Author Topic: I'm tired of having the same haircut all the time.  (Read 28761 times)

Offline Jodah777

• Sly Jr.
Re: I'm tired of having the same haircut all the time.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Sorry but if you're looking for pity you've come to wrong place.  Yes, it would be nice to be able to grow hair and have different hairstyles from time to time.  I'd also like to be taller, younger and have a faster metabolism.  We can't always have what we want; we have to do our best with what God gave us.  What's the point in agonizing over something you can't do anything about?  Count your blessings, keep your head shaved and get on with your life.

Razor nails it!

In the words of Mick Jagger.... "You Can't Always Get What you Want"

I did not come here for pity. I posted this in order to draw upon the creativity of the bald community. Most of the other comments are at the very least interesting, while your comment is childish, unproductive, and defensively mean. You are merely suggesting to shove my feelings down, and you imply that my feelings aren't valid. Perception is reality, so yes, my feelings are valid. Additionally, ignoring emotions will cause a mental breakdown or a tumor. Remember that.

Offline Jodah777

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 12:23:14 AM »
 Now to put the post back on course... I was actually thinking about letting my hair grow out so I could use clippers creatively. I was thinking maybe lightning bolts. I could also do a leafy pattern and dye it green to look like a Caesar. The problem with bald is that it's always the same. Anything that stays the same all the time is BORING. I'm hoping that somebody will come up with a unique solution that gracefully accepts baldness as opposed to shamefully hiding it with a razor. (I understand that there are many who proudly claim to love their shaved head, and do not feel shameful about it.)

Here I'd like to respond to some of the above...
  I like the temporary tattoo idea. That could go in SO MANY directions.
  Facial hair only looks right on very few people. I have found that facial hair on bald OR hairy men usually indicates insecurity or overcompensation of some sort.
  I would count my blessings if I didn't have a plethora of horrendous problems smothering them. I'd rather get mad at my bald head than fall into a depression over... my mental illness, the excessive amount of work I do, the fact that my family could go under financially and end up homeless at any time, the recent loss of my friend to cancer, blah blah blah. The point is, my life sucks hard, and I hate hearing people tell me to count my blessings. When there are too few to count, that in itself is depressing. Also, the phrase "count your blessings" is another way of saying "ignore your problems and they will go away".

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 12:54:15 AM »
Jodah, your initial post was perceived by many as a pity call and as you mentioned, perception is reality.  You didn't elaborate that you wanted to grow out to use clippers creatively, so how were we to know that's what you meant?  Inf the future, it would help to be more clear so we can offer the best advice for you.  We want to help you and are trying to do so with our posts.

I'd be careful with blanket statements like the one you made about facial hair.  Many guys here wear facial hair and I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to overcompensate for anything or is it because they have insecurities.  I wear it because my wife really likes it as well as many other people.  In fact, if it weren't for her, I'd probably shave it.

As I mentioned above, I think you need to talk to someone about what your going through.  You mentioned some of the items you're facing and it's tough, I know.  Trust me when I say that you have to count your blessings and it's not a saying that means "ignore your problems and they will go away."  You have to deal with them individually.  Your blessing are what carry you through the tough times while you work on the problems so that they can go away.  You have to tackle your problems head on, one at a time, a step at a time.  You can do it, and we're here to help.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 06:32:38 AM »
Hmmm...... you say you're not here for pity but then you go on to list all the misery in your life.

I'm the Dad of a son with special needs. Twelve years ago when he was diagnosed I wallowed in self pity for three years. I didn't realize it at the time but that's what it was. I know self pity when I see it and you are full of self pity right now........ realize it or not.

You're going to say bald guys with facial hair don't look good but then tell us you're going to shave lightning bolts into your hair.
Yeah.... that will look a lot better than a nice shaved hair and a goat. Go ahead and do that and then post us a photo so we can all admire what we can't have. :*)) I'm sure people everywhere will be saying, "Man, more guys with shaved heads should do that. It's really cool."  :*))

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline surfboardnyc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 07:52:09 AM »
Facial hair. Cool hats. Get creative with your wardrobe. Try shaving only once a week, it'll help your vanity and shaving day becomes quite fun and less of a chore.
I agree with cheese as well.  You should focus on the areas where you can be creative.  In addition to the above, work out, build muscles or don't, have a tan, don't have a tan, get your ears pierced, or don't.   There are a million ways to play with your appearance other than your hair. 

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 09:39:40 AM »
Overcome and adapt.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 09:45:57 AM »
Stop wallowing in your own pity, it's pathetic!

Grow up, get a life and be a man already.   

Offline SlyTK

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 11:50:13 AM »

Preach on brother.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »

Don't beat about the bush: tell it like it is!  ;D  O0

Seriously, listen to NewYawka, coz I've always found him to be the voice of reason. O0 8)

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »
Jared !

Exactly how much genetic male pattern baldness have you experienced at age 24? 

Why not grow it out and funk it for pleasure until its not possible or just accept it bald and focus on your other talents?

I visited your MySpace link and those pics seemed to portray a happy person ?

Sexual pref. or mental stress, the economy, job issues, hairloss, weight gain, no self confidence, personal stuff (death) ... man we all deal with some aspect EVERY day ! You're Not Alone !

Gay, Str8, Black, Pink, Purple, handicap, Polka Music fanatics, who cares?

This is a rare site of support and advice and comfort zone.

Thanks for sharing !

---Stasiu 

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »
'Bravo'!

As we Brits say... O0

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 04:41:16 PM »
Man, you are lucky.  So you don't have a full head of hair.  But, you do have several things going your way; you have your youth and good looks.  As for me, I am bald by choice. Shave every day and love it.  Why, I have Sh*&y hair.  You are an attractive man, Look at my picture, not particully good looking.  So what, like you, I'm a good person who searches for the good in man and most situations.  Try it, you'll like it. 
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 04:51:56 PM »
  Come on now  Papa Don  ::  You look Fabulous .....................

Offline imb

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 01:27:29 PM »
Dunno about everyone else but the things you mentioned as negative aspects of being bald I think are rather good things. I for one am thankful that I don't have to waste my time ensuring it stays fashionable, having inane conversations with the hairdresser, colouring it to match my outfit (WTF?). The one less superficial thing I have to worry about the better. Don't get me wrong I know things aren't so black and white, I'm 24 so I can appreciate how difficult it is sometimes when you see your peers with a nice fluffy head of hair. Do I envy them? Hmm for a split second, then I realise that it's rather sad that younger women like that actually. I just don't understand where this desire of wanting to change it every week comes from though?

Offline rabiddecoder

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 10:26:58 PM »
Yes, it would be nice to be able to grow hair and have different hairstyles from time to time.  Count your blessings, keep your head shaved and get on with your life.

I still have my hair and choose to be SLY but, that's me.  RX is right.  Man up, follow his prescription!!