Author Topic: Done.  (Read 1844 times)

Offline blech

• Sly Guy in Training
Done.
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:24:44 AM »
Posted a topic in the "Introductions" forum (http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=11166.0) a while back explaining my situation and saying I was bout to shave, but then never did.  Welp, earlier today I worked up some cajones and just went for it.

Initially I felt pretty good about it---and I still think it looks alright.  Not great, but not hideous either.  But I've had mixed reviews so far.  Haven't actually worn the bald look out in public yet, but I got a few opinions of some friends.  The first friend (a dude) said it looked good, and from what I can tell wasn't just being polite.  So i was pretty stoked about that.  He used the words "badass" and said I was "meant to be bald."  

The other two (both girls, in other words vastly more important) had terrible reactions.  The first girl (my best chick-friend, smokin' hot) said I looked scary.  The second (also attractive) was just like, "noooo why did you do that?" and said it looked cartoonish (NO idea what that means.  Disproportionate?  I do have a tall head).  She then started saying things like "don't worry, there's someone out there for everyone" which is ULTRA discouraging.

I donno.  Personally I was pretty happy about it when I first did the deed, especially considering the expectations I had of it being nightmarish looking.  Not really a fan of the whole, "as long as you're happy with it..." attitude, though.  

Ultimately I know this is my best option, and that I just need to roll with it and move on.  Just thought I'd see if anyone else had similar initial reactions from some female friends, and maybe how they're doin with the ladies now?  I figure I'll just start working out more and try to dress nicer... if that doesnt work, maybe try to get rich? Hahaha.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:59:46 AM by blech »

Offline surfboardnyc

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Done.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 04:50:32 AM »
I would not give too much what other people say.  It's like with any haircut ... some people like it and some don't.  I am sure it looks fine ... post a picture.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:57:14 AM »
30 days Dude! Give it 30 days. There are a lot of thing in life that take to time to adjust to. Changing one's appearance pretty drastically is one of them.

Remember this...... a positive about anything in life will make so much better.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:02 AM »
Hey B. don't worry about negative comments.  We have all received them.  It's all about you and what you like.  It would be a rather boring place if everyone liked the same things.  Remember--It's YOU that counts.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
Getting rich should surely help.  ;D

Seriously, you need a little patience - the 30 days (TM). The girls are just surprised. Stick with it and your friends will get comfortable with your new style as you will yourself.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
I figure I'll just start working out more and try to dress nicer...

Sounds like you're a little tough on yourself.  As I said to your earlier post, you're going to lose it, that's genetics, it's either hair by hair--on the pillow, in the drain, whatever, or get in front, like you have. 
Women, sometimes they are the instigators but a lot of times they think they like the "old" balding you--maybe it gives them the feeling that they control since not many girls like to see a guy that's balding, they know where it's going too. 
Get out w/ the new look, work out, dress up--it's going to work.  You've done the really tough part, now 30 days, and you're going to be happy.  Yes, it's a big change, we told you about that "Who's the dude in the mirror?" stuff.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »
Yup, give it time and give yourself time to get used to the change.  People are basically selfish so I wouldn't put too much value on their opinions... they will reflect what they think is good for them, not you!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith