Author Topic: Perfectionism  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Jack

• Sly Guy in Training
Perfectionism
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:23:37 AM »
I shave against the grain using a Fusion and shaving oil (ShaveSecret), though I'm interested in getting a Headblade. When I've finished, I check by running palm and fingers everywhere in every direction, making sure I take care of any rough spots found. Not an hour later, while idly fingering my scalp, I'll find another spot, or indeed sizeable patches that seem to be inadequately shaved as hair can be felt with not much pressure. I find myself dashing in and out of the bathroom all day to touch up -- good thing I work from home -- and all but shaving my head raw.

Anyone else have this issue?

Solutions?

Solidarity?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Perfectionism
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:30:40 AM »
Based on your previously posted pic I'd guess you're a young guy who still has a lot of hair.  Shaving your head regularly will help you develop a method of consistency.  By that I mean, find a consistent pattern to shave your head so that you get the greatest amount of hair shaved off close on the first pass.

Numerous passes only serve to cause irritation and potential razor burn.  Just keep at it.  You'll get better and more efficient at shaving as the weeks go by.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Jack

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:38:29 AM »
True. I have a cowlick (that is, the swirl around the back of the top -- is that the right word?) which requires me to attack it from what seems like every humanly possible angle to get everything. I expect it'll get easier later on, but it is a right pain for now.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 03:40:17 AM »
I feel your pain.  I have the same problem shaving my crown, as it seems to grow in a radial pattern.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

GASlick

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 04:27:12 AM »
Same here.  Just have to hit it almost in a circle.  Takes some practice for sure.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »
It must be something in the genes!  I too have the crown swirl.  Pain in the arse!!!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Jack

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 07:21:59 AM »
I don't know what the deal is. I'm pressing quite hard enough to irritate my scalp, and I'd say all but skinning myself, yet I can feel slight stubble in areas I shaved not eight hours ago, if that. I'm not sure if this rate is normal, but it seems excessive. It's a bit frustrating. Kind of like if all my hair were falling out. I mean, if I actually wanted it. Shouldn't it stay satisfyingly smooth at least the majority of the day?

On the other hand, I don't think people who have their hair burned out are crazy anymore.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:27:52 AM »
the Quest for the Perfect Shave--we don't talk enough about that around here actually.  But, I have found that as time, 2+ years have passed, it's rare that I don't get a pretty good one every morning.  Additional help in extending the length of time is to wait about an hour after rising to shave if possible--lots of different ideas about why this seems to be a universal experience. 
I find that running my fingers over my scalp after drying off will reveal a "problem" that I couldn't discern while wet.  And then the other variable is the rate a guy's hair grows, it does differ.  Different areas seem to grow faster, for me it's the really sparse stuff on top, maybe because there isn't much tissue between the skin and bone, or maybe it's the surviving hairs trying to again remind me who started the fight, even though I finished it.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 08:28:56 AM »
It all takes time  - -I am still trying different ways to shave   and different times  (after three months)   The first time I shaved my head   - - it  was raw also - - - -We all miss spots - - but eventually you will get it  - - and it sure feels good and looks even better - - - - -
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:41:49 PM by mangosink12572 »

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
Although practice and/or a different razor/blade might improve your shaving results I don't think it is possible to shave every part of the dome every single time the perfect way.
It took several months before I got used to the micro stubble appearing occasionally in the afternoon on some spots but now it's OK with me.

Don't overdo the search for perfection. 8)
Ach du meine Nase!