Author Topic: I tried the headblade  (Read 5128 times)

Polarbear

I tried the headblade
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:20:24 AM »
Hi Guys (and possibly gals),

Yesterday I've tried the headblade :D

I have tried to completely shave my head a few years before with the Gilette Fusion, but that turned out absolutely horrible. I had a lot of red spots and I didn't like the feel of my shaved head. I think I wore hats for a couple of days until some hairs started to pop out again.

After the attempt, I went back to using my hair clipper. I think a little "hair line" suited me better. After a while I trimmed my head with no gaurd. I have been doing that for over a year now I guess.

So I thought, why not try it again, the "sly look"? So I bought the headblade. I thought it might be better for my head than the Gilette. At first, it was a bit scary, like all the first shaving attempt are. (Well, they always have been to me haha)

After a few strokes I thought I had figured it out. So I went quicker and quicker over the head, until I knicked myself on the back of my head. It is a serious cut that kept bleeding for 20 minutes  :/O So, I quit the shaving to stop the bleeding. Most of my head had already been shaved, so it was no big deal. But I have to say... in general I really like the way the headblade works. I only forgot that I had a little "hump" on the backside of my head. That's the reason I cut myself.

After the shave, I went over my head... and it was... I hoped it was great, but I really don't like the feeling. It feels really artificial, like a swim cap. Maybe because it is the first time I have shaved using a razor? Also, I didn't look as cool as I had hoped. So I think I am going back to the 1mm look again, shave it once a week like I did.

Any comments on this strory ;)?

Thanks for reading!

Polarbear
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:22:47 AM by Polarbear »

BaldRob

Re: I tried the headblade
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:30:56 AM »
After the shave, I went over my head... and it was... I hoped it was great, but I really don't like the feeling. It feels really artificial, like a swim cap. Maybe because it is the first time I have shaved using a razor? Also, I didn't look as cool as I had hoped. So I think I am going back to the 1mm look again, shave it once a week like I did.

That is a normal feeling for the first few times you shave your head... Try it again and keep the look for 30 days.

Also, when using the headblade, take your time and don't put pressure on the blade itself...

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »
Head blade and quick do not go well together. Maybe you should try shaving it for 30 days and if you still don't like it go back to a buzz but you should give it a chance.

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:37:48 AM »
Definitely, there is a learning curve to shaving one's head.  Cuts are inevitable, even for a person who shaves everyday.  Especially when you get in a hurry.   The Headblade will get you more often than a MACH 3 or a Fusion, but does a great job overall (IMO)  Going "quicker and quicker" is a sure way to get yourself cut.  Slow and steady is the way to do it, and that rule applies to many more things than headshaving.
Some just don't master, or care to master headshaving.  You sound as if you MIGHT just fall into that category.  Bald heads aren't for everyone.   Reading your post and statements leads me to think that you fall into that category.
Good Luck.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Polarbear

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:22:48 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Cvasara, you just might be right. I didn't think of that.

I felt slightly attacked by your reply at first, but you might actually have a point here. I am not the type of guy that spends a lot of time on the personal appearance. I think I have gotten used to it because of the ease of buzzing the head, not having to worry about the look in the mirror, trim once a week - or when feeling lazy: even less. Et cetera.

Also, I almost always have dry skin, looking a bit tired, and stuff. With a bald head your skin and appearance should be at least alright. It would take me too much time, stuff like lotions... to keep up with the look - clean shaven, fresh... I would have to go to the gym and stuff. Even though I know that I would get used to the clean look - and the routine that goes with it - at a certain time, as you do with all things, I am not tempted to take this step (yet).

What you guys say: shave it for 30 days. I have read this rule before and I definitely think it is a good rule, but I don't think I'll do that. I think the 1mm look is just better for me, at least for now. I have gotted quite used to my clipper shaving routine and don't want to worry about "Is this sly look right for me, or not?" It's like going back to the doubtful days when I was 17, starting to lose hair, that I decided to buzz my hair. The doubts drove me crazy.

I still own the headblade, have the lubes and shaving cream and some razors. Eventually there will be a day again that I'll pick it up again, more careful than before  :/O But that will be in the summer I guess. There is not much sun right now. It's really cold actually... which makes me skinny, pale and bald. It's just not a good combination. I'll try it again in summer, maybe I will like it then. Then it's also fairer to make a decision!

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate it  :D

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:06:32 AM »
I'm going to also recommend keeping it shaved for 30 days..... usually any change ion one's appearance takes a little time to get used to. A few things about the Headblade and shaving your head:

1) Take your time, especially at first. You will naturally get quicker using the HB after a week or so of using it.
2) No pressure on the Blade
3) That "artificial" feeling is normal. Your head needs to get seasoned for a few weeks.
4) Do NOT try to get extra shaves out of your blade on the Headblade. Dull blades on the HB are dangerous!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

parksie

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
One thing I have to add is use a good shaving gel/cream and try shaving in the shower. It helps me a great deal if i shave in the shower after about 5 minutes or so of hot water running over my head.

