Author Topic: Lance's Fire Department Interview  (Read 29685 times)

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Lance's Fire Department Interview
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2007, 03:40:04 PM »
you guys are really gonna swell her damn head. then i won't be able to do anything with her attitude. ha ha  missed ya HC

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline HotCajun

• Super Sly
    • myspace
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2007, 06:53:23 PM »
YOu guys really ROCK!!!!!!!! I love you all....so back to topic.....we are all behind you lance!!!!!!! :@`

KC

« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2007, 10:31:45 AM »
I'm pulling for you with the career job-- firefighting does get into your blood and can become very addictive.  Just keep with the process and don't overly stress; it is a waiting game.  A good friend who was career in Fairfax County, ended up relocating to the tidewater area due to his wife's job and felt the process was fair and straightforward.  He is now serving with the Chesepeake FD and very happy.

Look foward to following your progress; remember. don't ever give up.

Ken

jusbnme

« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
I'm pulling for you with the career job-- firefighting does get into your blood and can become very addictive.  Just keep with the process and don't overly stress; it is a waiting game.  A good friend who was career in Fairfax County, ended up relocating to the tidewater area due to his wife's job and felt the process was fair and straightforward.  He is now serving with the Chesepeake FD and very happy.

Look foward to following your progress; remember. don't ever give up.

Ken

Thanks for the kind words bro.  I appreciate it.   O0

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2007, 05:45:18 AM »
Hey Lance, welcome back.  Glad to see you posting up again.  What's up on the fire dept interview?  Any updates?
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

jusbnme

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2007, 03:23:13 PM »
Hey Lance, welcome back.  Glad to see you posting up again.  What's up on the fire dept interview?  Any updates?

Yeah, I'm glad to be back too.  As a matter of fact the whole "fire department" and "job issue" with me is why I haven't been posting lately.  Just wanted some alone time to sort things out because I'm getting a little stressed about the whole thing.  The second city I interviewed with are taking their time getting in touch with me to let me know if they want me or not.  They were supposed to get back with me within a few weeks.  My interview was over a month ago.  Where the process has taken longer than expected I have had more time to think about all the ends and outs.  To be honest, I don't know if my heart is 100% in it anymore.  But who knows?  But I don't want to whine too much.  Besides I know things always work out best in the end one way or the other so I'm not too worried.  I have a great wife and a wonderful son who keep my chin up everyday.  We all have our health and I can't ask for much more than that.  Thanks for inquiring bro.

jusbnme

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2007, 03:24:23 PM »
I have mondo respect for firefighters(or firies as they are called in Australia). During some bad forest fires(or bushfires as they are called in Australia) last year the NSW Fire Brigade saved the homes of around 100 families when a careless driver through a cig butt out the window. Much of Australias eastern seaboard and inland is heavily forested and the fire fighters here are among the best in the world.

Good luck Lance in  your endeavor with becoming a firefighter.

Thanks so much for the kind words.  I have read a few of your posts before I started back on the forum and you seem like a good guy.  Glad to have you here.  Thanks for the encouragement.   O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2007, 04:12:06 PM »
lance.... gr8 2 have ya back.  the sbg forum wasn't the same without u.  i'm gonna keep u in my prayers & hope things go your way.  remember..... tough times don't last but tough people do!!!!  c ya around the forum.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
I have mondo respect for firefighters(or firies as they are called in Australia). During some bad forest fires(or bushfires as they are called in Australia) last year the NSW Fire Brigade saved the homes of around 100 families when a careless driver through a cig butt out the window. Much of Australias eastern seaboard and inland is heavily forested and the fire fighters here are among the best in the world.

Good luck Lance in  your endeavor with becoming a firefighter.

Thanks so much for the kind words.  I have read a few of your posts before I started back on the forum and you seem like a good guy.  Glad to have you here.  Thanks for the encouragement.   O0

Just glad to be a part of it bud. O0

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2007, 12:37:23 PM »
Lance buddy, I know this is an old post and I just read it for the first time today.  You are right..you have your family and health that is all that matters.  But I do wish you alot of luck and prayers.  Just hang in there...God never said life was going to be easy.  What is awesome about the difficult times...is if you look back on all the times you struggled....how much have you grown?  Its all a growing process, who knows...but God knows..he has what he wants for you planned out.  Just live your life and enjoy it....if most of the time is spent in worry....you have wasted the greastest gift God has ever given you..your life and family! 
Tak'er easy bro......prayin for ya
Tim

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »

...My interview was over a month ago....To be honest, I don't know if my heart is 100% in it anymore.  But who knows? 

Hey Lance...how's it going, brutha?  Are you moving forward with the F.D.?  Hang in there, man.  I and my wife have been going through the whole STRESS OUT / FREAK OUT as to where to go from here.  So I know how uncomfortable it can be, buddy.

For me it has led to me entering the process for the sheriff's dept.  So I know how each phase and each waiting period is a real nail biter.

jusbnme

« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2007, 02:19:25 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement bro and to everyone else that has always checked in here on little 'ol me.  ;D  For real though I am very appreciative.  But just to give you an update I've sort of put the fire dept. on the back burner for now.  I've had 2 cities turn me down and the processes are so freakin' long that it's just driving me crazy.  Even though they keep advertising that they want people with no experience to train they keep taking people with volunteer time in.  Or people that have some classes under their belts or certificates already.  I've actually decided to go a different route.  Well, as for now that is my plan.  It's just a thought for now because really, who knows what tomorrow may bring?  But anyway, I've been thinking of going back to school to become a registered nurse.  It's something I had checked into a long time ago even before the firefighting idea came up.  I just never acted on it.  I wished I had back then because it would have made things a lot easier on me now.  I'm getting ready to start an overnight job here soon to help catch us up on our built up bills.  Once we get our funds straight again I'm going to check into the local community college that is right around the corner from me.  I know right off there are going to be a handful of prerequisites I'm going to have to take.  But if I do pursue this I will have a few options as far as the nursing program itself.  The c.c. offers one on their campus and then there is a few local hospitals that offer the program.  I've always enjoyed helping people as much as I can and I want to get some kind of satisfaction out of my job.  Plus, from what I hear the pay isn't too shabby either.  My sister is in the program now at the c.c. and my wife's friend just finished school.  They both have confidence in me that I could do it despite how well I didn't do in high school.  But like they said, and like I have said many of times, back then I didn't care about much.  Now I have a family and my mind is in the right place.  I've also gotten some very helpful advice and encouragement from another sly bro.  Thanks for all the great feedback Warhawk.  O0  Like I said though, it's only a thought right now.  Who knows what can happen down the road? 

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2007, 04:29:12 AM »
Hey Lance I'm sorry to hear that the Firefighter route didnt go as planned but who knows? It could still happen and I would encourage you  keep at it if it something that you want to do. Life,as you know quite well, doesnt always follow a straight path that we are able to see. We have to do our best with everything and in your case,being there for your son and wife and take comfort in the love that you have for them.

I now work in a call centre after I had a falling out with my previous employer of 6 years. Never in 3 million years did I think I'd be in an office job but an opportunity presented itself so I took it. You just dont know whats on the other side of the door eh.

I wish you the best in all your endeavors bro.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2007, 09:06:18 AM »
Like I said in my PM, Lance....at age 30 I only had a G.E.D. (didn't actually graduate H.S.)....goofed around BIG TIME in H.S.

Once you do well at the College level....especially getting an A.A. or B.A., high school don't matter anymore.  I graduated with honors in college at age 34 and since then the G.E.D. in High School hasn't hurt me one lick.  Moved on to masters level stuff (M.B.A. & M.Div.) at age 34 through 37 which has served me well though I have not yet finished a masters degree.   Even after my B.A., I had to go back to C.C. to take care of prereqs for my M.B.A. work.

Also, financial struggles are the pits....VERY uncomfortable, man.  When you and your wife get through them, it will make your marriage stronger.  A lot of marriages end in divorce because of financial problems.  Just allow them to make you BETTER not BITTER.

Nursing is an honorable field, bro.  Do well in college (c.c. or otherwise) and you have plenty of time to make your future a bright one.

r.m.