Author Topic: Rough Times  (Read 2000 times)

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Rough Times
« on: January 31, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »
  Hummm :: Driving around the Minneapolis area i see alot of poor looking people holding up signs asking for money...In some parts of town they are on every corner...I know none of these people are gonna actually work for food or are former vets in need....Ok maybe one guy is a vet....Our local news outlet actually followed some of these people and they went home too there two story homes and three cars in the driveway...They actually admitted on TV how they make 100,000 a year cash.........Im thinking about switching occupations....mmm
  Some of theses signs are pretty creative and i have too admit -if its funny ill give them some money for effort..
 Ill give someone like this money everytime for being somewhat creative and funny.......... O0

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
Re: Rough Times
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 11:53:58 AM »
In New York City we have the same thing  - - -I love doing it but in NYC I make $200,00 a year  - -I live in a million dollar home in Westchester  and drive a Mercedes      (just kidding)

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:01:29 PM »
Eveyone is going through tough times, but really is it that tough, look at what's going on in Haiti that's tough or the poverty in El Salvador or North Korea. I think the use of the Term "tough times" is such a punchline these days, The American people are a strong nation and we need to adapt and overcome and despite what Michelle Obama says about America being a "mean spirited nation" we are the ones that are putting the most effort in the help and rebuld of Haiti and I bet everyone here we'll be one of the few to still be there when every other country decides to go "well there all fed it's time to go" and despite are tribulations that we are engaging in at home with the current economy and the conflict in Afghanistan (which btw we are helping to rebuild and kill terrorists at the same time ) Too me Gentleman we are leading by example but it doesnt come without critism because the rest of the world , except for the U.K. and Australia are all a bunch of haters...oh does still Michelle Obama still think we are mean spirited ? I would think with the good that we provide and give to about %70 of the world is just not enough for some. Tough times Gentleman but It could be worse.
       That pic is rather amusing and not too shabby, I don't factor in Homeless vets into this matter because to me they are the top priority over anything else, at least the guy has humor in it but still if you are hurt or in hard times that's one thing but I currently reside in the most liberal a$$ backwards state in the most liberal a$$ backwards region on the planet, right across the bay is the also the most liberal a$$ backwards tree hugging place called Berkely and we have a pandemic of homeless people who are just to freaking lazy and unmotivated to work. About a month ago I saw a homeless guy sporting a blazer and wearing a USMC cover ( that's hat to everyone else ) so I asked him when he was what was his MOS, what battalion/regiment he served with...the guy couldn't respond and give a clear answer and then it hit me, I've seen this shi$#@! before, sitting on the corner of El Camino real with a limp cane begging for money and then later in the Night outside one of the local Bars sitting on a mountain bike playing a Harmonica...WTF. So I pretty much had a Jarhead moment chewed this guy out explaining to him that no matter how many years ago or how long you served in the Corps you will always remember where you went to boot and where you served and the faces and names of your brothers that served with you and then I asked him to hand over his cover/hat because I had no right to wear my eagle globe and anchor and exploit my beloved Corps for his personal gains.

And for the record If I do offend anyone with the Liberal a$$ backward hippy comments, I don't care.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:35:45 PM by ShadowSide »

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 01:05:55 PM »
Speaking as an ex-grunt I sure do like grunts, be they Jarheads or Dogfaces. Give 'em hell Shadow.

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »
I thought everyone hated grunts or is that just pogues because there haters !!!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:19:58 PM »
Nobody that's been outside the wire hates a grunt. Maybe those rear echelon types.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 02:09:59 PM »
I never give any money to panhandlers, never have, never will.  I've seen them dropping the guys off from vans--it's a racket.  
Mind you there are a lot of people feeling the current recession, families with kids--it's a real and serious problem.  Years of failure to properly supervise the lending industry--and that's not "banks" in the traditional term, but an industry that thought of one way after another to lead people to signing up for large loans they couldn't afford, that had the consequence of creating a false "building boom." Then the bubble collapses--the "lending industry" retires, banking suffers too.  Smoke and mirrors don't work, whether they are Republicans or Democrats, Liberals or Conservatives--they have all done it for political expediency.  All have forgotten the essential fact of a civilized society, politics=elections, and after elections the office holders should move from politics to governance=good policies for the people--politics be damned.  You can't have wars that pay for themselves, and you can't have war and butter--never has worked whether with Johnson and the Viet Nam War, or Bush w/ Iraq.  There's a price, it must be paid with taxes as well as blood.  When politics drives the government, it's doomed, no matter whose politics or which side of the aisle because they don't have the courage to raise taxes to support a war and they want a war. It's always an old man's war and a young man's fight--that used to be a saying of the Republicans, believe it or not.  If it's worth fighting for, it must also be worth paying for, otherwise you get what we have now.  
That's just my opinion from having participated in politics and working in government as well as private industry and law practice.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:12:17 PM by saintc »

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »
Saint, you are the freakin' man !!!  O0

Enter your email address: