Author Topic: Losing My Hair  (Read 2569 times)

usmcpelon

Losing My Hair
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
My brother visited us this past mothers day, and to my shock he shows me how much of his hair he has lost.  I never though he would lose 75% of his hair within a one year period.  He is going bald on top.  It’s been about 10 months since I shave my head by choice so I decided to left my hair grow out little to see if there was any difference from my full head of hair 10 months ago to today. 

SURPISE SURPRISE SURPRISE! I’m losing my hair at the temple and it is notable.  On the back of my head at the nap, there is hardly any hair growth at all.  It never grew out for the two week that I have not shaved my head.  There seem to be little patches of no hair growth on top.  Could this be the prelude to the demise of my hair?  If so, I never thought in my wildest dreams I would ever lose my hair.  My other brother who is between me and my other brother in age still has a full head of hair. 

I have let my hair grow out 4 times since I was little to a longer style for different family occasion when I thought longer hair would be appropriate.  It lasted no more than one year and a half and cut it back to a high and tight horseshoe flattop.  This time it certainly does show lose of hair on the front sides of the crown and the nap in the back?  There is absolutely no hair growth on the nap at all.  For the first time, I’m feeling the anxiety that most of you guys have felt at the sight of losing your hair.  I have another important date February 2011, my daughter sweet sixteenth birthday bash and I know I’m going to get the pressure to let my hair grow out for the occasion.

Since a high & tight is not much hair at all and since going sly last September, I don’t think I’m going to lose my sleep over the hair loss, but it has always been good to let my hair grow out for the special occasion that it has required to do so.  What I’ll do now for those occasions is up in the air, I just hope I’ll be able to handle it smoothly.

Am I really starting to lose my hair?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Losing My Hair
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:23:26 PM »

It happens, and the percentages aren't in most guys favor after 30, when 30% have some degree of loss, to 50, when 50% of guys do.  Look at the bright side, other than the shine of course, O:O, you're well used to it.  And, you've probably been losing even before, but w/ the high and tight it's not quite as easy to see.  Time and mpb wait for no man--not even you and those who say, "Oh, I'm BBC."  Maybe, maybe not--reality isn't your choice, only whether you acknowledge what is true. 

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:49:50 AM »
{BIG EDIT}

You have embraced "the Way of the Sly"... ...Does it really matter???

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »
its possible. you look good sly so I wouldn't be too concerned about it
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 08:45:37 AM »
A lot of people would be surprised to know how a guy can be losing hair and not know it.  I always thought that even after my head was shaved that I'd notice the continued thinning and recession.  After all, we all give our scalps a thorough examination for missed spots, etc. and it should be obvious when there's less hair to shave than there used to be. 

Well, yes ... and no.  If you're thinning out on top, you don't expect to see as much stubble as you do in the horseshoe area.  If you shave every day, you tend to think that the top would fill in some more if you gave it enough time, so it's easy to delude yourself.  The other thing, that I was surprised to find out is that most of us don't usually end up 100% bald on top.  Even if you're 95% to 99% bald, if you feel that little bit of stubble on top, you feel like you've still got hair.  In reality, if you grew it out, you may find that it's only a little bit of peach fuzz that no one else can even see.

A couple of months ago, I saw a photo of the back of my head and I was absolutely shocked to discover that the entire horsehoe area had gotten lower in the back.  There's still a little stubble there, that i feel when I shave the crown, so I hadn't even noticed how sparse it had become.  I'm probably at about Norwood VI now, and since God willing I have plenty of years ahead of me, there's a high likelihood that I'll make it to Norwood VII eventually.

I know what you mean, though.  After years of being committed to the shaved look, it's still a bit of a shock to learn that there isn't as much hair as there used to be.  I've known for about 20 years that I was going to have substantial hair loss, but somehow I never thought I'd end up with complete MPB. Not that it really matters at this stage of the game.   ;)