers need Elletric after there batteries die off too,wind up clock so you can go to work after washing off in that water you set by the fire last night to war mso you can wash off and make coffiee  and as soon as the power goes out grab some ice as the fridge getts too warm after 12 hours and things start to thaw , rember cooked food cooled back down lasts longer then raw. Didnt mean to get carried away but you will never beleave the people who grew up here yet still ask for help oor complain cause they wasnt perpared when the dog got out too pee....Oh by the way ...Rottweiler Securty works good as any night Vision and can hear a lot better

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:35:34 AM »
I forgot to mention the hunden, J.P.M. nailed it and as far as I'm concerned any disaster natural/terrorist related having a Dog as a loyal companion is imperative. Unfortunately both my Collies ( Beau and Andy ) passed away awhile back  :'( ....Beau is in some sort of record book or of some sort for being one of the biggest Collies recorded in the U.S. ....from what my dad tells me. Right now at the moment we have my Sister's dog here, a Min-Pin named Tucker, she decided just to leave it here one day for my mom to take care of and never really came back to it. He's beyond neurotic, bat-sh!# crazy and really sort-of bi-polar but he has a good side and I'm under the impression that he was abused when my sister got him when she was majoring in alcoholism at the university of Santa Barbara, Dog abuse is not cool but that is another topic.

J.P.M. that is a fantastic looking Rotty and it's one breed I want to own, my good friend has one and I'm pretty much set in concrete after seeing the way his Rotty interacts with the kids and how protective he can be that Rotty's are the best family dogs IMO. I love Collies and will always, I think that they are the most loyal and intelligent dogs on the planet ( Beau would put Lassie to shame ) they're literally freaking human, Andy used to open up the fridge, unlock doors and the gate in the backyard go outside and pee and relax for a little bit and then go to the front of the house scratch and bark at the front door to let him in. Beau was the same way except he could be surly wise-@$$ at times, I remember one Thanksgiving Beau  smelled the turkey or something and he liked to hang over the gate between the laundry/dog room and the kitchen. Well Beau caught wind and eyesight of the Turkey and started growling and pleading for some. My mom starts having a converstaion with him ( yeah we talked to him, like I said they both where literally human ) so my mom goes "end of discussion !!!" and Beau grunts get's of the fence turns around and sits down on his bed. Well an hour goes by and my mom put out all her expensive china and her nice tablecloth and we are all sitting in the T.V. room watching T.V. and all of a sudden we hear a loud crash and the breaking of plates......All I thought to myself " No he didn't". Beau hopped on the gate grabbed the end/corner of the table cloth and dragged all my Mom's china to the floor, breaking all of it. We put him outside for the night, Andy sat next to me on the couch the whole night and I gave him some turkey....Beau didn't get squat until a couple days later, the rest of thanksgivings we had with the two Beau never was out of line. Gdamn I miss those dogs.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:38:04 AM by ShadowSide »

Offline J.P.M. Polished

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
SOrry to hear about your collies but on a good note Rotties are great companions just make sure you keep them socialized Deli My rottie lis a part of the family just as the other two pets we have a 9 lb rat terrier ( Feist ) and a 12 year old 20 lb tom cat that they all play together she ven lays down to play with them usally cause she is so big at 100 lbs she is great with kids we have taken her a couple times to places tht are having adoption so that people can see that all the bad crap about them is just that...crap they was trained for she rides in the front of the truck and has to be seatbelted in or she lets you know if you forget and actually that picture of her sitting with me is she loves for some reason to watch Westerens and she sitsd down beside me in the chair and I have to pull her back but she sits like a human there one day just to see how long she sat there for 4 hours and fell asleep ( she snores loudly at times though ) but on a leash I have a freind who's daughter is mentally handycap and I tell Deli .look who has you and the kid walks her and she never leaves her side . as far as protective. she has looked at the wife one day when she was rubbingh my back and pushed her away from me when I jokingly said OW , she shoved my 18 year old daughters  boy freind off the porch one day due to the tone of his voice , wasn't loud or mean just didnt like how he was talking and its not wise to come around the house after dark , she can open doors as well but still thinks she is a lap dog ...sorry I got off the meaning of the thread there I just love Rotties and Sheapards so if there is anything ya need to know just ask ,,even the shutzhund training is great cause they are after all german hearding dogs and ones like deli ( have papers on her and the parents ) that come grom Germany have alot of hearding instinct still in them once again sorry to get off topic

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
I'm concerned any disaster natural/terrorist related having a Dog as a loyal companion is imperative.

A good puppy can certainly replace the alarm system while the power is out.  Before we evacuated from Katrina three days after the storm, and after Gustav we had Miss Irma, our Dobbie for the week or so before power was restored.  She is a barker, and usually we hush her, but while people on the streets were very rare, a car load or two of "tourists" would receive the full Irma welcome, and a 70+ pound barking dog gets people's attention :popo.  So, after a storm, I get out James Joyce's Ulysses, and pick up where I left off after the previous storm, sitting on the covered front porch, catching any breeze that passes by--Miss Irma barking at anything she doesn't recognize.  Oh, FYI, gas water heater--my dome is always smooth. ;D 

Offline J.P.M. Polished

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »
Just as a after thought Deli dont bark unless she is playing with another dog ro wrestling with me then she sounds like she is mualing what ever she has but now everyone says comming to my house is nuts cause you hear the 9 pound rat terrier and are greated by the 100 lb Rottie ....love to watch the face of strangers who come knocking  :*)) :*)) >:D

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »
Doby's are great dogs and I think they are absolutely gorgeous.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 05:19:34 PM »

I agree 100%!!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »

I agree 100%!!!!

There just an awesome specimen of an animal, very proud and graceful dog.

....What the Hell's up with people, three guys decide to go for a joyride/flight and then a day later some bat-sh!@ crazy dude flies into a building :/O
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:17:51 PM by ShadowSide »