KentBaldGuy

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 03:19:05 PM »
I used the Headblade all over Christmas and was really pleased with its performance but without a change in technique, shaving gel, timing, and with same type of blades it suddenly started to nick me all over my head in the first week of this year. New blades made no difference so after a few days of this (and the soreness it brought), I had to give up and go back to the Mach 3 Turbo.

Immediately the nicking stopped, the soreness disappeared and even the redness and bumps I used to get with the Mach 3 pre-Headblade all vanished. So at the moment I am happy with the Mach 3 Turbo as at now.

Anyone to care to suggest what exactly happened, and what might have changed with my scalp skin?

Tony

Offline thebaboun

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »
When I decided to go sly after 30 days..... I thought that buying the HB was a good decision, but it was not. It broke on me and it is MUCH MORE  complicated to use than a simple razor with three blades IN MY OPINION...

Stick with a razor...it should be better!

Offline Ta2Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • ta2guy.org
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 07:39:28 PM »
My HeadBlade didn't break. I only used it once but otherwise I absolutely agree 1000% with thebaboun:

When I decided to go sly after 30 days..... I thought that buying the HB was a good decision, but it was not. It  . . .  is MUCH MORE complicated to use than a simple razor with three blades IN MY OPINION...

Stick with a razor...it should be better!

As I said on another thread:

THE HEAD BLADE IS REALLY............. a defective design. I cut myself more in one shave attempt than I ever did in forty-something years of shaving. And if I put any less pressure on it, then the shaving cream would have remained undisturbed.

The headblade should come with a box of band aids and a coupon for a free pint of blood.

Shaving just should not be difficult. Or dangerous. And I get a damned good shave with a Mach 3 or even better with a Fusion or an M5. And I get a pretty good shave with my Braun 7. And I have never cut myself with any one of those implements.

Why use something that is less forgiving than the Gestapo?

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
I think its definitely a personal preference.    I absolutely love my headblade - but I don't rush it (I did once and paid the price), I change the blade once a week, and I put zero pressure on the blade.   For me its more of a natural motion than using a standard razor.  But to each his own -- I know there are guys in this group that love just about everything that's out there.    Key is to find something that works for you and to stick with it.   

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 06:37:41 AM »
Like the others say, give it thirty days and then see how you feel.  You might not like it.  But at least you will have tried it enough to make an informed decision.  After that it really is up to you.  Some of us love being SLY and bald, but others find it's not for them. 8)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 09:58:11 AM »
I think you should give it a bit more time as Rob and others suggested. It takes a few weeks to get used to shaving the scalp. Experiment with different razor combo's to see what works best for you.

As far as the HeadBlade goes, that's one thing you don't want to be rushed, or try to go quick with. At least not while your still new to using it, or new to shaving at all, for that matter.
As you gain experience you will find you are able to make passes much easier.

Hang in there and give it another shot, but take your time!     O0

Polarbear

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 05:08:22 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments :) I appreciate it!

The thing that bothers me about the sly look is that it is to be maintained, like shaving every other day. You need lube, razors, lotion and stuff, so you have to buy those things over and over again.
I have to say: Headblade does a really good job of portraying its product and the look as a lifestyle - it is a good design, it has a good logo, nice colours, et cetera. I think it is the main reason I could not resist buying it to try out the look once again.

There was a good side on going bald and buzzing it short. Before I went bald I was really vain, so at first I was really sad about losing my hair. Who wouldn't be? You all probably have been there. After time I trimmed the hair shorter and shorter: I got used to it, everybody got used to it. Girls like the feeling as well, and I enjoy it very much when they stroke my head - some of them can't stop (that is... my mother  :-\) However, there's always these drunk fellas who think they MUST touch it :x! but that's okay. It's possibly better than to be completely ignored.

I gained confidence as I lost vanity. I am not saying there is a 1-on-1 connection, but for me it was the good side of losing hair. Sometimes I can't help myself from laughing at my friend who have good hair and worry about how it looks, before they go out. Me, I don't have to worry about anything, as long as I bring my confidence and put on a smile. Of course, there are times... yada, yada, but I guess everybody's got that feeling sometime. So with the buzz look, I shave it once a week, of every other week when feeling lazy.

A long story short:
I am not continuing shaving with the Headblade for now, or any blade for that matter. I think I look good enough with a little line and probably better. I don't have to shave my head in order to feel better, or to my opinion look better. I think there are men who look better with their balding pattern visible than if they were sly, like Patrick Stewart etc. I might be one of them. Still, I am a big fan of the sly look when it looks good on a person. I wish it looked better on me. For now I am just to "skinny" for it. I have a thin long neck and that's not the best thing to have when sly. I will definitely try it out sometime again, when it is sunny and warm. But I don't think I will in the next two years.

Thank everyone for their feedback once again :)

Enter your email address: